PDA

View Full Version : CGI Captain Scarlet website up...

Aegis Prime
12-16-2004, 01:41 AM
The website for Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet is now up and running - current features include the trailer as well as images of the vehicles and Spectrum personnel. For those interested in a job here at Indestructible there's also a recruitment page :)

www.captainscarlet.com

mattmos
12-16-2004, 02:51 AM
While I really wanted to like this, I am finding it hard to warm to that trailer. Animation, lighting and rendering need some serious attention. The characters have no life to them at all...

playmesumch00ns
12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Judging by the trailer, the quality does seem variable... but then after all the horror stories coming out of that production I think it's great they've got anything rendered at all!

I liked that last shot of Captain Black in the rain...

woodyradica
12-16-2004, 09:58 AM
After Seeing the trailer Im looking forward to seeing the show.

colkai
12-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Until such time as I can produce that sort of amount of work, in that sort of timescale, to a higher quality, I'd have to say they are doing a bang up job.
I know they are struggling to find artists who are willing to move down to southern UK for it.
Now, if they were to offer us Northeners a change of remote working - their lack of artists may cease to be a problem - I know of 5 people myself who'd jump at the chance in that case! :p

Steve Green
12-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I think it holds its own for an all CGI episodic series.

The main criticism I have is that the lack of sound effects in the trailer seems a bit weird, it just feels empty without them.

There are also a handful of shots which let it down (IMHO).

The animation on the robot on the flight deck.
The animation of the hand punching doesn't seem very dynamic.
The guy in the back of the car's collar looks pretty strange, like his head is too small.

Apart from that, there's some nice work there considering how much had to be created.

- Steve

jackal2513
12-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Guys,

Hi there, I am a supervisor here at Captain Scarlet. I would just like to point out that not only is the website still under development but the trailer is almost a year old composed of shots from just episodes 1 & 2 which were complicated by difficulties that the studio had last year and realised in part with completely different software and under an old crew. Since then however we have gone on to complete a further 10 episodes under a very efficient new pipeline set up Ron Thornton. Suffice to say that the quality of the work has improved umpteenfold. We hope to have a new trailer very soon with choice cuts from these 10 episodes and also with proper sound effects.

Next year we go on to complete another 13 episodes in an 8 week turnaround per show. We are all very proud of the work we are doing and the show has provoked a monumental reaction from tv companies, distributors and investors.

kind regards

Richard Morris
CG Supervisor
www.jackals-forge.com (http://www.jackals-forge.com/)

EdHarriss
12-16-2004, 02:32 PM
- Some of those concepts are pretty cool!
- I can't wait to see the new trailer and images.

Lyr
12-16-2004, 02:41 PM
This should have been done as a live action sfx laden production, like Andromeda.

henrikbc
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
I'd love to see a new trailer containing shots from more recent episodes aswell.

And could you post some information elaborating on your choice of software and how you've set up your pipeline with hectic tv-production deadlines in mind? 8 Weeks per show sounds pretty daunting, even with pre made/rigged characters and sets. -How long are the episodes btw? 20-30mins including commercial breaks?

Hope to hear more about your pipeline :)

elvislives
12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
The costs for creating a series like Captain Scarlet as a live action SFX tv series would be phenomenal. Live action requires the rental of set space, a talented team of cameramen and makeup artists and set crew to name but a few. Just looking at the trailer there is a large number of stunts involved in the series, care to ask a team to remake that shot with Scarlet diving off a flying bike, through a glass window and saving Colonel White? I think they would laugh in your face then ask for a big fat pay cheque.

The show is looking great, even without the new trailer.

mikeheinz
12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
we use maya for animation, lightwave for lighting and rendering. shows are 30 minutes with commercials.

DePingus
12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Richard Morris
CG Supervisor
www.jackals-forge.com (http://www.jackals-forge.com/)Holy smokes! Its THEE Jackal!!! I used to love GA! I'm glad to see you're still around and in the biz! :thumbsup:

Pilchard
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Hey there!

I recently did some work experience at Pinewood on CS, and I must agree with Rich Morris, the trailer up doesn't do justice to the stuff that was happening when I was there, (early August).

Can't say too much as I signed a NDA and don't know whats secret and not etc.

