PDA

View Full Version : New Images From Episode III. (SPOLIER WARNING!!!)

Daniel-B
12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey guys. Just thought some of you might enjoy this...

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/227/familiarduel2ee.jpg

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/7681/dookusbadday0iv.jpg

DZL
12-13-2004, 07:30 PM
are chris's hands missing in that second shot?

his head looks like it's composited in the 2nd shot as well - i know they did this in ep2 because he was too ancient to do some of the swordwork...

these don't look like completed shots - the backgrounds are weak - but they do look promising... i can only hope there's some trash-talk during this duel.

theCloudmover
12-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Since 1977 I've been waiting for this...

Looking good.

KevinKraeer
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
The Emperor looks so youthful and healthy. I guess he started smoking heavily between this time period and Return of the Jedi.

This movie's gonna rock.

Daniel-B
12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
***************SPOLIER WARNING**************

Yes, his hands are missing. Anakin cuts them off during the duel. The red lightsaber Anakin is holding is actually Count Dooku's. The second picture is just a few moments before Anakin cuts off Dooku's head with both lightsabers with a scissor like movment.

*************END SPOLIER****************

DZL
12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
***************SPOLIER WARNING**************

Yes, his hands are missing. Anakin cuts them off during the duel. The red lightsaber Anakin is holding is actually Count Dooku's. The second picture is just a few moments before Anakin cuts off Dooku's head with both lightsabers with a scissor like movment.

*************END SPOLIER****************
wasn't that move used in LOTR? i remember aragon possibly doing the decapitation with two swords maneuver...

Virum
12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
DEAR SIR!

You are thinking of The Gladiator. Pffft. ;)

DZL
12-13-2004, 08:02 PM
you are right, virum - i thought i'd seen it somewhere before.

heavyness
12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
The Emperor looks so youthful and healthy. I guess he started smoking heavily between this time period and Return of the Jedi.

This movie's gonna rock.

***spoiler, maybe...kinda***

well in the trailer, you see yoda in the emperor's chamber turn on his lightsaber, so its safe to say yoda and the emperor get it on. i'm figuring they both beat the crap out of each and neither fully recover from the fight.

how is this movie going to get a pg rating? i hope the rumor about it getting a pg-13 rating is true

igorstshirts
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm not a huge fan of count kukoo... It'll be fun to watch this scene.

Boone
12-13-2004, 08:50 PM
May I ask why people here are saying Dooku gets his head lopped off? Whats your source? :curious:

His hands going missing will only lead to a PG, but if Dooku loses his head( :cool: ), it'll be a 12.

FloydBishop
12-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Dooku was great in "Gremlins 2: The New Batch"

Ondrayce
12-13-2004, 09:22 PM
^Yeah! It took me a sec to remember who he played. Nice.

AWAKE
12-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Dr. Catheter?

Yo, how come the people look CG?

agreenster
12-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Dr. Catheter?

Yo, how come the people look CG?
Compositing

Daniel-B
12-14-2004, 01:58 AM
The people also may look "digital" because they are shot on Sony HD Cinealta cameras. They have a very sharp and very clean image free of film grain. Especially since these images have been downsized from their original 1920x1080 pixel size, they look very sharp, instead of soft like film.

flipnap
12-14-2004, 02:14 AM
soon, a day will come when we come up with an innovative "new" technique of shooting, where we use 'real' models for ships, and where we shoot against real backgrounds.. and people will say, "wow, everything looks so real! the lighting looks perfect and something just feels right abouth these environments!!" we will be back in 1977 but it will be so futuristic, and so captivating. the star destroyer flying across my eye in the opening sequnce will always hold me closer than any composite, or any "death star explosion ring"... i miss seeing

Ollarin
12-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Wow! Awesome!

Why does that scene looks awfully alot like the battle in Return Of the Jedi? When Luke faces Vader. o_O

Daniel-B
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Well, the Emperor is not watching in that scene. He is being help captive and Anakin is there to rescue him from Dooku. Which I don't understand, because Dooku is the Emperor's apprentice. Humm.

Ollarin
12-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, the Emperor is not watching in that scene. He is being help captive and Anakin is there to rescue him from Dooku. Which I don't understand, because Dooku is the Emperor's apprentice. Humm.
Hmmm...Sounds like a trap to get trick Anakin. O_o

Joe_H
12-14-2004, 04:33 AM
May I ask why people here are saying Dooku gets his head lopped off? Whats your source?
Trust me! It happens!

his head looks like it's composited in the 2nd shot as well
His head is not composited in that shot. He's in the process of falling to his knees after his hands are cut off. The shot just looks a bit odd. It will look great in the final film.

these don't look like completed shots - the backgrounds are weak
What about these shots don't look complete? They look fantastic, especially considering that's a real set they're on, and the window shots of the space battle in the background look great as well. I'm not seeing what looks so weak.

THX
12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
looks like the emporor is using the same trick he did in jedi when he trys to get luke into the darkside by getting him to show his anger and "striking" down vader:applause:

mychaleg
12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
what the hell is a SPOLIER?

slaughters
12-14-2004, 12:37 PM
... and people will say, "wow, everything looks so real! the lighting looks perfect and something just feels right abouth these environments!!"...Heh! Heh! :) It's obvious you don't do much photography. "Real" light rarely looks "real".

P.S. The shots look a little unfinsihed to me as well. At first I thought they were just an advanced (and rendered) animatic.

Daniel-B
12-14-2004, 03:11 PM
What about these shots don't look complete? They look fantastic, especially considering that's a real set they're on, and the window shots of the space battle in the background look great as well. I'm not seeing what looks so weak.
Actually, only the floor they are standing on is real. The walls and windows, and space battle going on outside are all CGI. They were filmed against greenscreen with only a floor, and the chair that the Emperor is sitting in.

richcz3
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
If Dooku gets his both hands and head lopped off and it doesn't get a PG-13...wow.
I am really hoping this movie pulls it together as it would seem there is allot of story to tell in a very short period of time. My concern is that the pace of the story will be rushed in order to get him into Vaders costume.
Obi Won speaks so glowingly of friendship with Lukes father in the original Star Wars. I haven't seen it in either Eps1 or Eps 2. By Eps 2 he was a whiney rebellious teen which drew Obi Wons ire. If some form of comradere of mutual respect doesn't grow between them in this next movie, then this whole series fails the fall from grace story for me. just my 2 cents.

lovisx
12-14-2004, 05:06 PM
does the emperor shape shift from young to old, or perhaps he gets his older look from loss of energy while fighting yoda?

whoooo nwoooooos.
:shrug:

DZL
12-14-2004, 05:52 PM
my first reaction to these pics was: green screen - nothing's real. i mean, dooku's head looks like a game animatic. that's just my reaction - they may look better in the final print. i'm sorry, but that's just my opinion.

being in the CG biz, i have more of an awareness of this - i know - but i think the average person will detect it - even though they will not be able to put their finger on what is exactly wrong with the scene.

