PDA

View Full Version : WhEEE!!!

SoLiTuDe
12-15-2004, 05:07 AM
WHEEEE!!! First one to post in here (hopefully by the time i click submit anyway)!!! =) Well... guess I have a small question that could make this post relevant... In terms of screenwriting or concept... how long should a 5 minute script take up on paper... and like how detailed do the actual "scripts" get for a short? Like -- would I want to write in every expression on the face of a character? Or just improvise that in the animation process?

tibes
12-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Regular scripts with a normal mix of stage direction and dialog are usually taken to be 1 page = 1 minute of film.

If you have a lot of stage direction (which short films may have, instead of dialog) then generally there will be more than 1 minute of action per page, but the exact amount depends on your detail and amount of stage direction.

In terms of how detailed you want to get - that's entirely up to you, however in general things like camera angles and acting decisions are left up to the director and actors (even if they are virtual) unless they have a direct impact on the through-line of the story.

Hope that helps! (and congrats on the first post :))

FantaBurky
12-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Yeah listen to Ali G, he knows best :rolleyes:
Nah, but yeah. Downloadbuy (:rolleyes:) a program called Final Draft, I think there is the 7nth version out. Anywayse, use that program way easier to write even for a pro since you use tabs and stuff which makes things go even faster. Then make the voice thingy read the whole thing for ya and see how many minutes it goes to. Its not accurate as hell but just add some seconds/minutes. Why am I talking about Final Draft u mite ask. I dunno, its 09:54 and I havnt fully awoken aswell as having a test soon so I am kinda weird sry.

SoLiTuDe
12-16-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys... i appreciate the input... i have ideas floating in my head, but getting them on paper is always a smart thing to do, so I appreciate the info, and will keep it in mind.:)

durbdk
12-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Final Draft is a good program, but has more bells and whistles than mos will need for CG scripting. Also, it isn't free; use open source/free soft when possible. To that end, I have used a program called RoughDraft for my last 3 scripts., fantastic little program. I have it on my 64 megabyte flash stick and can use it anywhere there is a windows based computer. Free, powerful, auto-formatting using the tab button (as he said final draft does) and the ability to take notes on the fly make it my choice. Even when compared to the costlier "professional" programs. Hope you like it and I'll get some of my resouce links posted soon.

Link to software: http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htmhttp://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm (http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm)

Please make a donation if you like it, he works for free and needs all the support he can get! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif Thanks man!

SoLiTuDe
12-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'll give that program a shot! ...I'll donate money when I get some =P I'm about to move and start school... so i'm quite broke. :sad:

dobermunk
12-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Here's an Open Office document I've created for writing. If you set the formats to "show used formats" (I think that's the English word), you will only have the pre-formatted items you need.
When you set a scene to "title 1" it will then appear in the navigator, and you cna quickly jump to that section by clicking it. "title 2" will be sub to any title 1 format, and indented in the navigator.
1_char is for character
2_() is for paranthesal description to dialog
and 3_dialog is for the spoken dialog

Standard is for body text. Its a very simple system, but Open Office is free and I personally prefer the sleek approach. Hope this helps.

marchermann
12-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Dobermunk, I knew I'd meet you in these new forums ;) Thanks for sharing the file.

Those who would rather like to use Microsoft Word should have a look at DigiScript (http://www.digiscript.co.uk). It's a Word template and can be quite useful. Not Final Draft by any means, but for shorts it might just be enough. There's a freeware version available for download.

About how long should the script be... Well, I'd say just long enough for the reader (e.g. a producer) to understand and enjoy the story and imagine the film in his mind. The script should set the mood and convey the appearance and atmosphere of the places, the character of the, err, characters and, of course, the story.

Hope this helps.

Marc
(who's struggling with a script, too)

mg3d
12-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I posted this in the Cinematograpy forum before, but since it seems relavant, here's a link to RoughDraft (http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm)
It's donationware and has a few cool features, like having a notepad window built in to it so you can jot down random ideas, and it'll let you directly output to html for quick web viewing.

-mG

dobermunk
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Marc! Let's do sushi (and not pay)!
Look forward to meeting up, my hard drive has been disintegrating, so my plans have gotten scrambled a bit.
How is Digiscript with navigating? Last time I looked I didn't like the navigation overview. I find this to be the most important aspect of writing scripts. Everything else can be relatively bare bones.

marchermann
12-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Let's do sushi (and not pay)! Aah, you mean stealing some fresh fish from the local market and eating it straight away, gollum-style? ;) Well, i guess we'll discuss the details via email, could be less irritating for everyone else. ;)

How is Digiscript with navigating? I only have the freeware version (summer 2004) and it's pretty bad for navigating, so it's useful only for shorts.

Marc

dobermunk
12-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Actually a quote from Repo-man. Yes, irritating!
Anyone remember Repo-man? "People explode, ma'am. It happens."

Okay, I'm stopping.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.