PDA

View Full Version : ferrari Dynamics animation

rony
12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
I did this animation a long time ago and never posted it on cg talk.
It's a dynamic car simulation I wrote in MEL.
I just thought about it today, so here it is: ferrari_animation (http://www.3dde.com/web_vids/scripting_ferrari.html)

http://www.3dde.com/ferrari_back.jpg

XYZRGB
12-13-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm getting an empty box. I'm not seeing any 'X's in the boxes, but I do see the 'three primitives' ( a box, a sphere, and a triangle ) in the top left corner.

My virus settings ??

jussing
12-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Some of the dynamics are really nice :thumbsup:, but some of it is so exaggerated that it looks like the car is alive, and bouncing of its own free will. But I think it looks cool, and definetely close to the real deal, I'd just turn down the effect somewhat.

Cheers,
- Jonas

rony
12-14-2004, 12:04 AM
hey Vegan. I don't know why it's not working with your browser. It's working fine here.
Jussing: Yes you're right about the dynamics, they're indeed exagerated. I've seen the Ferrari Modena test in top gear and it barely banks even on high speed turns but I wanted to exaggerate this to show the dynamics in action. :D

Jameslsy
12-15-2004, 07:22 PM
It's a pretty sweet thang you've done there.

But then what I see from Ferrari clips.. the suspension is much stiffer.. you might want to do a few more adjustments... keep me posted dude!

RhythmOfLine
12-16-2004, 10:53 AM
jesus, thats awesome dynamics. my only critique is the environment and the car's shader, just don't blend in, but i guess u ain't goin' for that. i don't have anythin' bad to say abt the animation, looks hella realistic.

Corduroy Squirrel
12-16-2004, 04:37 PM
You need to snag some reference of a car (naturally a ferrari, but you know, who has one?). It's cool that you can do dynamics and automate them, but you still need to work on this more before you put it on a reel. The car snaps too much. If you were to gas a Ferrari like you're doing and turn the wheel, you're going to spin the tires and do a donut. The suspension is also a progressive suspension on cars like that. So when it rocks back and forth, it starts off easy and then gets hard pretty fast, hitting a limit of the suspension travel soon after. There are minimums and maximums that a car's, especially a Ferrari, suspension travel before it won't go anymore. Typically a ferrari has less body roll, corners a lot flatter, etc. Maybe a ferrari wasn't the best option for this particular dynamic simulation. It's more like a regular commuter than a sports car.

About your textures. They really don't help your piece at all. If you're going for a texture position, then you need to start over. If you just want dynamics, I don't see why you need them. The texture on the ground is too large and it makes the car seem like a small R/C toy of sorts rather than a life size car. That may also be attributed to your camera angles. They are very CG and don't seem like something you see on Car and Driver, Top Gear, Fifth Gear, etc.

I'm not saying this to destroy what you've got, but rather to let you know what I think is wrong. I don't want to see you stop where you're at, you can really do a lot more with this. Some smoke effects when you spin the tires and tire tracks during hard cornering would really help make it stand out when you're done polishing the dynamics.

I would do a google search for some SCCA Videos, or Solo I & II videos. You can usually find lots of these and I bet you could find a Ferrari, BMW, etc.

-C.Squirrel

rony
12-16-2004, 05:29 PM
shiv d: yes the shader isn't the best and I'm not a texture artist. I just put some textures so I could have a render. I used maya's rederer with a light setup I did real quick.

duroy squirel: As I said before I perfecty agree. I was doing a demonstration of the car dynamics I did so I've exaggerated it all. At this speed even a buggy wouldn't bank that much. A ferrari would not bank at all, therefore the exagerations. And that's why I made it jump like that.

Another thing is that part of the script lets the car "know" if it's moving forward or backward and corrects the wheel angles and rotations accordingly. So the car moves forward and backward to show this. My first intention was to have it speeding on a long stip with a stiffer suspension but that wouldn't have shown the script working.

I'm modeling a Porsche 911 turbo just for fun. and once I'm done with it I might do a realistic version of the simulation.

Corduroy Squirrel
12-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Bah, completely missed your second post. So umm... Captain Obvious is now leaving the building...

-C.Squirrel

MCage
03-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi rony, can you help me in using your car script?..i cant get it to work..what i need to do?
Can you explayn me how it work?

i'm trying to do some car dynamics with suspensions like yours, very cool...

thanks for your help.

ProdigyArt
04-03-2005, 08:09 AM
cool dynamics. Just for he record before i say anything i read that you wanted to exagerate the dynamics but my personal opinion is they are exagerated waaaay to much. You could have still shown them off without doing it that harsh, other that that i think its awsome.

rony
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I know they're way too much exaggerated and you're right about that. About the script. You can't use it directly. It's not a procedural rigging tool. It works with a custom rig that I built. It's only for the scene that I had setup. I might eventually work on an automated rig but for now that's all I have. Sorry.

amartinez1660
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I think it shows what you want to show, If i'm looking for a script for a car I would definately look for you, there are some threads also trying to make car simulations using maxscripts, maybe your help could be very useful, since you actually managed to make it in melscript, can it be translated to maxscript?.

Also how does it work? you move a dummy object? the body car? does it take into consideration if it's going to fast the car will slide a bit when taking a turn? are the wheels always sticked to the ground? or they can jump, and follow irregular terrain?.

Nevertheless, great work. Hope to see your porsche done.

rony
04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. The wheels don't actually slide at a certain speed but that's possible to setup. Unfortunately I don't have max script experience so I cannot help out in max. The script itself is pretty simple since it ony acts as a dynamics solver and math solutions for the wheels. As long as you know your syntaxes, no matter what package yoou're using, you're good to go.

About that porsche. I'm almost done with the modeling of the external body, I still have a lot to do. I wish I have enough free time to work on it though. this might take a long time. But if I have time, I will be eventually making an automated script that would give the user all the controls needed to setup a car rig. Again, I'm not sure when I'll start doing that.

Peace,

Andrew March
04-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Not loading for me....

yoa010
04-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Not working for me.

amartinez1660
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Very good then rony, will hear about you sometime soon...
keep up the good work and thanks.

if you have time, please post some screens in your web or in the WIP forum to show some progress ..

kiko3d
06-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow I didnīt know one could write dynamics with MEL, so you could do an entire racing game with maya then, right? I got a find a plce to learn this things

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2005, 01:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.