Freestyler
12-14-2004, 06:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/jcgabe/lookmomnohands.jpg

;)

retinajoy
12-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Pic of Little Yoda.

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/8431/yodaholoroomlight.jpg

G3D
12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
... but Episode I and II are clown shoes.
Christopher Lee's character was one of the few highlights in Ep. II and like Darth Maul he is fodder with no build-up or development. So when Anakin kills him--pretty early in the next movie, I heard--it will be a hollow victory. Most of the audience will barely remember or care why stopping 'Dooku'(could he have a more unfortunate name?) is important.

Lucas botched it last time by introducing Dooku in the last half hour of ep. II, and then revealing at the end that Dooku was in fact conspiring with the Emperor/Sidious character to start a war and wreak general havoc. By that point no one cares. Another villain who doesn't do anything to make the audience hate him, besides wearing black and weild a red lightsaber.

So now in ep. III we are supposed to believe that Dooku has somehow captured Palpatine and shackled him to a chair while he fights Anakin? Does he not realize that Palpatine and Sidious(the hooded guy in the first two episodes) are the same? Or did Lucas forget?

I'm afraid once again, we'll get a story that makes no sense at all.

dfacto
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Lucas botched it last time by introducing Dooku in the last half hour of ep. II, and then revealing at the end that Dooku was in fact conspiring with the Emperor/Sidious character to start a war and wreak general havoc.
Dunno, anyone who saw the first 3 movies should've seen it coming from miles away. Anyone who didn't must've been living under a rock in New Guinea for the last 30 years.

So now in ep. III we are supposed to believe that Dooku has somehow captured Palpatine and shackled him to a chair while he fights Anakin? Does he not realize that Palpatine and Sidious(the hooded guy in the first two episodes) are the same? Or did Lucas forget?
I'ts probably a trap as mentioned earlier. Sidious/Palpatine has Dooku kidnap his Emperor persona, and gullible Anikin goes to rescue him, thinking that the Emperor is actually in danger. Course, it's really a trap to get him super pissed and yank him into the dark side.

Probably.

Ondrayce
12-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Pic of Little Yoda.

I'm afraid I won't be able to keep myself from laughing if I'm forced to see him fight again. What a joke.

Exlinked
12-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Nice... Absolutely Nice !

Boone
12-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Re: FlipNap.

That is like saying we should all go back to using Stop-motion. :rolleyes:

Re: Ondrayce.

Yoda could have you - he could. You wouldn't stand a ****ing chance, mate. :buttrock:

Re: Richcz3.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have to say that I was kinda dissapointed when Obi says "He was the best Starfighter pilot in the galaxy..."...Anakin taking out a Battleship in Ep1 wasn't exactly the heroic image I had in my mind... :hmm:

Joe_H
12-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Speaking of little Yoda!

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/4732/95yodaman8kb.jpg

General Tarfful!

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/1659/f3bigguy8iv.jpg

I'm afraid I won't be able to keep myself from laughing if I'm forced to see him fight again. What a joke.
Give me a frickin' break! You can watch all the strange things in movies, yet you have a problem watching a little green Jedi named Yoda fight in a film series that's had a giant slug named Jabba? That's the joke!

dfacto
12-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Rasta-Wookie!:applause:

embodiedform
12-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Wookies rule!:)

SovereignKnight
12-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Damn that's a big Ewok!

radde
12-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm looking forward to see Yoda back in action. When he faced Dooku in Ep2 he seemed to be some kind of rubber ball. :bounce:

However, the screen grabs look auspicious.

radde
12-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm looking forward to see Yoda back in action. When he faced Dooku in Ep2 he seemed to be some kind of rubber ball http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/bouncy.gif .
However, the screen grabs look auspicious.

furre
12-19-2004, 04:18 AM
His hands going missing will only lead to a PG, but if Dooku loses his head( :cool: ), it'll be a 12. Not necessarily. Lutrz's head was very much cut off in The Fellowship of the Ring (which had a PG rating in the UK). You could be right, of course. I'm not too knowledgeable about the rating system of other countries.

Boone
12-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Re: The Electric Monk.

Wasn't Lutriz a goblin?:curious:

There are PGs that allow be-headings if its a monster or something...for example - a Skeleton getting the chop in Jason & the Argonauts... :lightbulb

The other two examples that contradict this though, are Empire Strikes Back and Clash of the Titans...so maybe you're right! :argh:

Virum
12-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Lurtz was an Uruk-Hai.

However, in FOTR there are 3 or so beheadings, one of the ones in Moria actually spurts blood...

Edgemaster
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Whoa that wookie looks crazy! Im hoping this movie makes up for Ep 1 and 2. Either way Im looking foward to this movie. If anything its worth watching the lightsaber fights.

Daniel-B
12-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey guys. Starwars.com just released some images of ILM's model shop working on environment models for Episode III. It shows a few planets, including MUSTAFAR, the volcano planet where Obiwan and Anakin duel each other for 12 minutes of the film. Mustafar is on the thrid page of the article. Check it out...

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/profile/f20041217/index.html

Boone
12-19-2004, 11:24 PM
I love model kits!:bounce:

Daniel-B
12-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't know any model kits that are 20 ft. by 40 ft. ha ha.

macqdor
12-20-2004, 01:52 AM
**********Spoilers*********************

Yes it is true Anakin wil indeed cut off Dooku's head at the end of the fight. Anakins skills have improved greatly since there last meeting.

Why does The Emperor look so young?

-Well he's not really young, but the face of Palpatine, Sidious are quite different. The dark side of force ages him so, but also aides him in helping disguise his true ententions.

The trailer revealed a much much sidious, and older Palpatine just before he whipps Mace Windu's but in there first and final duel.

Also the time between ROTJ and the new movies are some what a period of 20-30 yrs. Plenty of time for more wrinkles to appear.

Boone
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Re: Macqudor.

Wrong. Its because he uses new clone bodies to hold his evil spirit. Surely you have read Dark Empire?:curious:

macqdor
12-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Not wrong BONE

george lucas does not subscribe to book series in regards to his characters, esp not 100%.

The deal with The Emperor is he is a divine Sith Lord, but the dark powers one must use does weigh on one's physical appearance over time. In essence Palpatine is juggling the disguise of three people. 1) Palpatine(a reluctant leader 2) Darth Sidious(Sith Lord) 3) and The Emperor...........who he will claim by end of the movie, never to even mention his Sidious name again.

All three dimensions show on his face daily.

sundialsvc4
12-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I guess I'm supposed to be saying, "Ooooh! Star Wars!" Right? :rolleyes:

Frankly, my dear ... George Lucas sucks as a screenwriter. I'm sorry, maybe I'm the only person in the known universe to say this, but the Star Wars scripts are bad and steadily getting worse. They have all the marks of a Boss who does not tolerate anyone standing up and saying, "Umm, sir, you have no clothes ..."

