PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding how to finance independent filmmaking

kamsvag
12-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi!

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make a buck from a CG film project that you've build all alone at home during your spare time?:deal:

Does anyone here have that experience?

I'm just curious.

beatoperator
12-16-2004, 09:19 AM
well... that's my idea, making a film, then earn some buck from it... (but I am not making fully CG movie for now)
I saw some guys from http://www.hackermovies.com/ made no-budget movie, then sold it to cable tv station...

kamsvag
12-16-2004, 09:27 AM
I got an old comicbook, old enough to be hard to find today, with a story excellent for a CG short inteded for children. I'm thinking of see if I can buy the copyrights to make a CG short from it, cause it's a story I realy enjoyed myself when I was a kid and from a production point of view it wouldn't be imposible to pull of eighter by yourself since it's only a handfull of characters and not that many different sets to build.

I just wanna get a general idea of how much one could get for a 15-20 minute long pice if selling it to a tv station or publisher.

I have absolutely no idea myself of the prices for such productions, or what it would cost to buy the rights to create a CG short from a excisting story.

Does anyone know about these things?

tibes
12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
There's at least one film site on the net that will take submissions of indie films and pay the creators per view of their film. They only take films that meet their quality requirements (there's an approval process).

I can't remember the URL right now though, maybe someone else knows?

marchermann
12-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Marketing your own film by yourself can take quite an effort. You might want to ...

* Try and get into festivals. Even if you don't win one of the cash prizes, the exposure might help you get regocnized by a distributor.

* Set up a nice website for the film with a teaser or trailer to generate some interest. This is how I got into Atomfilms. Which brings me to...

* Submit to ifilm.com or atomfilms.com or similar sites.

* Get in touch with companies doing short film compilations.

Just in general market your film actively, don't wait for the call. I wrote to a TV station asking whether they'd be interested - and they were :). I couldn't believe it, but sometimes things can be this simple.

marchermann
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
I just wanna get a general idea of how much one could get for a 15-20 minute long pice if selling it to a tv station or publisher.
When I did this research a year ago, I was told that it was about 500 Euros per minute. But I guess rates can vary considerably from station to station and from country to country.

Marc

dmxdxl
12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I have made a filmn 12 mins in length, and I dont want to make money off it, but I dont have any webspace so I cant show it to anyone...is there ANY possbile way to get around this or should I Just wait and buy some webspace and make a website? (spent 11months on it)

kamsvag
12-16-2004, 08:33 PM
I made a briefe search for free webhosting and found a list.
http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-hosts.php

I think this one looks ok.
http://www.00freehost.com/

Also, if you wanna have a free domain, check this one, I use it myself.
http://www.dot.tk/

juniah
12-16-2004, 08:44 PM
I have made a filmn 12 mins in length, and I dont want to make money off it, but I dont have any webspace so I cant show it to anyone...is there ANY possbile way to get around this or should I Just wait and buy some webspace and make a website? (spent 11months on it)
try 395hositng.com

I pay only 3.95/month for a pretty decent amount of webspace. you could set this up just for yout flic. if you require more space, their prices are ver reasonable.

Juniah

sonicstrawbery
12-19-2004, 09:15 PM
I'll be interested too, For my part i'm in France and i often see short films (cg or not) on Arte and Canal +, they seem very interested in diffusing that kind of programs, anyone knows what are the approximate price they could pay for them...

Matty2Phatty
12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure if it's like this in other countries, but here in australia we have the Australian Film Commision, who will help fund your projects in an effort to boost the australian film industry. The usually only give out like $20 000 but their upper limit is $1.4 million... perhaps the government whereever you're at has something similar?

dmxdxl
12-21-2004, 01:11 AM
$20,000 would be wicked but I highly doubt I will be getting anything close to that....

Matty2Phatty
12-21-2004, 02:02 AM
I highly doubt I will be getting anything close to that....
Yeah i think your case is different anyhow. You've actually made your product already. I think the film commision give grants so you can actually get the equipment and staff to make your movie. I dunno how this works with CG, i've never looked into it. The other thing too is that if you get funding from them they take 50% of all profits.

Quizboy
12-21-2004, 04:37 PM
if that thing with the Australian Film commission is anything like the Dutch Film Commission, it doesn't matter what state your film is in, you can go to them to get money. Actually the more you've got done the better because they are confident you can do the job (you've done it!)

you just have to make up a good story about why you need more money, like to distribute it, print it to film, get post-processing work done on it, extend it. Redo the characters and animation with better lighting, whatever...

so if it's already done, good for you! go get money.

SamChen
12-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Regarding "making a buck" from doing CG at home, I've had some success w/ my 2 films "Cat Ciao" and "Eternal Gaze." Here are the following channels that have paid off for me:

Film Festivals - certain festivals will award cash prizes for best animation. Some of which for me were Palm Springs Shorts, USA Film Festival, SkipCity Japan, etc... this ranges from $500-$5000

Television - through my distributor ApolloCinema, they've been able to sell the license to broadcast rights to a few TV stations all over the world. The pay varies quite a bit here from $200-$2000 depending on the country and channel, and the running time of your film.

Spike & Mike's - this popular touring festival pays a lump sum to play as part of their lineup.

