PDA

View Full Version : animating constraints on/off

the_podman
12-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Can someone point me to a good tutorial on animating constraints on/off. For example, a character picking up a hat from a table and placing it on his head. Or, someone getting into a car and driving away. I don't want to use the old-school "double model" and keying visablility method. Would like to be able to constraint a joint on/off.
I know that "Constraints" are keyable.

Thanks,
-pod

elvis75k
12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
you may asking for a ik-fk switch.. Go to http://www.rigging101.com/

Anyway i don't use to call this an old school method! :!

-elvis

the_podman
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Elvis, however, it's not an IK/FK switcher Im looking for. I use those all the time, especially when my character goes from a run to "pushing" an object. IK/FK switcher is just 2 different methods of handling motions of an arm/spine/leg. IK being "translate" method and FK being "rotate" method.

When I mean "constraints", I mean a temperary "locking" to a certain joint or object. Someone holding a sword is a perfect example. Let's say that the sword is bound to a joint called "Sword Joint". The sword joint is then "constrained" to the wrist joint of Character A's swinging arm. Now let's say that either the sword is "knocked" out of his hands or he puts the sword into a wall and it leaves his hands and "sticks" to the wall.

You would need to set up a relationship in which the sword joint is first constrained to his wrist as he "swings", then THAT constraint would have to be "broken" and replaced with either another constraint or keyed off/on.

When I mean the "double geometry" method. I meant that animators used to create TWO swords, one constrainted to the wrist, and one attached to the wall. They would then "key" the visibility attributes so that the sword on Character A's wrist would "dissapear" as it hit the wall and the wall sword would "appear" in it's place.

With the addition of Maya's new "Parent Constraint", this is no longer nessesary, as you can just "key" a constraint on/off without having to create redundant geometry to serve the purpose of the scene.

pod
:)

sporadic
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Funny you should mention swords....

http://www.gnomononline.com/tutorial.php?category_id=7

I think this is exactly what you're after.

the_podman
12-14-2004, 06:22 PM
sporadic.... take a bow.

Thanks,
-pod:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.