We do not have, in any of the films, a character whom we can say is more than two-dimensional. Dozens of ancillary characters populate the sidelines of the story, but villains inevitably get killed off with the regularity of a Star Trek Security Officer. After a while the stories, doomed to being trite, simply become boring.

The actor who played Darth Maul is an extremely skilled martial artist and stuntman ... you could easily see in all of his scenes that he knew what he was doing ... but his character was toast. Dooku ("Dooku?!" C'mon....) is obviously toast too. What a waste of Christopher Lee...

In the Extended Edition DVDs, Lucas openly stated that each episode has a specific formula, repeated each time. Guess what... it shows.

All of this stuff was incredible when the very first episode was aired ... I know, I was there. But, "what have you done for me lately?"

Boone
12-22-2004, 10:42 PM

You're a nice chap an'all...but your point ain't exactly that strong a point! :curious:

Re: SundialsVC4.

Yup - George ain't the greatest screen writer or director. But lets face - he certainly has a passion for making movies.

I personally think too much is made out of Ep4:ANH. When one compares it to ESB and ROTJ, one can immedietly see its the "odd man out" - and I don't mean just visually... :hmm:

Ondrayce
12-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Yup - George ain't the greatest screen writer or director. But lets face - he certainly has a passion for making movies.
Not really. He has a passion for making Star Wars. If he had a passion for making movies, he would have moved on long ago. And that's what the good directors do. They don't restrict themselves to one concept for the rest of their lives. Looking at his work on THX-1138 and for his part in the Indianna Jones series, he could've done very well for himself. But he locked himself in Skywalker ranch and chose not to grow up.

igorstshirts
12-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Kinda like Tolkien?

Boone
12-22-2004, 11:46 PM

True, but you must remember that he is a *producer* as well. BTW - he didn't direct Indy, so thats not a good example if you say "a director is a filmmaker". :hmm:

Ondrayce
12-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Not exactly. Tolkien's writing goes just a bit further than the Lord of the Rings.
-List- (http://www.tolkiensociety.org/tolkien/bibl2.html)

Ondrayce
12-22-2004, 11:51 PM
BTW - he didn't direct Indy, so thats not a good example if you say "a director is a filmmaker". :hmm:

Sorry. Should've been more specific for the "for his part" meaning his story.

igorstshirts
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM
About as diverse as George's films. Plus, taking account of the visual contributions as well as the writing.

Pixarman
12-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah the man has truly lived a sheltered life....whatever.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000184/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9R2VvcmdlIEx1Y2FzfGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1
He may not have directed much over the years, but the man hasn't stopped working. You make it sound as if he sits in his office playing with star wars figures all day long. First of all, he's done with Star Wars after Ep3 comes out. He only decided to finish out the movies because it was a sure thing, money wise. Instead of putting all of his money into something that might flop, he went the path that had instant payoff. You have to understand that Lucas is not only a filmmaker, but an owner/CEO of a huge conglomerate of film, video game, and VFX companies. Any other CEOs like that out there making films, producing others, and still even writing more projects?? Plus on top of all that he has raised three children on his own. So anyone that creates so much has got to have a passion for film in general.

Like him or not he almost single handedly made movies what they are today. It's because of him that we have this place, CG talk, to come and crap on his movies. It's because of him that we have Photoshop, Pixar, and Home Theaters that blow away most cinemaplexes..

I don't understand why so many people hate him. I'm thankful for him being there. He is the one that gave the industry the swift kick it needed. You may not like Star Wars, which is totally cool, but there is a much larger picture there that people fail to see.

My half nickel
Pixarman

TextureGal
12-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Well, I fell in love with the original 3 as a kid. The first two of the new ones were a bit disappointing to me, but I'm still psyched to see what happens in this one. It looks pretty cool.:bounce:

rodrigogua
12-23-2004, 11:22 PM
that's kinda the magic of star wars. we all know what's going to happen in the last movie, but we are all expectant to see how it is that it's going to happen. lots of things are bound to be going on in the last one.

-palpatine unveiling and becoming emperor
-padme pregnant/giving birth (she might even die)
-obviously, Anakin becoming Darth Vader
-the fall of the Jedi Temple
-Yoda's and Obi Wan's exiles
-the beggining of the construction of the Death Star

that's a lot, and it's prone to be way better than the last two!!

Lord3d2
12-23-2004, 11:34 PM
New Pic

http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/starwars/card

!!!

JayEdwards
12-23-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm looking forward to it, waited a long time too. The Finale. Incidently, I read, the reason Palpatine ends up the way he looks is because of Yoda, apparently he throws some force lightning at the gruesome greenie and he deflects it back at Palpatine and 'melts' his chops!!

Thats what I read anyway, but it remains to be seen yet.

_J

Daniel-B
12-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Hey, guys, just thought I'd update a few more pics for you.

Yoda after getting thrown against the wall by the Emperor...

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/5884/memnon14um.jpg

Jedi coming in to confront the Emperor...

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/1167/memnon27qv.jpg

The Emperor...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Superant/nice_teeth_mtfbwya_ROTS.jpg

Padme dead on the operating table in the background...

http://www.idontfear.com/rots/theend.jpg

And Count Dooku right before he gets his head scissored off...

http://www.idontfear.com/ROTS/snip.jpg

Kimotion
12-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Awesome!

The Emperor's face looks really rubbery but who cares.

And I'm noticing that there are so many non-humanoid characters in the prequels. It' so noticeable that if you sit through Ep. 1 - 6, by the time you get halfway through ep. 4, you'd be like, "WTF, where the F did all those aliens in the background go?"

KevinKraeer
12-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey, guys, just thought I'd update a few more pics for you. You are doing an awesome job man. It looks so real!

kmest
12-30-2004, 10:31 PM
wow...great pix.
the more i see the images,the more i'm thirsty to see the movie...god i cant wait.

NanoGator
12-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Like him or not he almost single handedly made movies what they are today. It's because of him that we have this place, CG talk, to come and crap on his movies. It's because of him that we have Photoshop, Pixar, and Home Theaters that blow away most cinemaplexes..

I don't understand why so many people hate him. I'm thankful for him being there. He is the one that gave the industry the swift kick it needed. You may not like Star Wars, which is totally cool, but there is a much larger picture there that people fail to see.

My half nickel
Pixarman

Well I don't hate George Lucas, but I wanted to comment on your post anyway. :D

Lucas may have directly or indirectly made our lives very interesting. That doesn't mean we have to like his current crop of movies. The dude had LOTS of interesting opportunities when taking up the prequals, yet the result has been rather bland. It's gotten to the point where it's hard to take the original trilogy seriously.

