PDA

View Full Version : New CG Film-Making Forums

Leonard
12-15-2004, 04:20 AM
Hi all,

We're proud to announce that we have new forums for CG Film-Making. As CGTalk has grown immensely in the last 2 years, we've noted an increase in the number of forums and support for the creation of 3D and 2D stills, but have not specifically catered much for members interested in CG film-making or animation. Our hope is that these new forums will cater for CG film-makers and animators, fostering growth in these areas.

Moderating the new CG Film-Making forums are Sam Chen, the Director behind 3D Award and SIGGRAPH Electronic Theatre-winning short film 'Eternal Gaze', and Jason Schleifer, Senior Animator for The Lord of the Rings who is currently working at DreamWorks.

Specifically, two forums have been started:
- Screenwriting and Concept Creation
- Cinematography and Directing (and Editing)

The moderators agonised over which forums should be added, as the film-making area is huge. We decided to go with the above to get things rolling, and will monitor the situation as time goes on.

Enjoy the new forums!

Leonard

Ollarin
12-15-2004, 04:31 AM
Wow! Awesome!

Very nice forums. Can't wait to see the work posted here! :thumbsup:

I wish this forum a long and healthy life! :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
12-15-2004, 04:42 AM
This is just excellent..................really a wonderful idea.....................Thankyou very much for this leonard and CGnetworks..........This is something I wondered about in the past......were you reading my mind?;) .......................Thnaks again for this.:thumbsup:

nsnaveen
12-15-2004, 04:56 AM
this is very good news for everybody.

wireFrame
12-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Me too, I wish this new forum the best.

P.S.

The question is, aren't these forums: WIP/Critique: Animation and Collaborative team projects supposed cater to (short) CG Film-Making? Or better yet, move these two instead under this new cg-film forum?

Would name CG Short Film-Making be more specific instead of the just CG Film Making?:shrug:

mg3d
12-15-2004, 05:03 AM
I couldn't wait for this forum to open :bounce:

If any of you are looking for a nice little screenplay program...check out RoughDraft (http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm) . It works pretty damn good and it lets you convert your script directly to html. Well worth a little donation.

Hope to see this forum flourish.

-mG

jdsb
12-15-2004, 05:14 AM
great idea,thanks a lot :)

jorx
12-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Excellent! Me and a team are working out file conversion problems, then we plan to get started on a short film. This will be a great resource.

Oh, so Jason switched over? I knew Dreamworks was doing some hardcore recruiting...

Gluteus Maximus
12-15-2004, 05:49 AM
Sweet, can't have enough forums :)

I would like to see a compositing section in it though :) Stuff on specials effects etc for video/film etc.

Just what I would like to see :)

Ungratefull aren't I?

InAction
12-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Me too, I wish this new forum the best.

P.S.

The question is, aren't these forums: WIP/Critique: Animation and Collaborative team projects supposed cater to (short) CG Film-Making? Or better yet, move these two instead under this new cg-film forum?

Would name CG Short Film-Making be more specific instead of the just CG Film Making?:shrug:

Exactly my thought. :love:

FloydBishop
12-15-2004, 06:36 AM
How about a WIP short film forum?

Right now, after the reorganization of the forums, the thread about the short film I'm on, "Paul and His Bananas" (http://www.bishopanimation.com) (shameless plug) is listed under "WIP/Critique: 3D Stills", which is not really accurate, as a 3D still is not my ultimate goal and I'm posting a lot of quicktimes in there.

Thoughts?

MathieuBertrand
12-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Excellent idea!
I'm all for it.
Cgtalk is truly the place to be:thumbsup:

hatran
12-15-2004, 06:59 AM
it's so great. i am longing for a forum like this for a long time. thanks a lot

stunner
12-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Hey great idea this will help a lot !!!

thanks guys !
:thumbsup:

Texlon
12-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Awesome dude,
I am currently working on a short-film, and the people in this forum can probably give me some suggestions regarding to the story.
We could write the ultimate script :)

PS: I would prefer a WIP forum for the film section too. that gives us the ability to get some critiques on our films. I think the WIP forum that already exists isn't really fitting for short-films

terraarc
12-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Nice expansion! Surely a lot to learn, see and produce in this section! :thumbsup:

Slurry
12-15-2004, 08:08 AM
I wasn't sure where to post about the short film I just finished either. I wish I had waited a couple of more days before posting now.As it is, my thread about Pen' Pals can be found here: Thread Link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=194505)
I'd love to get feedback on it even though I can't post the whole movie yet.
Great news to have this dedicated forum.
Yippeee!

Art

JamesMK
12-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Excellent! The best forum just got even better :thumbsup: Hope this thing takes off.

DDS
12-15-2004, 08:44 AM
heheh, I give u an award ^^

Best CG forum ever :thumbsup:

SkullboX
12-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Excellent, I always felt there wasn't much activity around filmmaking so this perfectly compliments the rest of the stuff that makes me come here every day. It also comes at the right time, since I'm curerntly working on a short CG film myself. :)

Pufferfish
12-15-2004, 09:36 AM
This is great news.. been waiting this :)

mimo8
12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
great ... I will try to move my animation wip over there.
perhaps a mod could do this for me.

see the link in my signature

mimo8
12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
I took a closer look at it now and as a guy doing a short movie covering as well "Cinematography and Directing" as "Screenwriting, Storyboarding and Concept Creation" I would not be sure where to stick my WIP.

so what is your suggetion?
where should someone post a finished short or document the whole shortmovie process ?

sjaak
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
wow, thanks. I hope we will get along =)

assafk
12-15-2004, 10:58 AM
:thumbsup: Great idea! I will enjoy this.. :)

Bentagon
12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
great decision! I'll be looking into this forum a lot!

