PDA

View Full Version : New stills and footage from Hitchiker's Guide

Dargon
12-17-2004, 02:41 AM
It's not how I pictured any of the characters, but they've at least chosen a great Arthur...

http://www.kingstreetmedia.tv/hhg/index.htm

Per-Anders
12-17-2004, 02:55 AM
yes, i think many of us have different images in our own head, and many picture the characters from the bbc series. what i really hadn't expected was marvin to be live action (well not with that design). i'm guessing these are set rehearsals then (does anyone know if zaphod will have his extra head and arm come finish?).

YerEvilTwin
12-17-2004, 06:12 AM
looks to be as godawful as the show. Watching that show was like someone self-induce paper cuts. I will never be able to say enough bad things abut that show. I'm going to go drink some antifreeze to help erase the memories now.

love

Clanger
12-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Hitchhikers is the funnest sci-fi story ever written, well at least I haven't come across anything better.
Pure Genius.

assafk
12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
How come Zaphod has only one head and two arms?
Maybe the extra head and arm will be added by CG?
Probably...

Magne Hage
12-17-2004, 01:44 PM
OMG it looks horrible! :sad:

JMulder
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Yep, there's nothing like judging a film based on pictures of production that look like they were taken with a camera-phone.

I'm not defending the film (I still can't see Mos Def as Ford Prefect), I'm just attacking the all-too-common attitude here that the quality of the final product is indicated by the grainy, blurred pictures somebody posted on the web.

WingedOne
12-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Mr. Prosser still isn't wearing a fur hat. :)

Madyeti47
12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
He better have a second head when they're done.

Maybe the shots look awful becasue they're not actual footage, but off someones disposable camera or something like that. Also I bet there's alot of post production that needs to be done?

malducin
12-17-2004, 05:04 PM
How come Zaphod has only one head and two arms?
Maybe the extra head and arm will be added by CG? ... He better have a second head when they're done. Also I bet there's alot of post production that needs to be done?
Yes, a lot of the VFX work is being done by Cinesite UK.

CelticArtist
12-17-2004, 08:40 PM
woohoo, let's all play the 'Early judgement call" game ;) Oh, and where is Marvin? he's nowhere in those shots, maybe i'm just missing something though. And note, it says in the files "Zaphod (note his shoulder)" i'm assuming this is because of the marker on his shoulder saying where the second head will be placed. I might be wrong, but frankly, until i see finished production movies (no, not stills), i won't make any judgement. Hitchhikers is one of my favorite books of all time, and i have high standards, but until i see proof that they've screwed up, i'll believe in the team making this movie. Oh, and nowhere...NOwhere in the books does it say Ford Prefect either has an english accent, or is white, so i have no problem with Mos Def as ford, as long as he stays in character and doesn't add american black guy stereotypes to the role. OK, i'm done.

Supervlieg
12-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Oh, and where is Marvin? he's nowhere in those shots, maybe i'm just missing something though.
Don't panic. Marvin is in picture number 9, well actually just his head. Its the big round thing. Here's hoping he'll get a proper cg makeover.

CelticArtist
12-17-2004, 09:43 PM
ah, i stand corrected about Marvin, thanks, still withholding judgement, actually though, i don't think that big white thing is his head if that's what you're referring to, i see the body of the guy (willow dude, can't remember his name) to the left of the camera, i'm assuming that's Marvin in partial costume.

Per-Anders
12-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Oh, and nowhere...NOwhere in the books does it say Ford Prefect either has an english accent, or is white, so i have no problem with Mos Def as ford, as long as he stays in character and doesn't add american black guy stereotypes to the role. OK, i'm done.
well, i believe it does say that he had told arthur he was an out of work actor from guildford... which would rather lead you to assume that he would in fact have an english accent.

i think he'll probably be a good ford prefect, and maybe recall somewhere that adams himself might have said something about always thinking of ford as being a black guy

i must agree though that i do hope they haven't cast him in the role for some studio pc "token black guy" reason.

Bentagon
12-17-2004, 10:00 PM
I doubt I'll ever see this movie. Not because it looks bad, but simply because I refuse to read the books when I've already seen the film (LOTR, Charlie and the chocolate factory, etc.), and I refuse to see the film if I have good memory of the book. This "trilogy of four parts" was so great I don't want all my imaginative memories to be spoiled by a directors interpretation. Unfortunatly, though, I've already seen a picture of Melvin... and I thought he'd look like Bender :rolleyes:

- Bentagon

surlymonkey
12-17-2004, 10:12 PM
awesome looking towel.

Spankspeople
12-17-2004, 11:32 PM
As far as what Douglas Adams intended for the characters, he's been quoted as saying that as long as Arthur is British, he really doesn't care about the rest of 'em. =P

CelticArtist
12-18-2004, 12:25 AM
did it say he was from guildford? i believe you, just have to double check for my own sanity (you know how that kind of little stupid detail can drive you insane sometimes) i'm re-reading the series (have the leatherbound book with all of the books) for about the 4th or 5th time, but theres alot of little details. And yah, Douglas Adams was extremely loose about his universe, the book had little to do with the radio show, the radio show had very little to do with the film, and the video game had almost nothing to do with the rest of the thing ;) he liked to be random and didn't like committing to anything, hell, how many plots are in Hitchhikers (the book) that never get resolved, or the characters, instead of going on your typical epic romp, just go, "ah, well, what can ya do" and move on with their lives, it's one of the things that makes the series amazing. And, he wrote almost the entire story for the movie, he never wanted to direct it, but yah, most of the time, the translations blow, let's hope this is an exception.

Spankspeople
12-18-2004, 02:47 AM
After having recently listened to the radio show, I would be quite dissapointed if the movie followed the books too closely. I was actually looking forward to seeing how Arthur's revenge on Zaphod would have gone, before they made the whole thing a hallucination on Zaphod's part and started after plot straight from the books(since Adams isn't exactly around to write any more)...

Still dissapointed in Marvin, though. He does look like he would match the slow, depressed voice that goes with the character, but I always expected him to be rather tall and lanky...

assafk
12-18-2004, 03:39 AM
and I thought he'd look like Bender :rolleyes:

- Bentagon
Now that I come to think of it, thats exactly how I imagined him! :eek: Never thought of this like that...

BigJay
12-18-2004, 04:55 AM
I was reading a blog by the author (do a search for the offical website) in it he mentioned that douglas adams had 2 heads and 3 arms in the radio show because it sounded great but wasn't as keen on it in a movie so Zaphod will not have them in the movie. I am really paraphrasing so go read his blog.

As for the images. As the coolest guy in the universe, whose so hip he has to go through the doorway sideways. He's just this guy you know! I can't see this guy as Zaphod at all.

I pictured him more as a rock star look, mic jagger, ozzy kind of look. you know as someone who has done every drug out there and then when they got so boring invented the pan galactic gargle blaster... this is not that guy I imagined so he is going to have to have a really good spin on what zaphod is suppoed to be for me to like this.

Marvin I am not sure of at all. I'll wait till I see more on him. he could go either way.

I'm just crossing my fingers at this point. Until then I'll just watch the tv series.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.