We could look at the bigger picture, but that's even more bleak. He's making 3 movies that push the bounds of VFX in many ways, but they're not making the difference the original trilogy did. Instead of 'ooos' and 'aaahs', instead there's a great deal of criticism over over-use of VFX technology. He's seriously running the risk of driving audiences towards movies with less VFX. That's not good for our careers. I've actually avoided movies that had heaps of VFX in the previews thanks to the prequals. (Dungeons and Dragons, anybody?) I believe that a lot of people are thinking "He's being irresponsible, and our field of work may suffer for it." Frankly, they've got reason to think that.

Kimotion
12-30-2004, 11:12 PM
He's seriously running the risk of driving audiences towards movies with less VFX. That's not good for our careers. I've actually avoided movies that had heaps of VFX in the previews thanks to the prequals. (Dungeons and Dragons, anybody?) I believe that a lot of people are thinking "He's being irresponsible, and our field of work may suffer for it." Frankly, they've got reason to think that.
So are you saying that a person in his position should NOT push the boundaries even though he has access and the opportunities to push them? One should not try to improve or go farther just because it MIGHT be too much advancement? With all due respect, CG is not nuclear technology or cloning. There should never be limits in art.

However, I think I know what you mean by "irresponsible." He may be doing special effects just for the sake of doing special effects while disregarding the story. Whether that's true or not, it's for the audiences to decide.

NanoGator
12-30-2004, 11:17 PM
"So are you saying that a person in his position should NOT push the boundaries even though he has access and the opportunities to push them?"

No. I'm saying people in our industry have cause for concern, especially when damage is being done. The post I was replying to was being dismissive of people's criticisms of Lucas. I was trying to explain to him that people actually did arrive at their views with good cause.

macqdor
12-31-2004, 01:17 AM
These pictures Rock and Kick Butt.

--Keith

^5

Kenny Hootkins
12-31-2004, 01:47 AM
These pictures Rock and Kick Butt.

--Keith

^5

Maybe, but the movie will suck balls. You can count on it.

macqdor
12-31-2004, 02:07 AM
@Kenny

Thats because you really dont like Star Wars. I've noticed alot of people who lack postive input still say this movie will suck. When everything from trailer to pics shows this movie does look promising. So I will make a friendly wager . SW3/ROTS will rule the Summer of 2005, and gross over $400++++ Million domestically.

from what others have told me about what happens and the Visuals. This movie will indeed put the "Wars" in Star Wars.

KL

Kenny Hootkins
12-31-2004, 02:59 AM
@Kenny

Thats because you really dont like Star Wars. I've noticed alot of people who lack postive input still say this movie will suck. When everything from trailer to pics shows this movie does look promising. So I will make a friendly wager . SW3/ROTS will rule the Summer of 2005, and gross over $400++++ Million domestically.

from what others have told me about what happens and the Visuals. This movie will indeed put the "Wars" in Star Wars.

KL

Episode I recap
The Trailer:
•Yoda: "Anger leads to...," Cool.
•Obi-Wan "They all sense danger about that boy." Ominous.
•Space battles: Even better!
• Maul: "At last we will reveal ouselves to the Jedi" Too slick!

The Actual Movie:
Five year olds in the audience were laughing AT the movie, not WITH the movie. It sucked. Face it.

Epi II recap
The Trailer:
•Anakin: "thinking about Padme is intoxicating..." Uh-oh cheesy romance, I think we're in trouble...
•Padme: More wooden delivery of sub-sophomoric dialogue ... yup we're in trouble.
•Clones: Now thats more like it.
•Jedi surrounded and fighting for their lives: finally we have a Star Wars movie, right?

The Actual Movie:
I saw people one row in front of me cringing at the performance of the guy who plays Anakin. It was dreadful. Future generations who watch these movies in numerical order WILL MOST DEFINETLY NOT take Darth Vader seriously when they associate the character with that skinny, whining fool in the prequels. Through miscasting, bad dialogue, and bad direction one of the best villain characters EVER has its status devauled 'in one swift stroke.'

The original trilogy worked because it had likeable characters who you wanted to see triumph. Can you honestly say you care about what eventually happens to the character Anakin Skywalker as portrayed by that horrible actor?

And you seriously think Episode III will be any different?

The originals kept the audience wanting more; the prequels have the audience saying "No, thanks, we've had enough" after episode I.

NanoGator
12-31-2004, 03:19 AM
If you're going to judge this movie, do it by something other than box-office intake. The original Star Wars trilogy is so ingrained into our culture that Ep3 is a must see regardless of whether it is a good movie or not.

Kenny Hootkins
12-31-2004, 03:24 AM
I'll see it, too. I love the visual effects--spaceships especially--as much as the next guy. I agree with Nanogator's thoughts about the prequels as well.

ceql
12-31-2004, 03:34 AM
New pics!:

http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/albums/fox2005/E3_5.sized.jpg
http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/fox2005/E3_5

hires (2500x1200): http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/fox2005/E3_5?full=1

http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/albums/fox2005/E3_6.sized.jpg
http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/fox2005/E3_6

hires (2500x1200) : http://inlandempirestrikesback.net/v-web/gallery/fox2005/E3_6?full=1

Apoclypse
12-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm sorry I'm a cg guy and regardless of how crappy the movies are I'm going to see it, to see the bes ILM can offer. I love to see spaceships and explosions and stuff, and eventhough there is no craftsmenship in the script, directing and acting there is craftsmenship in the art and animtion in star wars. Till this dya I have yet to find scene that look looks a little off ( this usually happens in effects heavy movies ie LOTR) its that beautiful. SO screw the story and just look at the pretty pictures cause thats all star wars is good for now.

Kenny Hootkins
12-31-2004, 03:51 AM
Look at the picture of Anakin and Obi-Wan facing the droids. Ewan MacGregor looks like he has a feel for the character he's playing. Look at the guy playing Anakin. Look at his expression--he's not even present. He sucks.

NanoGator
12-31-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm not terribly impressed with Hayden's acting thus far, but it would be fair to say that the context of this image (or lack of) may be misleading.

CaptainJackSparrow
12-31-2004, 03:58 AM
These prequels have failed for 3 reasons as I see it:

1.) They're audience unfriendly 'descension' plots + you know how it ends. Anakin's fall from grace is a poor story to tell, audience will _never_ connect with this plot on the level of hte originals. For that matter the first two films are largely irrelvant to the story, the first in particular is just unecessary.

2.) They have been terribly miscast. Hayden is wooden, Natalie is wooden and Ewan is boring. The bad guys aren't bad enough.

3.) GL has no directoral flair. He's no James Cameron or John Woo when it comes to creating some synergy between the shots and the musical score etc. He doesn't have the knack, but most ppl don't have it to be honest, so can't hold that against him.

The CG in the films is generally very high, but again, not perfect, I often found myself looking in TPM at the unconvincing matte paintings of Coruscant and thinking, hmph those sweeping cityscape shots are obviously too expensive for GL to splurge on.

