PDA

View Full Version : Cairo and SVG

Apoclypse
12-16-2004, 12:41 AM
I was wondering is svg animatable and is there any programs that lets you export this animation. ( like Flash). The reason I ask is because inspired by the sony vaio I saw at compusa, I saw that they were runniing flash on the desktop and you could drag icons and stuff right on top of it. But I digress I want to do something similar to that in say gnome with the cairo library. I want to know if this is possible and how would I go about doing this in linux. Any help would be appreciated. This is more of a special interest, noyt something critical but i think if i cam pull it off and gnome and kde don't have this type of support I might just have to start might next project by starting from scratch with a whole new set of widgets. Imagine a desktop that moves and acts like all those cool flash animations you see. Except its free and fast ( it would use the cairo library so it will use hardware rendering and stuff).

Anyways I would like to start by customizing current desktop technology to see if this is viable or even practical.

Apoclypse
12-16-2004, 12:48 AM
By the way you guys might be syaing why not post this in say a linux a forum since this does'nt seem to be programming related. But in fact what I am asking for is how do I go about creating an svg desktop ( programming one if neccessary) or just extending an existing desktop by writing some sort of application like gdesklets ( gnome) or superKaramba (KDE).

I really think I'm on to soemthing and I would like to create a totally svg desktop environment with animations like in flash. Also it would be totally configurable since it uses XML so window forms and all that goodness would definately be there.

Vertizor
12-16-2004, 03:55 PM
People are already making Cairo/SVG driven desktops.

http://www.waimea.org/wiki/Software_2fwaimea

Apoclypse
12-18-2004, 01:55 AM
for real?Damn...

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.