PDA

View Full Version : 2.5D music video

pixelcorps
12-15-2004, 07:06 PM
naughtix here:- (http://www.eclectronics.org/projects/videos/ambulance.php)

no pixels were harmed in the making of this video. they just got a bit dizzy!

sixtyten
12-16-2004, 12:29 AM
hey man, really nice work.

I have just spent the last few hours watching (almost) everything on your site. The ambulance video was quite beautiful, especialy the section with the lights going on and off in the car showroom/carpark. you captured the mood of the track perfectly.

It is a shame I could only watch such low res versions though, as such immersive works really benifit from an immersive environment. If only I was in europe and could go to one of you performances! one quick question: what software do you use live, and how much of a show is pre-prepared. actually that was two questions...

I usually don't even bother looking at the gallery these days, as the talking animals and dragons battling amazons with massive breasts make it hardly worth the effort. I am glad I did today though, It is good to see someone posting some interesting stuff here.I really like your aesthetic (and you have impecible taste in music)

I wouldn't expect to many replies though.

post here more often!

Rio Yeti
12-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Nice.

I think it's too long, although this impression might change if I saw it on a big screen with the sound all around me, cause experimental works tend to work better in a cinema. The "hypnotic" effect being stronger.

One thing I didn't like though, it was the use of cross fades... They don't really come with the music, and it would have been more interesting in my opinion, if the dots became squares, became cube... The use of cross fades makes the spectator draw back from the screen... or diminishes the "hypnotic effect".

platypus
12-16-2004, 05:23 AM
cool stuff.

very glad to see some more experimental work around here.

pixelcorps
12-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Rio> Good points, well taken. The crossfades were a consequence of the method I use to produce them, which is a bit, ah, experimental

6010> thanks! software wise, I use 'subverted' free screensaver/music visualisation software with very minimal source footage, the software is hacked to be controlled by the MIDI notes of the music. To generate the footage I use 3dsmax 'in 2D' and I edit them in Premiere Pro. This type of work is a direct offshoot of the live work, where I record a number of takes of the video in realtime and then edit them down. As regards being preprepared, we practice, but the shows are genuinely live- and the outcome in always unpredicatable. Ambulance build generative music patches that they play live, they also program specific MIDI messages which are sent to my computer to generate visuals based on their live improvisation.

sixtyten
12-16-2004, 09:46 PM
6010> thanks! software wise, I use 'subverted' free screensaver/music visualisation software with very minimal source footage, the software is hacked to be controlled by the MIDI notes of the music. To generate the footage I use 3dsmax 'in 2D' and I edit them in Premiere Pro. This type of work is a direct offshoot of the live work, where I record a number of takes of the video in realtime and then edit them down. As regards being preprepared, we practice, but the shows are genuinely live- and the outcome in always unpredicatable. Ambulance build generative music patches that they play live, they also program specific MIDI messages which are sent to my computer to generate visuals based on their live improvisation.

Radical. so the pixel one was key framed? damn, how long did that take?

I've just begun working with midi for similar purposes using PD. up until now i have either worked within the one patch for audio/visual or used external audio signals to get a data feed for a patch. both of these methods are less than ideal, so midi seems like the next logical step. what sort of messages do you generally use? ie do you use things like pitch and attack/delay or is it mostly just for the timing?

pixelcorps
12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Radical. so the pixel one was key framed? damn, how long did that take?

I've just begun working with midi for similar purposes using PD. up until now i have either worked within the one patch for audio/visual or used external audio signals to get a data feed for a patch. both of these methods are less than ideal, so midi seems like the next logical step. what sort of messages do you generally use? ie do you use things like pitch and attack/delay or is it mostly just for the timing?
key framed? no. naughtix consists of 3 animations of around 250 frames each used for source which are then controlled in realtime with feedback.

the 3 animations are: a circle moving in a circle, 4 squares that orbit and join, and 12 squares that swap places.

controlling graphics with midi can work well - for these videos i am using basically just the tune/ rhythm of the piece as midi noteon/ noteoffs, added to controller information that i create with a keyboard to 'play' the graphics in realtime. i have used controller information coming from the music as well.

i'd be interested to see what you come up with! anything online?

Neverwhere
12-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh my... I totally agree with sixtyten. Music video with lights and cars is absolutely superb (I've been watching it several times now =)). It sure has its unique feeling. Others were... well... probably a bit too wierd for me to appreciate as I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary art, nevertheless Your work is really admirable and I should compliment on choice of music as well. Great to see (and to listen) something different and fresh :]

HenningK
12-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Wow. Really neat body of work. I couldn't really watch a video like Naughtix all the way through, but I appreciate what you are doing. I am a supporter of experimental and computational animation. And I have some friends who would be REALLY interested... to whom I gave your website address.
cheers,
hen

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.