PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Hosting Provider!!

policarpo
12-18-2001, 01:12 AM
--------

I know this should be a discussion about 3D and VFX...but I thought that since my site was all 3D and VFX content it might be appropriate...if it needs to be pulled, I totally understand...but I just felt that we've all experienced what I am about to cover at least once or twice, and felt that you great people might be able to help me out...thanks in advance and I apologize for the pleading content of my message...

:D

Hello Everyone,

I need some advise on who I can use as a Web Site Hosting Provider. I am currently using http://www.featureprice.com as a provider (the same provider cgchannel.com uses...plug plug :p ) and I'm experiencing some bandwidth problems right now and it is near impossible to hit my site to view it (many thanks cgchannel for the plug 'though, I am totally honored!! :D ).

What I am in search of is a Hosting provider that will not put this hourly bottleneck restriction on me as is currently being done (they limit a site to 57,000,000 bits per hour unless they pay an addtional $300.00 per year in order to double this hourly capacity).

I'm currently talking with them to find out how I am using up this much bandwidth per hour, and am not really getting anywhere constructive other than the "Look at the agreement," and "Contact billing" answer. I'm going to try and work out some sort of deal with them by posting a banner to their site from mine...I mean, if I'm getting that many hits per hour, wouldn't it be in their interest to have such a link at my site?? :D

So, if anyone out there uses a provider for their high bandwidth permissions at a decent rate, I would really appreciate it. Or if you are using FeaturePrice and can offer any insight that would be great!

...Or if someone can clarify how this 57,000,000 bits per hour (that is 6mb per hour isn't it) is getting chewed up so fast, I would really appreciate it.

many many thanks everyone!

-p o l i c a r p o

www.cgchannel.com rocks!!!!!!!!!! :D

Jean Eric
12-18-2001, 01:39 AM
This is one of the problems CG Channel faces more and more often. We do like to plug talented artists such as yourself, but often, the problem is that most of these individual galleries or web-sites are not designed to handle our traffic. Many sites are literally crushed by our traffic, especially if you have video.

Geocities sites usually crash within 10-15 minutes after we plug them. A few weeks ago, we plugged Alias|Wavefront's demo-reel on their server. Only a few hours later, AW's webmaster asked us to remove the link because we were crashing their server... (that's the kind of traffic we have)

We nearly get 20,000 unique visits every day, making us one of the most popular sites in the industry (in comparison VFX Pro gets about 80,000 unique visits a month).

Most service providers will charge you for the traffic peaks you get during the month. But in our case, the peaks we provide you will only last a few days. Traffic will especially be high if your link is at the top of our page. After that, traffic usually returns to normal (and if you are really good, you may have a few job offers and make some new friends along the way). So, a service provider that charges you for the peaks may not be a good idea, but they are usually more affordable.

Most service provider will cap your traffic to a certain level. You can't exceed a certain amount of kbits per second. Beyond that, your server will just be almost impossible to get through or will just vanish until traffic returns below that critical level.

What you need to do is find a service provider that will charge you for the actual bandwidth that you use, not the peaks. Some service providers will charge between 3-20$ per GB depending on the service they offer. This is especially good if you expect your traffic surges often (due to a plug by us for example).

If we do find a solution, we'll share it with you. But in your case, it may not be a good idea to switch just now...

policarpo
12-18-2001, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the insight and advice.

I didn't realize how heavily I would be hit...but in a way I guess I should have expected it. CGChannel is the best site out there!

:D

I guess I'll hold off changing Providers...feature price has been good so far, I guess I just didn't anticipate that I'd get a lot of visits so fast...I guess I was a little overwhelmed (thanks again for the plug, I really appreciate it) and I just wanted people out there to see my work and let me know how they felt about it.

I guess I'll keep under the radar from now on and just post stuff in the news groups as I update my site.

cheers!

