PDA

View Full Version : Dragons are Coming (Walking with Dinosaurs with Dragons)

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2004, 03:20 AM
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/dragons.html

-R

Ollarin
12-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Wow! That looks awesome! Can't wait to watch it! :D

Go Framestore! :thumbsup:

joel3d
12-14-2004, 06:21 PM
This will be really cool! I will definitely watch.

One complaint: Its kind of disturbing to have to watch a TV comercial before each of the clips.

oh well what are ya gonna do.

Pinoy McGee
12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Framestore is amazing. But this trailer is WEAK!

More text than images. I ain't believing 'til they come up with a better teaser.

agreenster
12-14-2004, 06:43 PM
A small company I used to work for actually bid on this project

We didnt get it obviously....:D

--and just for the record, I think the rendering looks great but the animation looks very linear

shehbahn
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
was it just me or the few creature glimpses were shots taken from Dragon Heart ?

FloydBishop
12-14-2004, 07:04 PM
There are many clips here, including many behind the scenes segments:

http://media.animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/videogallery/clips.html

It looks very, very good.

angel
12-14-2004, 08:02 PM
There are many clips here, including many behind the scenes segments:

http://media.animal.discovery.com/convergence/dragons/videogallery/clips.html

It looks very, very good.
yep, I guess people missed the link at the end of that trailer. The making of parts were great.
I'll watch for sure.

mattmos
12-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Hey cool, saw a couple of clips I worked on in there! Not creature animation unfortunately, would have loved to get my hands on those dragons :)
I was very impressed with Framestore's work on this project...

stallion151
12-15-2004, 02:07 AM
man they try to make this creature everything in one, it can fly, walk, swim, breath fire, has talons....what else can it do...oh yeah it super romantic too. c'mon. don't include every dragon story into one.

and the short bit of acting from the scientist dude was awesome (sarcasim). But the visuals were indeed freakin good and i'll watch for that.

Papa Lazarou
12-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Cool to see that John Sibbick is desiging on this. I grew up on his dinosaur illustrations, and with time his work has only gotten better.

But the show looks pretty naff though. This type of programming is getting pretty dull. It might be trashy fun to see the T.rex vs dragon scene though.

leuey
12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
ug - don't really like the looks of this. I think the dragon from Dragonheart looked better and that was a loooooong time ago. The wings are too small - I don't like the design or the ani. I'm a huge "Walking With...." fan - but this looks......bad. Maybe it's just the clips they picked.

-Greg

dfacto
12-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Based ony my admittedly incomplete knowledge of anatomy, I call bullshit on the wing design. Not the size, but rather the way it connects to the body. It seems that the axis of rotation for the shoulder joint was basically right at the top, and when the wings beat, there didn't appear to be very much muscle over it. I doubt that design would allow for sufficient power to pull the wings up after making a downwards stroke, pretty much making it a matter of air resistance to throw them upwards. If you look at any larger bird, like eagles or vultures, they have a healthy amount of muscle over their shoulders, and also underneath, but the dragon seemed a bit lacking in this respect.

The shoulders themselves also never seemed to move an inch, but I don't know whether birds' shoulders are fixed in place or can move freely like on a human, so I can't comment.

Other than that, it ought to be fun, but that acting from the scientist was atrocious!:scream:

And why did that lab look like it cam out of CSI?

angel
12-15-2004, 01:12 PM
man they try to make this creature everything in one, it can fly, walk, swim, breath fire, has talons....what else can it do...oh yeah it super romantic too. c'mon. don't include every dragon story into one.

and the short bit of acting from the scientist dude was awesome (sarcasim). But the visuals were indeed freakin good and i'll watch for that.
I thought that they cover different species of dragons as it was interpreted from the many civilizations around the world at different eras. I don't think they put every single characteristic into one SuperUltraMega Dragon. I might be wrong tho...

My Fault
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
I thought that they cover different species of dragons as it was interpreted from the many civilizations around the world at different eras. I don't think they put every single characteristic into one SuperUltraMega Dragon. I might be wrong tho...
Yeah, judging by the trailers I think you are right. Looks like it will be a fun show. Really impressed with many of the shots. Framestore has come a long way.

dfacto: some nice observation there. I will definitely be thinking of all the points you made when this comes out and can be watched on tv.

talos72
12-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I am a big fan of "Walking With..." series. This one seems to have some interesting stuff, but I also wonder if they cover different dragons: chinese, aztec... that would be awesome. The trailers seemed to deal with one species.

I still think one of the best designed dragons is in "The Dragon Slayer" though.

Papa Lazarou
12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
One of the best!!!????

Dragonslayer is The best.

stallion151
12-15-2004, 10:06 PM
hehe like the sound of that SuperUltraMega Dragon...you're probably right, but why wouldn't you make a dragon with that name.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.