Joe_H
12-31-2004, 04:43 AM
Look at the picture of Anakin and Obi-Wan facing the droids. Ewan MacGregor looks like he has a feel for the character he's playing. Look at the guy playing Anakin. Look at his expression--he's not even present. He sucks.
You've got to be kidding. You can't base anything off a picture. Who knows when or how that picture was taken. For all we know it could be in the middle of a take, or even in between takes when they're getting ready for a shot. If anything, Ewan's expression is the one that looks odd.

Joe_H
12-31-2004, 05:11 AM
I believe that a lot of people are thinking "He's being irresponsible, and our field of work may suffer for it." Frankly, they've got reason to think that.
I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks that is out of their mind. They don't have a reason to think that. If it wasn't for George Lucas, these people likely wouldn't have a visual effects industry to speak of. Even if they did, it would pale in comparison to what it is today. Lucas is practically the modern father of visual effects. This industry didn't really exist when Star Wars was made and he created ILM. There weren't any VFX companies in 1977 other than ILM, which was nothing more than a few guys in a garage. There was no organized industry. He created it with ILM and the movies they made.

I also fail to see how Lucas is being irresponsible. He's making one film in a year where a hundred films will be released, if not more. How is he being irresponsible? If you're talking about the overuse of VFX, well, that was being done long before Lucas ever started making the prequels. You can't lay the blame on Lucas for that. It would be one thing if the visual effects in the prequels sucked. But not only do they not suck, he's pushing the boundaries in ways we can't even fathom. He's coming up with new techniques to make things easier for filmmakers in the future.

but they're not making the difference the original trilogy did.
There's no way any movie today is going to make the kind of impact the original Star Wars trilogy did. It's a different time and place, and there's no way Lucas could catch lightning in a bottle twice. LOTR didn't really have an impact on the VFX industry either. Neither has any other film.

He's seriously running the risk of driving audiences towards movies with less VFX.Well, the facts don't back this statement up. Look at films like Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, and other effects-heavy films. They're making a killing at the box office. The small films without effects aren't the ones making the big money. It's the FX-laden films that are making the big money. Of course, if a film truly sucks, then it's not going to make any more regardless.

Maybe, but the movie will suck balls.
Grow up! Don't act like one of those 15 year olds who hangs out on the aintitcoolnews.com talkbacks.

the prequels have the audience saying "No, thanks, we've had enough" after episode I.
LMAO! Yeah, the movie audience really stayed away after The Phantom Menace. Episode II only made 310 million dollars. I'm sure Lucas was at home crying about how disastrous AOTC's box office take was. Do you even realize how ridiculous that statement sounds? Episode II did something only 17 or so films in history have ever done, make 300 million dollars. We're talking about the fifth film in a 25 year old franchise. Star Wars is not hurting at the box office, and people aren't staying away.

WeirdoStudio
12-31-2004, 05:25 AM
:rolleyes: oh brother.. The pictures do look pretty cool, but I just don't buy Hayden as Darth.. What a baby...:twisted:

G3D
12-31-2004, 05:50 AM
:rolleyes: oh brother.. The pictures do look pretty cool, but I just don't buy Hayden as Darth.. What a baby...:twisted:

And what Kenny Hookins wrote is right on. Hayden C is a lousy actor. I saw a preview for "Shattered Glass," and thought it might be good--the real events it was based on are interesting and relevant--but when I saw him pretending to act in the preview I decided to skip it.

I'll admit the Dooku picture with the two lightsabers that look ready to chop of his head is pretty good...got to see how that plays out.

macqdor
12-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Episode One:

80% of the audenice in attendance including children said while leaving the movie was a great movie? Giving it a thumbs up. Siskel and Ebert "Thumbs Up" . Movie is the movie of the Summer in 1999 I believe grossing over $420 Plus Million dollars in the US alone. Still ranks in the top 5-10 movies of all times w/Box Office Reciepts.

Attack of the Clones: Many critics said it was better that the first, Box Office Estimate in the US was $315 Plus Million /cost less than half of that to make. Both movies world wide have neared the Billion dollar mark. Opens and sets Japan Box Office Records. To this day still a favorite in Japan.

-Gives birth to the Cartoon emmy Winning Clone Wars cartoon.

Still ranks in the top 20 movies of all time in regards to revenue*

Revenge of the Sith:

a) Jedi Purge

b) Birth of Vader

c) Yoda is debunked and handed his walking stick

d) Mace aka Bad M-------ker is killed, lightsaber fight takes over 2 football fields, "doesnt go out like a punk."

e) an Army of Wookies fighting Clone Troopers

f) The greatest sword battle on screen is rumored to be 12-17 minutes long-NON STOP.

g) Trailer has revealed some awesome stuff.

a Mad and Disturb Palpatine or is that really Palpatine ?

any questions

will make over a Billion dollars world wide securing George Lucas's title of having the riches movie franchise of all time. Cost of all three movies still is way under 500 Million, world gross all three 3 billion dollars. Do the math buddy and go fish ?

WeirdoStudio
12-31-2004, 07:03 AM
macqdor just where is everyone getting all this information about episode 3? I mean i thought lucas would keep this thing so secret that no one would find out until opening day.. The way i have seen some people describe what happens in the movie is like they have already seen it... FOR the record though let me clear up a few things.. I grew up on star wars like everyone else here.. I'm just kinda upset that lucas has seemingly given the last 2 movies a childlike presentation, and i just think that he chose the wrong 2 actors to portray Darth Vader.. The kid in Phantom Menace was not a good child actor, nor is his olde counterpart Hayden.. I do love the effects in the films, and i love a good lightsaber fight.. I also love MACE.. use the force mot-----:eek:...

Dirtystimpy
12-31-2004, 08:35 AM
macqdor just where is everyone getting all this information about episode 3?
yeah, this is bothering the sh!T out of me!

Ed Bittner
12-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Okay,
About a year ago, I was surfin' the net, and happened upon a link that had an interview( can't remember if it was C.H.U.D or what), with someone who was reportedly on set during the filming of Ep.3. This guy, (who shall remain nameless 'cuz I don't remember his name), gave up spoiler after spoiler, and thus far, everything he said he saw during his time there has been officially released.
**********POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD****************
The source stated that the whole key to Annakins plunge into the darkside has to do with his,(Annakin), not wanting to see anymore loved ones die. He's already mentioned this in Ep.2 that someday he will be powerful enough that no one need die again. THIS is what Palpatine seizes upon. He tells Annakin that it is possible to never die,( ghostly Jedi at the end of ROTJ), and to also prevent others from dying. If only he shifts to the darkside.(Lie). Once Annakin realizes he's been duped, (when Padme dies), he unleashes a display of the force heretofore unseen in the Star Wars movies. He murders, or allows to be murdered, the younglings, ( you know, the children that Master Yoda was teaching lightsabre skills. Source claims although not seen with his own eyes, he assures us it will happen). We know that this whole "go over to the darkside and no one will die" stuff is a lie 'cuz the only major Jedi player NOT to be seen so far in their ghostly form is Palpatine himself.
I printed this whole interview when it came out, but can't remember where I stacked it. If I can think of anything else from this article, I'll post it. So, there you have it.
I guess....................................
E.

