PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Demonstrates 64-bit LightWave 3D. with the AMD Opteron(TM)

Kurtis
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
NewTek today demonstrated the forthcoming 64-bit implementation of Emmy®-winning LightWave 3D. at an exclusive event in Los Angeles. LightWave® 64-bit was shown on an AMD Opteron™ system running Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition beta OS. Currently in beta at a limited number of sites, LightWave's 64-bit port was demonstrated before an audience of film and television visual effects producers, game developers and artists and press at The Highlands Hollywood in Los Angeles, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM PST.

For the complete text of the press release, go to:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/12-14-04a.html

splintah
12-15-2004, 12:06 AM
did they say anything about advantages ?

BillB
12-15-2004, 12:11 AM
"For the last 4 years, NewTek has been working on the development of a 64-bit version of our award-winning LightWave 3D software application"

So it's what, version 6.5? ;)

Renderman_XSI
12-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Maybe they should be adding edges(and other useful features) instead of developing LW 64-bit version? How many people actually run a 64-it workstation+OS compared to 32-bit solution? geez..great move NT.

leuey
12-15-2004, 02:40 AM
What - you think it's a waste of time to spend 4 years developing something that can (drum roll please) - MAKE USE OF ADDITIONAL RAM. (sound of person falling off cliff).

Well the 'developing for 4 years' is pr bs. But yeah, it's a pretty insignificant announcement. It seems that there can be some use to using 64 bit procs and OS besides increased RAM. 64 bit mental ray seems to render faster. So maybe eventually we'll see some advantages. I've been waiting all year for the 64 bit edition of windows for my Athlon64 workstations, but I've realized that it really doesn't f'ing matter. Not until I see some stats that show it does at least.

-Greg

Maybe they should be adding edges(and other useful features) instead of developing LW 64-bit version? How many people actually run a 64-it workstation+OS compared to 32-bit solution? geez..great move NT.

Renderman_XSI
12-15-2004, 03:01 AM
What - you think it's a waste of time to spend 4 years developing something that can (drum roll please) - MAKE USE OF ADDITIONAL RAM. (sound of person falling off cliff).

Well the 'developing for 4 years' is pr bs. But yeah, it's a pretty insignificant announcement. It seems that there can be some use to using 64 bit procs and OS besides increased RAM. 64 bit mental ray seems to render faster. So maybe eventually we'll see some advantages. I've been waiting all year for the 64 bit edition of windows for my Athlon64 workstations, but I've realized that it really doesn't f'ing matter. Not until I see some stats that show it does at least.

-Greg
dude , it doesnt matter if you have 128-bit version of LW, how many years has it been since their very own users ask for edges in LW?? Maybe if they listen to their user instead of jumping on band wagons, they'll actually make a better product? go figure...

ram can only do so much, but the software side of things has to be in place first(making it a solid app) right now 64-bit version of LW isnt practical at all, where they should spend time addressing software issue not HW.

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2004, 03:15 AM
Ok people keep those AXES that you are grinding down.

STAY ON TOPIC.

-R

retinajoy
12-15-2004, 04:13 AM
...ram can only do so much, but the software side of things has to be in place first(making it a solid app) right now 64-bit version of LW isnt practical at all, where they should spend time addressing software issue not HW. The new team seem to be addressing the issues with more frequent updates. As a Newtek customer, I am happy with the new proactive direction Newtek have taken. The core changes to LW, bug fixes, enhancements to features and workflow. The 8.2 update addresses issues that us users have been asking for ages. I'm sure the next free updates will continue that trend too. The 64-bit version demonstrates that they are forward looking. The fact that the 64bit version of LW will be a free download to current LW users is another positive.

The past is the past. I always prefer to measure people or companies by what they are doing now, not mistakes they made 2 or more years ago.

leuey
12-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Yes, that was my point. Either you're not sophisticated enough to get it - or I need to be more obvious. Probably both. And don't call me dude, I'm been in the biz longer than you've been past puberty.

