PDA

View Full Version : mental Ray Anti-aliasing

Dr. Ira Kane
12-16-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm working on some project now and I need quite sharp image, the thing is when I set mr AA to production quality the image is not really 'production' quality. Lots of details are lost and even when I set the AA to 4:4 (just for test) the image gets only a little bit better, not to mention that the render time goes up like hell so it's obviously useless. I did this old technique with PS - render bigger resolution, apply sharp filter and then scale it down a little bit. This way I get what I want, the image is sharp and nice. Is there another way to do this ? I need to render many frames ( I can automate this in PS, sure not a big deal), but this is interesting that I can't get sharp picture directly from mr. For stuff like this would you guys use some sharp filters in AE for example ? Maybe DF ? I'm really curious about your approach to this. Cheers!

slipknot66
12-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Well.. if you want sharp images, try to use the Lanczos filter, it will help.

Dr. Ira Kane
12-16-2004, 01:34 PM
This looks way much better! Thanks! I think the rest will be done in post anyway but it looks already great.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.