DCHAD
12-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Has anyone mentioned that the acting in the first trilogy was B-Grade shit as well! That's part of the appeal! On top of all the kewl stuff! Long live Palpatine! And cheers to beating down whiney little bitches like Anakin and turning them into real men like VADER!

Thanks Mr. Lucas, your cheesy ass kicking films make me feel all warm inside!

-DCHAD

macqdor
12-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Where Do People get this Information from ?

Thats a good question. Geeks, cgi guys like you and me work in and around ILM, and Lucas Films. Lets face it people talk , employees talk and especially to there friends and the internet. Secondly we've known for quite some time after the first movies came years a go certain events that needed to happen.

- We know lots of Jedi die based on the fact in the original movies only Yoda, Ben and Luke are Jedi's. But Ob1 reveals there use to be thousands of Jedi.
-We know Darth Vader played a key role in many of them being wiped out.
*So thats what we'll see in this movie.

A lot of the spoiler alerts have come from sources like TheForce.net and StarWars.com itself for its Hyperspace members who get key access to behind the scenes happenings of the movie.

When Lucas hands over his screen play to ILM and Lucas Arts, thousands of hands touch it and leaks are bound. Naturally GL doesn't like for all leaks to be given out, but hey its the 21st century age of the Internet what can he really do?

Pictures and character synopsis are giving to other companies like Pepsi, Target, M&M, and etc for Marketing preparation. Well those people have families also, so they leak information as well .

This time 4 yrs a go the screen play of Attack of the Clones was released on the internet creating a fire storm at Lucas-Films and a love fest amongst the fans.

Months prior to the movie release AOTC., the movie was shown in its entirety to the owner and host of the popular web site http://www.aint-it-cools-news.com

So to answer your question :-) Leaks are now a natural part of movie making. Of course not everything is true. But trust you me 90% of whats been posted here and elsewhere is accurate in regards to whats going to happen in the movie come May 19, 2005.

We know Anakin becomes darth vader we just don't know what finally sends him over the deep end.

Fans for years have been craving to see Yoda fight the "Emperor" and have been craving to see the Emperor weild a light-saber.

The fight between Ob1 and Anakin has been known to have taken place ever since Star Wars came out in 1977 on the Big Screen* So its natural to expect that battle to be awesome visually and physically and very time consuming as promised by GL>

So George Lucas is obliging his fans in alot of areas in regards to what they will see.

We will see Anakin murder alot of Jedi's (including Jedi children/younglings) in this movie. But we wont see Darth Vader(Suited and booted slaughtering Jedis) That will come later when the TV series comes out 2006.

Rock On People ^5

Special Note* Its funny to see how people make fun of the dialogue and stilted acting of the new movies while phrasing the old movies as being superior in regards to areas of dialogue and acting. One only has to buy the DVD's of the Original movies and listen to a Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil, and Carrie Fisher and others make fun of the dialogue they themselves where speaking. It was stilted to them as well and still is. The epitome of what made Star Wars , Star Wars in now being criticized by some. But by the world over Star Wars by far is the biggest and best movie franchise in History.

Boone
12-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Hmmm...I think the only difference between the acting in the original films and the new ones is simply "Motivation".

Look at how Han, Leia and Luke act when put together in the same room( or cockpit! ) - fire works, baby, fire works! :buttrock:

BTW, I just finished watching ROTJ on TV a few minutes ago... :bounce:

BTW2 - who is penning the script this time round? I heard it was someone who had a good reputation... :shrug:

gunslingerblack
12-31-2004, 11:41 PM
we're not gonna see vader all suited up but yet he's in the trailer for the movie?

WeirdoStudio
12-31-2004, 11:49 PM
I just wanna see some good lightsaber battles.. Even though i'm not a big star wars fan boy i kinda hate to see this series end.. I felt the same way with the matrix, LOTR, and blade.. I might complain about the kiddie stuff that Lucas uses sometimes, and even about the actors, but i still like star wars.. Its kinda American like apple pie..

Boone
12-31-2004, 11:52 PM
Re: GunSlingerBlack.

No, we shall see Vader. Black leathers an'all! :buttrock: He just won't be kicking ass that much... :sad:

NanoGator
01-01-2005, 03:25 AM
I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks that is out of their mind. They don't have a reason to think that. If it wasn't for George Lucas, these people likely wouldn't have a visual effects industry to speak of. Even if they did, it would pale in comparison to what it is today. Lucas is practically the modern father of visual effects. This industry didn't really exist when Star Wars was made and he created ILM. There weren't any VFX companies in 1977 other than ILM, which was nothing more than a few guys in a garage. There was no organized industry. He created it with ILM and the movies they made.

You're talking about events that happened in the late 70's, I'm talking about today.

I also fail to see how Lucas is being irresponsible.

I'll try to clarify with an anecdote. I took my gf to see Episode II. Now I can't get her to go with me to any scifi movies. Why? Boring plot, uninteresting romance, and the battle in the end was confusing for both of us, and I am a Star Wars fan. Take a look around. Every time there's a new VFX movie out, there are lots of naysayers that predict it'll stink. I, Robot comes to mind. I'm not claiming that Lucas caused that, but he certainly didn't help. Too many over-hyped stinkers are not good for the industry. Yes, Lucas is being irresponsible. It's hard to see if you like the newer trilogy. (Note: I did not mean that to be a insult. I've been in your shoes before in a similar debate.)

There's no way any movie today is going to make the kind of impact the original Star Wars trilogy did. It's a different time and place, and there's no way Lucas could catch lightning in a bottle twice. LOTR didn't really have an impact on the VFX industry either. Neither has any other film.

Oh, he could have. He could have made a much more satisfying trilogy. I'm not trying to belittle him, but I do feel he has lost touch with what make movies fun to watch in the first place.

As for LotR, that statement isn't true. LotR undid the damage that Episode 1 (and the Matrix sequels) caused with regards to digital actors. Gollum was quite well recieved and enjoyed by those who aren't really even into VFX.

Well, the facts don't back this statement up. Look at films like Star Wars, LOTR, Spider-Man, and other effects-heavy films. They're making a killing at the box office.

Heh. All the movies you mentioned there had a broad following before they even came out. They were guaranteed successes before they even went into pre-production. What about Hellboy? What about I, Robot? (Robot was probably not a great example, it had a following, too. Not as broad, though...) Watch when new movies are announced here on CGTalk. You'll see lots of predicted doom and gloom about them. Why? Because we, as humans, learn from our mistakes. The 3 prequels are causing murmurs like that. "Ugh, all that VFX, bet they don't have a good story."

