PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to view 3d textures in viewports

riyazgomes
12-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Is there any way to view 3d textures (cell, checkerboard, etc) in viewports without having to render. It seems weird that XSI being so advanced does not provide this feature.

Thanks in advance.

AdrianLazar
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
AFAIK, being new to xsi, you can't view procedurals in viewport, and that was for me a big dissapointment comming from 3dsmax... but you can live without it

Just_David
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
just plug them str8 into the surface material and use a render region. Tweak and then replugin your main illumination shader.

riyazgomes
12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Firstly ...Thanks for the help.

Using the render region for viewing the textures is pretty cumbersome...especially if the texture is animated.

For eg. I have created a character animation and animated the eyes of the character using a circular gradient....now the viewport capture becomes useless and I will have to render the animation each time to preview my animation.

Is there any other solution to this problem...maybe some scripts/plugins?

Just_David
12-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Im unaware of any that can do the job your looking for. The method above is what I use and until Avid implement procedurals in the viewport then its all we have.

Atyss
12-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I think we migth see a solution in the not so distant future. In XSI 4.0, meta-shaders have been introduced. Meta-shaders are basically mental ray shaders with a layer of CG for realtime display. I by no mean am a shader guru, but if all factory shaders could be reimplemented as CG shaders we might have a realtime (viewport) feedback of procedural shaders.

I'd be interested to hear about opinions on the matter.

Bernard

MJV
12-15-2004, 09:02 PM
AFAIK, being new to xsi, you can't view procedurals in viewport, and that was for me a big dissapointment comming from 3dsmax... but you can live without it It's a shocker coming from Cinema 4D too. Will help keep me focused on CA.

theboykidney
12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
now the viewport capture becomes useless and I will have to render the animation each time to preview my animation
you could make a small region around his eyes then do a capture, it would be pretty quick...

riyazgomes
12-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.....I think I will have to stick to alternative workflows for the time being

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.