PDA

View Full Version : texture question

TheShaddix
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
is there a way to make the texture not stretch like that ? I applied a cubic project and when i apply smooth the texture gets stretched.

http://simongibson.goldystuff.co.uk/merfer/problem1.jpg

ThE_JacO
12-14-2004, 07:28 PM
assuming with smooth you actually mean the smooth operator, and not just raising geo approximation:

the texture stretches because it's an explicit projection, that means, grossly oversimplifying, every polygon has certain pixels assigned to it.
if you apply a smooth operator the model's obviously undergoing some changes, and some polygons will grow bigger while others will go larger, compressing and strecthing the texture because the pixels assigned to it don't change.

you made a mistake in first place when you assigned the texture before being done with modeling.

if you still have the texture supports you can still make projection implicit rather then explicit and drag the operator under the texture projection (you can find it in the samples cluster) higher up in the stack, this will basically make it so that the texture is applied AFTER any modeling operations, and when you will change the geometry underneath the pixels will float on top of the geometry.

*the texturing op will NOT show in the operators stack, but you can still drag it around at different points in history.

TheShaddix
12-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks for ur reply, but i still have a question. By smooth i meant Geom. approx. I assigned cubic projections after the model was completed. Tell me this: i have that complex dash board and i need to texture it so that the leather is spread evenly all over the surface, including the bevels and stuff. With the cubic projection i can see lots of stretches, and where there are bevels and such i can see that the texture is just extra stretched or something (even when its not smoothed). How would you go about texturing such stuff ? I see that planar projection would work, but that would mean that id have to assign sub projections to the vertical surfaces manually , right ? Tell me how to solve this , please.

skello
12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
try freezing the scaling on the object before applying your projections....

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.