PDA

View Full Version : EDO (image compositing application) for Mac OSX

cREATURE hARMONY
12-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Edo is a high-performance and high-quality image compositing application designed for maximum flexibility. Edo lets you combine and manipulate video files, 3D sequences and still images in a non-destructive way using a powerful node graph visual interface. The use of modern video card graphics processors (GPUs) enables true realtime performance, and support for industry standard file formats helps integrate Edo into many kinds of workflow.

:bounce:

Click Here (http://www.anioni.com/edo/)

Goon
12-14-2004, 01:32 AM
wow looks cool.

But wait, its mac only. Gaaaah!

azazel
12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
yeah, i'd like to play with it too, but don't have mac unfortunately....

Kaszub
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Azazel: Solution is quite easy: go to the nearest fastfood restaurant and buy one (food not restaurant)! One big mac should resolve your problem easily (dual ketchup please!) ;)

this app looks interesting :) Let's test it!

cREATURE hARMONY
12-14-2004, 11:22 PM
So I've been messing around with it lately. Pretty cool! It's simple but powerful. I was able to make a cool clip importing some stuff over from Blender. Surprisingly fast and stable. I like it. There are some UI quirks but I think its very very good.

brkn
12-15-2004, 02:22 AM
I gave this a try too. Aside from a few quirks, I really like it so far - looks like it could be really useful for VJ work, there are lot of effects which run quite happily in realtime, plus there are hotkeys for switching between input 'decks'. There's also a nice feature that shows the output fullscreen on a secondary display, so you can plug in a powerbook to a projector, and control the projected output on the laptop screen.

kid tripod
12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
This looks great, just the kind of thing I was looking for.

angel
12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
so, how do you keyframe in this app?

Gendou
12-15-2004, 07:29 PM
If anyone who has a Mac capable of running Edo, would you please post some feedback about it? I tried to load it twice on my dual-proc G4, w/640MB and a GeForce 2 gfx card and Edo hangs immediately on start. Either you can't run it if you have less than a GeForce FX card, or I just can't run it on my desktop for some reason. I'm very interested to hear any feedback on it since there's a derth of worthwhile free compositing apps (no saying they all need to be free, but it helps). The only one I've seen is Jahshaka, and that's well.. nearly vaporware.. it's totally useless. Edo seems like it could be so much more if there were more people using and testing it, providing feedback. Sure, Mac only isn't the best, but Shake is Mac only (more or less) and it's used quite a lot in film.

stupidkiwi
12-15-2004, 09:09 PM
At the dire risk of sounding like an idiot....

I can not figure houw to load any image files in to composite. I have tried every menu item, every button and dragging and dropping files on all the windows.

cREATURE hARMONY
12-16-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm also using a Dual-Proc G4, but I have a Radeon 9800 128mb video card. Maybe its the video card? Probably be a good idea to upgrade it regardless anyways. The website says the preferred cards are Radeons 9600 or fx 5200 ultra or greater. I think a 32mb card may be too little.

This is actually powerful. I'm kinda shocked this is free.

You keyframe by using the curve editor window to animate node parameters.

To add bitmaps and clips, you use the Project Window. Click the "new" drop down menu and select "new clip from file."

Looks like EDO will continue development. The creator says when Mac OS tiger comes out, he/she plans on utilizing the new core graphics system. I assume this will mean real time everything and then some, not to mention pushing the actual UI and GUI design. They also say they plan to release the API's for EDO soon so that plug-ins can be developed.

Blur1
12-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I have had a goof around with it and think it has a lot of potential. It's a great tool for a beginner to learn node based compositing. For example you have to build your own keyer. If there is strong community support over the next year or so then this could become really cool, especially when core video in Tiger becomes available. The realtime GPU functionality is obviously the future of compositing.
I would like to check out the paint tools, also I couldn't work out how to keyframe so I couldn't really check out the curve editor, and I couldn't see a way to view your comp at 100%. I also think it had too many open windows. But I only spent about half an hour with it. It also needs a way to slip your clips relative to each other (maybe there is already).

All in all, worth checking out.

Tripdragon
12-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Come on tiger! This will so be even cooler when tiger comes out. It is good to know that there will be something ready to use tiger as soon as possible ..

Blur1
02-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Edo has been updated to 1.0.7

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16716

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.