-Greg

dude , it doesnt matter if you have 128-bit version of LW, how many years has it been since their very own users ask for edges in LW?? Maybe if they listen to their user instead of jumping on band wagons, they'll actually make a better product? go figure...

ram can only do so much, but the software side of things has to be in place first(making it a solid app) right now 64-bit version of LW isnt practical at all, where they should spend time addressing software issue not HW.

dotTom
12-15-2004, 05:40 AM
4 years!?! I've spend the last nine months porting some 3.5+ million lines of C++ (some of it dating back to Windows for Workgroups <shudder>) to Windows x64. We're not there yet but we have bits running already and are on target for a mid 2005 release. It's a very large system, way larger than Lightwave. Oh, and so far the total resources for this effort: 1 person.

How on earth can you spend 4 years doing this? Either that number is pure marketing BS or Newteks code base was in such poor shape that they've had to pull it kicking and screaming into the 64 bit era. I'm guessing, hoping, that 4 years means "complete rewrite of the core architecture", out of which a 64 bit version is largely a for free option (and it should be if you code cleanly).

4 years? The only other possible interpretation is that 4 years ago Newtek tried to port to IA64 (Itanium) and failed and it's only with the advent of AMD64/Intel EM64T and more importantly Windows x64 that they've gotten anywhere. If this is the true meaning then I can understand that since we tried way back then on Itanium and failed because Microsoft's 64 bit compilers and libraries in those days where diabolical. The Visual Studio 2005 (Whidbey) 64 bit compiler rocks.

retinajoy
12-15-2004, 05:50 AM
4 years? The only other possible interpretation is that 4 years ago Newtek tried to port to IA64 (Itanium) and failed and it's only with the advent of AMD64/Intel EM64T and more importantly Windows x64 that they've gotten anywhere. If this is the true meaning then I can understand that since we tried way back then on Itanium and failed because Microsoft's 64 bit compilers and libraries in those days where diabolical. The Visual Studio 2005 (Whidbey) 64 bit compiler rocks. As far as I can tell, something on those lines. They had LW running on an IA64 way back. LW has always been 64bit friendly anyway as it used to run on DEC Alphas which used 64bit RISC processors before they went bye bye.

One of the advantages of a 64bit 3D application is the ability to handle much more complicated and larger scenes. Good to know that at least one 3D app will be 64bit ready when Microsoft officially release their OS.

Nemoid
12-15-2004, 11:09 AM
it's a good news, but the time involved make me quite mad. 4 years are a
geological era in CG industry.
64 bit is a good news for Lw, but soon other apps will implement it
and surely the porting time involved will be something like 1 year or less.

Nt team is taking a good direction though. since when they came in Nt,
good news started popping and completed the job leaved from other
programmers.

oh, just use the current version or 64 one when u have this possibility
and shut up Nemoid...... :D

Hazdaz
12-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I'm not a LW user, but still interested in reading stories like this one. I was hoping to find some benchmark comparisons, but I guesss not. Either way, good news.

Jonathan
12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Is it really such a new thing? I remember when Lightwave was being ran on 64bit Irix workstations albeit it was not a 64bit prog. It does not surprise me a bit that this move is first of all being taken, and the 4 years could also include past development for another platform. I really don't know but I can see the possiblity there.

I agree with the forward thinking of this project as in the next few years all platforms will possibly be 64bit and the majority of software released will also be 64bit. It may be a competitive PR move but like it or not, Lightwave has been losing the race for several years now against the mighty tools of the competitors, even allowing C4D to grab a fair share of the market.

Artist today a more sophisticated and the atmosphere I think is more volitile. The demands are heavy which adds weight to the arguement of rewriting a core that could on the flipside destroy present infrastructure and builds on a new paradigm. Can you possibly imagine the logistics however? Proud sasquatch owners who would not be able to use it in a new lightwave?

Still, it may not be the best move, but it is a move at least.

Beamtracer
12-16-2004, 12:55 AM
It was 4 years go that Newtek developed a 64-bit version of Lightwave for the Intel Itanium processor. In fact, this version was developed by the team that has since moved to Luxology.

The Itanium processor has since turned out to be a dud, and has no chance of ever making it to desktop computers or 3D workstations.

The Windows OS hasn't changed a huge amount since then, so I think it took a minimum of work (relatively) to adjust it to the AMD processor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.