Rock on ;)

Neox
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
to be honest, i really don't know why this got plugged :/

solid work of course, but plugged? :shrug:

Bliz
12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
jackal2513 (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=131164) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1818602", true); and MikeHeinz, look at you board puppies with 1 and 10 cgtalk posts to your respective names!

...and you're both so loud at work. :D

mikeheinz
12-16-2004, 04:30 PM
some of us are actually busy in the office working instead of posting

mikeheinz
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
and im not loud, im just assertive :0

CAClark
12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
A more upto date trailer will be much more representative.

Cheers!

willbrand
12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
As another scarlet employee, I think it's worth noting at this point that the studio is actually producing an episode every 2 weeks, not 8

jackal2513
12-16-2004, 05:06 PM
ok, does anyone want a tea cos like i'm going to the kitchen in about 5 :thumbsup:

Richard Morris
CG Supervisor
www.jackals-forge.com (http://www.jackals-forge.com)

fadegboye
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
The Trailer shows only a small fraction of what we have done. When the show is released, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Femi Adegboye

Animator
Td/Lighting
CG Director
LW GURU

www.lemonh.co.uk (http://www.lemonh.co.uk/)

Mahlon
12-16-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm just glad you guys are doing CS. Unbeatable show back in the day, and a perfect vehicle for CGI today. What a great time for Gerry Anderson these days are! Good luck.

Mahlon Bouldin

Obraxis
12-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey guys at Scarlet Towers :)

I'm glad the series is going ahead. I remember seeing job adverts for it about 3 years ago (infact I still have the Scarlet poster from 3DFestival 2003 which I....erm....found.....hehe). I often wondered what happened to the project, glad to see it hasn't gone under. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that it will be on ITV in the UK, will it air at Kids-Times or Prime-Time?

Oh, another thing....you guys still need Maya Animators? ;)

Steve Green
12-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I look forward to see how the new trailer compares...

How many episodes are left to do?

Cheers,

Steve

robertkist
12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
seems the trailer is mostly, or totally, identical to the one here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A2860715
which is a few months old by now and doesn't do the current stuff justice.
I don't know why exactly this trailer made it to the current scarlet website when we have so much good stuff everywhere, but yeah, I have to agree with some posters that pointed out flaws in it.
Anyhow, you can trust me, the show is cool...yup :)

mattmos
12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Guys,

Hi there, I am a supervisor here at Captain Scarlet. I would just like to point out that not only is the website still under development but the trailer is almost a year old composed of shots from just episodes 1 & 2 which were complicated by difficulties that the studio had last year and realised in part with completely different software and under an old crew. Since then however we have gone on to complete a further 10 episodes under a very efficient new pipeline set up Ron Thornton. Suffice to say that the quality of the work has improved umpteenfold. We hope to have a new trailer very soon with choice cuts from these 10 episodes and also with proper sound effects.

Next year we go on to complete another 13 episodes in an 8 week turnaround per show. We are all very proud of the work we are doing and the show has provoked a monumental reaction from tv companies, distributors and investors.

kind regards

Richard Morris
CG Supervisor
www.jackals-forge.com (http://www.jackals-forge.com)
Glad to hear you're on the case. A few guys I know work over there and I sincerely hope that Captain Scarlet turns out to be a success, will look forward to the new trailer!

It seems a bit of a pr boob to be honest, like omation releasing way out of date images for the barnyard.

BillB
12-16-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't know why exactly this trailer made it to the current scarlet website when we have so much good stuff everywhere, but yeah, I have to agree with some posters that pointed out flaws in it.
Anyhow, you can trust me, the show is cool...yup :)
Pretty ambitious for a TV show - the old stuff is impressive enough, flaws notwithstanding.

How are you guys going from MAya to LW? PointOven? Considering a similar pipeline for our next show, interested to hear an comments...

JulianHo
12-17-2004, 03:57 AM
What I would love to see is a "Making of..." book on this show. :bounce: I'm in love with the new designs of the Spectrum vehicles and I'd love to see the concept drawings from the prototype to the finalised designs.

strarup
12-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Hi Bill,

we are using the Beaverproject (http://www.thebeaverproject.com/) to link Maya and Lightwave together... :)

regards

Alex

playmesumch00ns
12-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I look forward to seeing a more finished trailer, there's some quality stuff there already.

So are you animating in maya then rendering in lightwave?

Vossil
12-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Just out of interest what were your reasons for animating in Maya and lighting and rendering in Lightwave?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.