PDA

View Full Version : maya question

hyenaman
12-16-2004, 11:10 AM
:)hi guys.....
i need your help.....
does any one know how to setup hair or flappy ears etc in maya so that the overlaps are animated automatically.
please help........

glassefx
12-16-2004, 01:19 PM
All I can decern is soft body dynamics... I would try posting this question inside of the Maya forum and go a little deeper into what your trying to produce...

peace

EdHarriss
12-16-2004, 01:21 PM
- moving this thread to the Maya forum...

seven6ty
12-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Yup, spline IK system, converted into a soft body dynamic. There's actually a tutorial specifically on setting up ears and tails this way. A quick google search should be able to turn them up. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this one out before I got it working, so feel free to hit me up with any questions about it.

hyenaman
12-17-2004, 07:10 AM
hey thanks....
i tried the spline ik with the softbody option with different goal weights .it works fine where its created but as soon as the rig moves it goes all over the place....
do u also know the website where the tutorial is ,cos i cant seems to find it...
thanks again for the quick response....

spurv
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
You can also (if using Maya6) create a hair curve from that spline IK.

seven6ty
12-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey, sounds like you might be having a parenting problem, probably with both the joint chain and your IK curve getting incoming values and causing a double transform.

There's the classic brief description of this joint chain found at: http://www.digitalgamedeveloper.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=19864

But there's an even better tutorial in the book "Inside Maya 5", by Adams, Miller and Sims, which was worth the cost alone for me almost, just for that tutorial, it's very thorough and tells you how to make a tail control that has one joint chain bound to the skin, then two other joint chains it is constrained to. One is a regular spline IK driven chain, and the other is the spline IK soft body chain. It also goes into all of the grouping you need and so on. There are a few tutorials online from that book, but I don't think that specific one is, so you may want to consider checking out the book. Anyways, yah yah. It took me a long time to get it all figured out and eventually the parenting was killing me too, so I feel your pain on that one, lol.

hyenaman
12-20-2004, 05:11 AM
thanks again dudes.....
will do a couple of more tests and get back...

should get that book.....
im an animator u see and have only a basic rigging knowledge.....i usually get a fully rigged model according to my specifications so i can just get into the animation straight.....
guess thats being a little spoilt.....

now i have started my own little short and i have to do my rigging my self.....
woe is me....
but it seems ok....will get through....alive...he he...
thanks for all the support dudes...
really appreciate it.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.