PDA

View Full Version : Help! Rat_character - hindleg setup

sinbad
12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi everyone,

I know this topic may have come up in the past, but I have searched for tutorials on this, and have found them hard to come by.

Anyway, one of my students has created an upright Rat character, with the classic quadruped hind leg. We desperately need to get hold of a tutorial in order to rig the leg. We have only had Maya in the school for 4 months, so lots of learning to do!

Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

paul

sinbad
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Just a note to clear up the fact that its the horse/dog type leg, rather than the knees-pointing-forward elephant like leg.

p

Goon
12-15-2004, 11:04 AM
have you been here?
http://www.learning-maya.com/rigging.php

I haven't rigged a quadruped yet, but isn't it basically a reversed knee (I've got no idea how to deal with the upper haunch section, but the rest seems easy)?

Stray
12-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Hey there,
I am currently learning Maya myself. I had been wondering about how Maya does a 3 bone leg like that. I have read in some insances you can use a reverse foot setup tha tis walking on its tippy toes.

I have noticed by studying my dogsleg it is a 3 bone rotate plane solver and that ther eis really no ball joint at the "ankle". Idealy you would want to set up a roate plane solver that could evenly ( and predictably) distribute the bones across the 3 lengths.

I have studied XSI and found out they had a "dog leg" that does just that. I am wondering why maya hasn't impemented somethng of this nature yet.

I also do CA rigging in Cinema 4D (yes it is possible). What I have come up with as a solution for a 3 bone leg is set up a rotate plane solver ( in c4d this can be a bit of a chore) but what i do is just give it IK across the last 2 lengths and place a slider that controls the pitch of the top most bone in the chain.The thigh bone. On the thigh bone i place an anchor ( sorry again i don't know how this can be translated into maya but i am sure it can be done) so the ik isn't calculated across the topmost bone.

So basically when you move the system it will move the enrire 3 bone chain. But only the last 2 lengths wil be truly IK. You then scroll the slider that controls the topmost ( thigh) in the chain and you get another control that controls the flex across the entire system. Is a quick and dirty way of doings thinsg but hasd proven itself in production I don't know if you can translate that into Maya. No trigonometry needed!

But if you want an even quicker and dirtier way of doing things i would recommend the reverse foot. especially if the character is a cartoony one.

Cheers and good luck!
-Danny

sinbad
12-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I've been through the learning-Maya site, and can't seem to see anything apart one tutorial involving a small dog. Initially this seems just the thing, but the tutorial misses out some important information. I'll keep searching...

Thanks,
Paul

sinbad
01-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Ok one last try, I'm still having problems finding any material, many of the links on the learning-maya site are dead. I'm sure somebody on the planet must know how to do this.
The problem is whether to have IK running fom hip to ankle along three bones, or to use the reverse foot rig as in a biped, but with the character effectively standing in it's toes.
Ive seen examples of 2 ik chains -one between pelvis (root) and knee and the other between knee and ankle), and one example of an ik chain from hip to ankle.

There are so many examples of biped setups, but it seems not many use quad setups....?

If someone has seen this in a book,dvd or tutorial please help.

Thanks!

Buexe
01-09-2005, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=sinbad] or to use the reverse foot rig as in a biped, but with the character effectively standing in it's toes.
[QUOTE]

Yep, that`s what I (would) do and it works pretty well ( I have a cat and mouse). IKs that run on more than 2 joints can be hard to control.
cheers
buexe

PS: and it works better than my quoting : )

pollywoggles
01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Marc-André Guindon's video (How to Integrate Quadrupeds into a Production Pipeline)
at Alias is a good resource...

http://www.alias.com/eng/education/learning_tools/maya_intermediate/mt_how_to_integrate_quadruped_into_production_pipeline.shtml

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.