PDA

View Full Version : Havok physics and games

Hawksmoor
12-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Curious question here which someone might know something about. My company was on the verge of going with XSI across their 4 studios - but the deal seems to have been scuppered somewhat by lack of support for the Havok physics engine... something that suprised me given Half Life 2 used both XSI in Havok physics.

Anyone know if there's any bridges between the two being written or whether this will ever be rectified?

Also if anyone else has had a similar problem I'd be curious to hear about it!

R10k
12-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Is it a major problem not being able to use Havok in XSI?

Hawksmoor
12-15-2004, 04:38 PM
For my company - yes. Physics is playing a big role in the next game - as is toold n fast turn around. It went from almost 95% certainty we'd go with xsi to almost certainly not going with it when havok said 'nope - no plugins'

R10k
12-16-2004, 05:37 AM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, why is having Havok intergrated into XSI that big a time saver? Surely the bigger time saver would be to take advantage of XSI's excellent workflow. I'm assuming you were hoping to use Havok in the CDH, but then as far as I'm aware, no other program has a CDH anyway...

Xeom
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Umm how would having havoks in-XSI matter at all?
Wouldnt all the physics just be done ingame?
I must have missed somthing but,the havok engine would have nothing to do in XSI.
Unless you were gana do things like rigid bodys for a movie,and even then XSI has its own Physics engine.

From what i gather in the hl2 process,they model and animate,then for the simple ragdolls its basicly just a blank animation with the char in a static pose.

Agian i dont see how you need havok in XSI? explain please.

PetterSundnes
12-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I would think you could just set up the models, animations and levels in XSI, export them to the given game format and then apply Havok physics to each model by scripting?

Hawksmoor
12-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Havok ties into animation... You can use it to do inverse kinematics and export it straight to games, same with cloth and apply a precentage of physcis to said animation (e.g. 30% physics/70% animation)

All very useful for games.

Strang
12-19-2004, 04:58 AM
i believe pandemic is also using havok.. and using it inside XSI.

at siggraph they had a demo at the hotel and they showed us around a bit.
just cause HAVOK doesn't have plugins off the shelf doesn't mean it cant be done. i guess it matters on your budget, time, and skill etc to code your own xsi/havok plugs.

tell me.. so your saying havok is hooking into say.. maya or max? they said yes to them and no to XSI?

-Steven

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.