DVD - there are various DVD compilations out there that you can license to... such as AnimationTrip.com (formerly Odyssey3D of "Mind's Eye"). The $ is dependent on running time and a percentage of sales.

Calling Card - this could be priceless. if your film does well on the festival circuit and falls into the hands of decision makers higher up, this could parlay into a deal of some sort. This has happened for me. Your mileage will vary here depending on luck, connection, and persistence.
And yes, definitely set up a website and get it out there as much as possible. A good site to raise buzz recently is AnimWatch.com. Pretty good traffic. Of course, there's always FilmThreat.com, AintItCool.com and CGNetworks.com. Hope that helps!

garethjax
12-25-2004, 09:08 PM
May i suggest a revolutionary tecnique ?

Distribute it using the Peer-2-peer networks.

Create the "seed" of the file sharing on your website, than use bittorrent, emule, and so on to spread it.
This means that you will need a broadband connection to start the seeding...

You can create a bittorrent source easily with this software:
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

If you need more help, please ask :thumbsup:

dmxdxl
12-26-2004, 02:20 AM
call all the NEWBS u want but I dunno what to do with this..I made a torrent of my video and sent it to my buddy to see if it would work but all he got was an error saying could not connect to tracker....so how do I make this shit work YO?

Marc-OlivierBouchard
12-26-2004, 06:15 AM
In canada, we are blessed with the existence of the National Film Board, whose mission is to finance "auteur" animation films. You should give it a check you can rack up to 30 000$ And you get total freedom. Oh Canada!

garethjax
12-26-2004, 12:21 PM
call all the NEWBS u want but I dunno what to do with this..I made a torrent of my video and sent it to my buddy to see if it would work but all he got was an error saying could not connect to tracker....so how do I make this shit work YO?
Newbs? Why? That's pretty new as application, i was myself rather clueless just last week :)

Don't worry, i'm ready to help :)

in order to "share" a file through bit torrent you need 3 elements:

- The .torrent file: it's created in various way (ABC, make torrent, etc.) but it always points to...

- The Tracker: it's a web service which distribute the .torrent and update it with the current seeds and peers. But to start the sharing you need...

- The seed (one or more). A complete copy of the file(s) shared. You start it with your favourite BT client. Since you have the complete file, you start uploading immediatly.

The error you got was quite logical: there was no tracker! There are some free tracker, but on of the best i've found is loki torrent, which is also free.

read the faqs:
http://www.lokitorrent.com/extras-faq.php#section5
get a free account, upload your torrent, and start sharing it :)

Of course i'd like to see it :D

dmxdxl
12-26-2004, 09:14 PM
just waiting for the conformation email.....
and as far as my movie goes this is the blurb I have written up to explain it, and mind u it was made on an amd 1700+ (1.47ghz) with 512 ddr, geforce 4 ti 4600, over the course of 11 months, and all by myself but it isnt nearly as good as fifty percent grey or anything...ull see haha....

there is no one clear catagory this would fall under but it does loosly represnt a mans life, turning from an early happy, more free flowing lifestyle, that slowy but ubruptly changes into a fowl dark uninhabitable existance that is mere shell than that of a life he thought he had, which pretty much means he was once a happy man but his life takes an obvious turn for the worst. The reason I say it is loosly based on this simplistic storyline, is due to it's unhinged approach from reality...they are far from understandable, and fermiliar ideas we assosiate with HAPPY, and SAD...this is all due to the ideas that swell inside my mind, and this is how I see the world...plus I am still learnin 3d on my own merit without schools....so enjoy hopefully soon...(plus dabbling in bob marley's hobby wouldnt hurt while watchin it *winks*

garethjax
12-26-2004, 10:46 PM
the world...plus I am still learnin 3d on my own merit without schools....so enjoy hopefully soon...(plus dabbling in bob marley's hobby wouldnt hurt while watchin it *winks*
It Looks very deep and interesting! I can't wait to see it :thumbsup:

dmxdxl
12-27-2004, 07:40 PM
I have aplled for membership like 8 times now at lokitorrent and they havnt sent ONE confirmation email, and then they delete my account because I dont respond to their confirmation email they DIDNT send...this is fruitless....

garethjax
12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I have aplled for membership like 8 times now at lokitorrent and they havnt sent ONE confirmation email, and then they delete my account because I dont respond to their confirmation email they DIDNT send...this is fruitless....
I've received it in a matter of minutes, i suppose there is a problem with you email account. (if you use MSN, check che junk folder)

Otherwise write me a private message with your email, and i'll send you an invite for a gmail account!! (the webmail of google). That will work for sure, because i've done it!

You're not giving up soldier!!! I won't allow it!!! :)

jjstanley
12-28-2004, 12:12 AM
I agree that peer to peer is a great way to get the word out. Another option coming on the scene is CutomFlix http://www.CustomFlix.com (http://www.CustomFlix.com) . Their method looks very promising and almost no risk! Pocketmovies.net also gets a lot of exposure and can get your film seen. I have found that getting your work seen usually comes before making a buck so it should be your first priority. Once you have a bit of a reputation it becomes much easier to work the festival ciruit.

dmxdxl
01-12-2005, 12:21 AM
dmxdxl21@hotmail.com

and if this works I would again like to state that my movie is not a CONVETINAL story, (and most will think of it as just garbage, abstract ideas, nothin more)....read my earlier posts to see what my take on it is....

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.