As for the generic "well they made a bunch of money at the box office, it MUST have been good!" argument.. ugh, it'd be a FAR more interesting measure of a movie if people paid after they decided the movie was good. A lot of people will go see a movie if a.) it's hyped and b.) it's a major part of our culture. One can slap "Star Wars" on just about anything and people will undeniably be curious. Don't believe me? Then explain to me why there are so many crap Star Wars games out there ... and they STILL keep pooping them out.

WeirdoStudio
01-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Very well said NanoGator,

:thumbsup:

Joe_H
01-01-2005, 07:19 AM
I took my gf to see Episode II. Now I can't get her to go with me to any scifi movies. Why? Boring plot, uninteresting romance, and the battle in the end was confusing for both of us, and I am a Star Wars fan.
LOL! So what? So your girlfriend happened to not like Episode I. Big frickin' deal. My girlfriend hated X-Men 2 and LOTR. There are a hell of a lot movies I and many people don't like. I don't call the directors irrepsonsible. I hate to tell you this, but making a film some people are disappointed in is not akin to being irresponsible. If Lucas tried to make a bad film, that would be irresponsible. But you and I both know that wasn't the case. Did Oliver Stone intentionally try and make Alexander a bad film? Of course not. It happens all the time. It's happened ever since movies began. Directors make mediocre or bad fims on occasion. It doesn't mean they were irresponsible. Not looking after your little brother when your mother asks you too is being irresponsible. Making a film someone doesn't like, is nothing of the kind.

Every time there's a new VFX movie out, there are lots of naysayers that predict it'll stink.
Welcome to the internet, a place filled with the whiniest, most negative people on the planet. Shit man, do you honestly think that kind of crap started with Lucas. Give me a break. People have been watching trailers and saying this movie will suck, that movie will rule, for years. What are you going to blame Lucas for next, causing cancer? I hate to tell you this, but movies started long before anyone knew who the hell George Lucas was.

Yes, Lucas is being irresponsible.
No offense, but BS!

Oh, he could have. He could have made a much more satisfying trilogy.
I'm sure Lucas busted his ass to try and personally disappoint you. I think you're taking this too seriously. Grow up man, it's just a movie. Move on and let it go.

As for LotR, that statement isn't true. LotR undid the damage that Episode 1 (and the Matrix sequels) caused with regards to digital actors. Gollum was quite well recieved and enjoyed by those who aren't really even into VFX.
LOL! Episode I and the Matrix sequels have their problems, but the VFX aren't it. It sure as hell didn't cause any damage. Personally, I think LOTR is the most boring, pretentious pile of crap I've ever seen. But you don't see me calling Peter Jackson irresponsible for making a film I didn't like. Where do you get these ideas from? Oh, and there were groundbreaking digital characters long before Gollum walked his little butt across the screen.

What about Hellboy?
Hellboy sucked, not to mention the fact it was a movie about an obscure comic book character that few people ever heard of. That's why it failed. It didn't fail because it was a film with FX. The fact remains that the big event films heavy on FX, are making a hell of a lot more money than other films. You can come up with any excuse you want, but that is the truth.

Just for clarification, I didn't say every single film with big effects makes a ton of money. I meant overall, all of the big event films heavy on FX are making the most money. The fact just don't back up your statement that these films are driving audiences to the smaller film. I have no idea where you got that nonsense.

Watch when new movies are announced here on CGTalk. You'll see lots of predicted doom and gloom about them. Why?
Every message board is like this. It's filled with people who just like to be negative, or because they think it's cool to be negative. People are generally pessissmists anyway. Hell, have you ever seen the aintitcoolnews.com talkbacks. You really need to get out more. CGTalk is no different than any other board where movies are discussed. People on the internet were being negative towards movies before Episode I was ever released. Go to DVDTalk, Home Theater Forum, and any other message board and you'll see the exact same thing. The prequels didn't cause that.

Why don't we cut to the chase. You're just whining because you didn't like the prequels, and you have this need to come in and blame everything bad in the movies on Lucas and the prequels. Why? Because this is a Star Wars thread. If it wasn't, I doubt you would have said a word.

The fact is you are wrong on all counts. You seem to think everything negative in the movies started with Episode I. It didn't! Lucas isn't irresponsible because he happened to make a mediocre movie. The prequels sure as hell didn't cause any of the crap you claim they have.

Now, I'm done arguing this. You can blame Lucas and the prequels for all the world's ill for all I care. I know that's a bunch of nonsense.

WeirdoStudio
01-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Why don't we cut to the chase. You're just whining because you didn't like the prequels, and you have this need to come in and blame everything bad in the movies on Lucas and the prequels. Why? Because this is a Star Wars thread. If it wasn't, I doubt you would have said a word.

The fact is you are wrong on all counts. You seem to think everything negative in the movies started with Episode I. It didn't! Lucas isn't irresponsible because he happened to make a mediocre movie. The prequels sure as hell didn't cause any of the crap you claim they have.

Now, I'm done arguing this. You can blame Lucas and the prequels for all the world's ill for all I care. I know that's a bunch of nonsense.
Man if you look at how much you argue and get uptight with anyone who has a negative thought about star wars it would seem that you are the one who is obsessed with this movie.. No one is saying that star wars is the biggest pile of crap to hit theaters.. What we are saying is that there are certain things that lucas can be criticized about.. CALM DOWN.. NOt everyone is gonna see things your way even if you try Jedi Mind Tricks on em.:eek:

NanoGator
01-01-2005, 08:11 AM
LOL! So what? So your girlfriend happened to not like Episode I. Big frickin' deal.

That wasn't all I said. I said she didn't like it so much she won't watch any more scifi. Remember what I said about people learning from their mistakes.

Welcome to the internet, a place filled with the whiniest, most negative people on the planet.

Everybody has their motives. Consider their motives before brushing them off as 'the most negative people on the planet'.

What are you going to blame Lucas for next, causing cancer?

I didn't blame him for anything. I said he was being irresponsible. Whether or not that actually causes damage to the industry is not something I can accurately predict, nor would I claim to be able to. Maybe Star Wars will pass and all will be okay. I certainly hope so. Either way, I wouldn't have this fear if he had simply made the prequels good instead of turning Star Wars into something people are embarrased to say they enjoy. I.R.R.E.S.P.O.N.S.I.B.L.E.

No offense, but BS!

What can I say? I honestly don't mind if you disagree with me. All I am posting here is opinion, not fact. Certainly, though, you cannot disagree that both the Star Wars franchise and the movie fx industry would be far better off if Star Wars had broader appeal. Right now, the general stereotype of Star Wars fans is not pleasant. Episode I & II really tainted its fans.

LOL! Episode I and the Matrix sequels have their problems, but the VFX aren't it.

