PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Skeleton question

strange_quark
12-14-2004, 05:06 PM
hi smartie people,

i have a skeleton that is quite specific. It has some bones as XYZ rotation order and others as ZXY and YZX. (the collar bone, wrists, and feet) I was told this is to aid in gimbal lock in the program we are importing the motions to.... but anyway.

I have mocap comming in on a normal skeleton and i'd like to have a way to transfer the animation properly. I have tried the retarget tool FOR DAYS, it doesn't work for this.

QUESTION: is is possible to constrain the skeleton, using orient and maybe look-at constraints, and not break the rotation order?

can anyone suggest any other maya workflows for getting the motion off the one and onto the other without leaving maya?

last resort is doing the transfer in motionbuilder.

thanks for any help.

d-lux

seven6ty
12-14-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm not really too sure what you're asking, but first of all, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to try and get all of your rotation orders unified and of one type, it sounds like your rotational axis weren't properly lined up, but perhaps there's an underlying reason for having them that way?

And then you're trying to export that animation, and apply it to a regular skeleton with a normal rotational axis/rotation order set-up? I can only imagine that you'd have to go in by hand and figure how to transpose the XYZ rotations of one, to match up with the XYZ rotations of the other and write a script to convert one to the other. I'm not terribly sure that this is what your situation is though, so sorry if I'm off.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.