-p o l i c a r p o

sigma
12-18-2001, 11:52 AM
I also experienced bandwidth problems when i hosted thru featureprice.com . Personally i couldnt put up with it, I only get 4000 visits a day and i had more blackouts than i ever had. Ive been on a couple hosts since i got my site up in January 2000. I decided to switch to burlee.com earlier this year and I get about 99% uptime. Im sure featureprice.com is very reliable if you choose the right package ( like cgchannel ) but for someone who cant spend that much burlee.com is perfect. Now im not trying to sell this to anyone Im just speaking from my own experience. 12.95 a month for unlimited bandwidth and storage is a pretty good deal.

:)

Matt-Clark
12-18-2001, 12:07 PM
The two times I've been featured on the CGChannel front page
I've have daily hits to my site peaking at around 5000, so that's where your bandwidth is going. Imagine, if you will, how easy it is to accumilate 1 megabyte of downloads when browsing a image intensive website. If all of these visitors are doing that then you've had 5gb of bandwidth in one day....

I use 3DLuvr, and I'm astonished how Pedja keeps the whole thing running so smooth, especially considering how many other big artists site he hosts, as well as the competition site, the tutorials etc etc etc...

policarpo
12-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I'm trying to find another provider that can support higher levels of traffic for the short term and long term. It's not that I expect a lot of traffic each day, it's just that I hate the fact that there is such a restrictive bottleneck on my site.

It's really very annoying when I just want people to be able to see some of my work.

I was reading the fine print @ Burlee.com and it seems they have a clause where they could theoretically restrict the total throughput of a site if that site in question takes up more than 10% of the servers resources...i'm not sure what that means...but it seems like that means the more hits you get the more likely you are not to gain access to your site.

It's really frustrating having to deal with this sort of stuff when all you really want to do is do work, post work, and talk with others about your work.

Oh well...as soon as I discover something I'll let everyone know.

-p o l i c a r p o

hrmmm...i wonder if my work is good enough for 3dluvr now that I have my site fully operational?

any thoughts of vouchers for me and my site?:D

sigma
12-18-2001, 12:46 PM
I was reading the fine print @ Burlee.com and it seems they have a clause where they could theoretically restrict the total throughput of a site if that site in question takes up more than 10% of the servers resources...i'm not sure what that means...but it seems like that means the more hits you get the more likely you are not to gain access to your site

I never saw that clause. Thx for bringing it to my attention.

Taoizm
12-18-2001, 08:21 PM
I've been very happy with A+ HOSTING (http://www.aplushosting.com/) to date I have 3 seperate URLs hosted with them, and they've been solid. Customer service is far and above the best I've ever encountered. Usually within the hour if not faster. Below is a direct link to their bandwidth policy: A+ Bandwidth policy (http://www.aplushosting.com/english/bandwidth.phtml)

datter
12-18-2001, 08:29 PM
policarpo> let me know if you make any headway with Featureprice, I'm with them and having the exact same problems from time to time.

My solution was to host my videos and other "large" files, off site. (I use a free host over in Europe for that), thus minimizing the hits on my featureprice account.

datter
http://3d.davidtitusproductions.com

Matthias
12-19-2001, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by dtitus
policarpo> let me know if you make any headway with Featureprice, I'm with them and having the exact same problems from time to time.

My solution was to host my videos and other "large" files, off site. (I use a free host over in Europe for that), thus minimizing the hits on my featureprice account.

datter
http://3d.davidtitusproductions.com

Most of the free hosts will delete files, which produces a lot of traffic. Thats my problem, too.

If anyone know a unlimited traffic hosting (e.g. a full server) please answer me. In europe itīs impossible to find an unlimited traffic solution :(

Matthias

Taoizm
12-19-2001, 03:48 AM
check out HOST SEARCH (http://www.hostsearch.com/) put in what you're looking for, and viola. For unlimited there's a company called hostonce.com....I've had very poor service, and performance from them. I recommend avoiding them.

sigma
12-19-2001, 07:00 AM
You might also wanna try TopHost.com (http://www.tophost.com)

Matthias
12-19-2001, 09:27 AM
thank you!

Iīll take a look at those sites...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.