PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Gov targets violent video games

crazy3dman
12-17-2004, 05:51 AM
I did a search, don't think this has been posted yet.
December 16, 2004

BY DAVE MCKINNEY Chicago Sun-Times Springfield Bureau Chief

SPRINGFIELD -- With "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" atop many gift-giving lists, Gov. Blagojevich wants state lawmakers to do more to keep such violent and sexually explicit video games out of the hands of kids.

In an assault on the video gaming industry, the governor today will call on lawmakers to approve new restrictions subjecting retailers to potential jail time and fines of up to $5,000 if they sell or rent violent or sexually charged video games to those younger than 18.

more here-> http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-video16.html

Zarf
12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
I did a search, don't think this has been posted yet.
December 16, 2004

BY DAVE MCKINNEY Chicago Sun-Times Springfield Bureau Chief

SPRINGFIELD -- With "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" atop many gift-giving lists, Gov. Blagojevich wants state lawmakers to do more to keep such violent and sexually explicit video games out of the hands of kids.

In an assault on the video gaming industry, the governor today will call on lawmakers to approve new restrictions subjecting retailers to potential jail time and fines of up to $5,000 if they sell or rent violent or sexually charged video games to those younger than 18.

more here-> http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-video16.html

This is a *good* thing, finally someone 'gets' it. These sorts of games can and do affect the way cildren think just as anything else in their enviorment does even if they are relativley harmless to rational and sane adults. Keep it out of their hands until they are old enough to be held fully responsible for their own actions.

Cheers,
Zarf

FloydBishop
12-17-2004, 05:37 PM
There is a ratings system for a reason. I think fining those stores who sell or rent games to a person who is not supposed to have them, based on ratings, is a good idea. How else will the ESRB's rating system be enforced?

I would argue that if inacted, the fines should be extended to films as well. Theaters and video rental stores, I think, have an even greater responsibility. In films, the line between fantasy and reality is even more blurred.

Mike Pauza
12-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Wow!

I wonder if the law will ever be extended to effect game developers in Illinois? That could screw up a game company here in town.

crazy3dman
12-17-2004, 06:19 PM
I think the law is really about making it more difficult for minors to get their hands on these kinds of violent/sexually explicit games. I don't think they are trying to stop any games from being made.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.