**edit**Jason... you're working at Dreamworks, working on a short, you're a moderator here, you're a moderator at your own site, and you're soon to be an animation mentor. Do you have any life?:D

- Bentagon

Tughan
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Thats just great! What is better than a new forum? (which means we'll spend more time on CGTalk) It is TWO new forum! :D

:banghead: (keep making bad jokes)

Rio Yeti
12-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Great news !

Now the critics "your animation sucks" will not be mixed with the crits "your cuts gave me a headache" !!!

Hehe, no seriously, I'm looking forward to talking more about the cinematography side of things rather than animation/lighting/rendering.

Great idea !

Kanga
12-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Yep great idea.

EDIT: oops wrong forum.
still a great idea.

WyattHarris
12-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Awesome, this is the next logical step. The forums cover practically every "specific" aspect, now this will pull them all together.

thesuit
12-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Exellent!
I've got 3 short films on the queue...
now all we need is a spelling checker on the posting box... :D

Seriously tho, exellent idea. This forum can turn out some really cool things to see. Long live this forum and its inhabitants!

RezaMisaghi
12-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Great idea!
Thanx CGtalk .

SDIT
12-15-2004, 04:05 PM
awesome!

this should be fun.

gryclls
12-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Guys, get ready to learn some amazing thing from this new forum...

all the best.....its really gonna help ussssssss.....

SirReality
12-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Great addition to the forums, thank you! :thumbsup:

paladin6303
12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
looking forward to seeing this develop, floored by the addition!

andyoko
12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Great news! I am currently working on a CG short and will definitely need thoughts/ideas. I will be more than happy to share mine with you lot as well.
Andy

Exlinked
12-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Awesome, Absolutely Awesome!

ChrisBG
12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Fantastic! I'm currently directing a short CG film, this is going to be a great help! :)

Thanks!

-Chris

Totoro
12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Great idea!
I was looking for something like this, these forums would help a lot.

Thanx!

thx1138
12-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Start polishing my Academy Award :)

Very cool. I've been bying about every book there is on making films, now I have a cool forum to back it up. Excellent work :thumbsup:

Nemoid
12-16-2004, 10:10 AM
fantastic idea . i'm working onto a short movie with some friends, so we'll have the possibility to show some make of here when all is finished.

Nam GEE
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
yes, new forum :buttrock:
great idea, iīm very excited about it.

Stucky
12-16-2004, 04:57 PM
oh yhea. Now Thats some great New. Very Good.

mummey
12-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Moderating the new CG Film-Making forums are Sam Chen, the Director behind 3D Award and SIGGRAPH Electronic Theatre-winning short film 'Eternal Gaze', and Jason Schleifer, Senior Animator for The Lord of the Rings who is currently working at DreamWorks.

Specifically, two forums have been started:
- Screenwriting and Concept Creation
- Cinematography and Directing (and Editing)

The moderators agonised over which forums should be added, as the film-making area is huge. We decided to go with the above to get things rolling, and will monitor the situation as time goes on.

Enjoy the new forums!

Leonard
Very Nice. Thank you Guys! :thumbsup:

TANGOMAN
12-16-2004, 06:23 PM
This is the best New I can hear now!:) īcause Iīm in process of creating my new Shortfilm in Full 3D!

Congrats for the Idea!:D

Demonic.Grace
12-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Only good things could come out this. So don't post crap :rolleyes:

Mizzimere
12-16-2004, 06:44 PM
This is possibly one of the best things you guys here can do. I've not been here long but this is an area I've wanted to look into a lot. Good luck in this venture. And to all of us.

Scarebear
12-17-2004, 08:19 AM
wow this is great so handy when i return to uni next year:applause:

Cre8
12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Thank you for hosting such an awesome site that really cares about itīs members!

CGtalk has been very useful to me and i find the interaction with other artists invaluable.

I also think itīs really cool of the moderators to take part in the site, as they are all seriously hard-core, but they remain humble and helpful. Thatīs a real ARTIST!

More Heart, Less Ego!

Iīm looking forward to the new forum as i am a 2nd year 3d animation student and i am sure i will have plenty of questions!

Thanks CGTalk, weīre lucky to have guys like you around!

AVTPro
12-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Well it's about TIME!!!

:)

This should be very successful forum especially for those looking to learn more about current film techniques, but not in school. Maybe I won't have to buy so many DVD's just to see their storyboard section (?). Be nice if anybody posted blank SB sheets. Mine are a bit sucky.

Propictales
12-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Sounds promising! YEAH! :scream:

yolk
12-18-2004, 04:56 AM
Wow! Awesome!

Very nice forums.

this is the artist 's cothurnus or comedy??

Ultron
12-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Perfect - this is a great board only getting better and better!

Really really cool!

embodiedform
12-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Very helpful Leo thanks- great idea!

faridz7
12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
yes! finally!! been waiting for it for ages!
well done!

malcolmvexxed
12-20-2004, 04:40 AM
I took a closer look at it now and as a guy doing a short movie covering as well "Cinematography and Directing" as "Screenwriting, Storyboarding and Concept Creation" I would not be sure where to stick my WIP.

so what is your suggetion?
where should someone post a finished short or document the whole shortmovie process ?
the exact same question I have. I want to post my progress on a series of chapter based animations i'm doing of a script but... I don't see where it would fit appropriately?

jadedchron
12-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Awesome idea. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.