Untrue. Episode I was picked on quite heavily over Jar Jar Binks. Not just his character, either. There were a number of complaints to the tune of "Why did they even use CG for that?!" George even acknowledged this in the commentaries on the recently released Star Wars trilogy. I believe it was in Return of the Jedi while in Jabba's Palace. Evidently, the complaints over the used of CG characters got to him because he made a special point to blow off this complaints by saying "these creatures are foam and rubber, why are they less fake than a CG character?" There were a number of complaints by viewers of Episode II over some of the backgrounds in the movie. Things didn't look right sometimes. I'm not talking about complaints from artists either, I'm talking about people who aren't into the digital fx at all. Frankly, I don't blame them for their feelings either. The 'burly brawl' scene in Matrix Reloaded got quite a few laughs from my non-fx friends. Lots of head shaking. Lots of complaints about how 'fake' it looked in places.

Personally, I think LOTR is the most boring, pretentious pile of crap I've ever seen. But you don't see me calling Peter Jackson irresponsible for making a film I didn't like. Where do you get these ideas from?

LotR managed to not only please the vast majority of the fans of the book, but it also appealed to a broad audience of people who had never read the book(s?). (Can you tell I never read it? :P) It happened because Peter Jackson was thoughtful about what he put into the movie. He even went as far as to make Middle Earth quite believable. Sadly, Episode II wasn't quite up to that challenge. For this reason, people were actually able to watch and engage with the movies instead of flinching at images or characters that just didn't seem right.

Peter Jackson was responsible. He was responsible to the fans of the work. He was responsible to people who weren't familiar with the story. He was quite thoughtful about how he approached it. If you didn't like the movie, at least it wasn't for lack of trying. Sadly, Episodes I & II didn't enjoy enough attention in the places that people care about.

So where do I get my ideas? Oh come on, give me a little credit. Am I really telling you something you're just now hearing for the first time? Do you really think people flip a coin and just decide they don't like Star Wars? Do you really think that there's anything particularly laudable about Episodes I and II? I don't just mean "kinda neat", I mean something that people from most walks of life can appreciate? Ep IV had "Use the Force, Luke." Ep V had "Luke, I am your father". EpVI had arguably the grandest space battle ever seen. Like or hate Lord of the Rings, you'd be hard pressed to say that Gollum was no big deal. What was Episode I and II's Gollum? If you can't answer that, then how can you really argue with what I'm saying?

The fact remains that the big event films heavy on FX, are making a hell of a lot more money than other films. You can come up with any excuse you want, but that is the truth.

Name a big FX movie that was successful & was original.

The fact is you are wrong on all counts.

Fact? Heh.

The prequels sure as hell didn't cause any of the crap you claim they have.

I would encourage you to do a little more research. For the record, I don't hate Star Wars. I really think you should understand that before trying to quickly dismiss my points.

You're just whining like most people do on these type boards.

That really isn't a fair assessment of mine or anybody else's views, really. Everybody has their motivations, including myself. If you really think that people develop the opinions they do just for the sake of 'whining', then can you really claim you know what 'fact' really is? Or should I take this statement to mean that you are trying to 'win' by discrediting me?

Boone
01-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Knock it off.

I can see this thread going down the "dark path"... :rolleyes:

LOTR is great. Star Wars is great. Both Peter Jackson and George Lucas are taking the use of computers to new levels that will soon benefit the entire industry.

If you really don't like Star Wars - you are most definetly entitled to your opinion. Just consider those who do like Star Wars. Despite poor direction of actors - we see a certain "quality" that otherwise shines through. Its called "art".

heavyness
01-01-2005, 04:21 PM
does anyone remember the original topic of this thread?

TX-Snakebyte
01-07-2005, 09:30 AM
yeah me! ;)

here are new pics for the fans... :D

http://www.thepsychotic.com/

22 pictures all together.

1 Obi-Wan, 1 Anakin, 1 Artoo and Threepio, 7 Vader, 3 Yoda, 1 Alderaan, 1 Utapau, 1 Kashyyyk, 1 Mustafar, 2 Clonetroopers and 3 Duel Art shots.

just scroll down... :)

angel
01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Anakin doesn't fight as Vader in E3 right?

kmest
01-07-2005, 05:35 PM
wow,thanks for the PICs TX-Snakebyte. :bounce:

i dont think we see DARTH VADER on action this time.
and what is happening to that planet?is it happening to one planet orthey are diffrent planet?anyone knows?

angel
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Those are different planets kmest.

Neil
01-07-2005, 06:03 PM
We know Anakin becomes darth vader we just don't know what finally sends him over the deep end.
I heard that it was because someone slashed the tires on his xwing.

KevinKraeer
01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Aw what... they took down the images:

http://www.thepsychotic.com/

Adult images? Huh?

TX-Snakebyte
01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
hopefully the sw pictures will be back online soon...

the Vader/anakin can be found here, too:

http://haydenfanforever.com/vader.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/vader2.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader2.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/vader3.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader3.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/vader5.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader5.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/vader6.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader6.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/vader7.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/vader7.jpg)
http://haydenfanforever.com/anakin.jpg (http://haydenfanforever.com/anakin.jpg)

Boone
01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I've got this feeling, that Episode III will be best of all six films...but I also have the hunch that the scenes featuring Darth Vader will be the film's ultimate let down.

I predict that in years to come, we'll all be saying "ROTS was far and away the best...if only they got rid of Vader's scenes..."

I can't back this up with good examples...but I can...feel it. Through the force! :sad:

Tocpe
01-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I love watching fan boys fight it out online. :D

Boone
01-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Re: Tocpe.

Little boys should be seen and not heard. :wip:

Tocpe
01-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Little boys should be seen and not heard. :wip:

But I'm not a little boy. I'm a little squirrel!

NanoGator
01-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Eh I wish I had that kind of faith about Episode III. Unfortunately, it's not all that clear to me that the birth of Darth Vader is going to be all that exciting. Maybe I'm thinking too much about about the following episodes, though. Maybe George doesn't intend it this way, but should somebody watch 1-6 in order, 5 is really going to suffer. I think somebody who was capable of writing better drama could turn that setup into gold. But not this dude. I'd love to be wrong.

Boone
01-07-2005, 10:38 PM

*Sigh* - Little squirrels should be spanked whilst yelling "SQUEAALLLLL - LITTLE PIG!" :twisted:

Tocpe
01-07-2005, 10:39 PM

*Sigh* - Little squirrels should be spanked whilst yelling "SQUEAALLLLL - LITTLE PIG!" :twisted:

You got a purdy mouth...

lol ;)

baby
01-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I badly want to shit

I've got a bad feeling about this...
after flying flee yoda.
Vador in totally unimpressives poses... :(

http://babystudio.free.fr/lb/lord_banana.jpg

NanoGator
01-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Even though I'm not thinking too highly of this movie, I should at least say that I wouldn't judge the movie by these poses here. They're simply test poses, not action shots from the movie.

I'm actually quite impressed that Vader looks like he's real here.

Question: Is Hayden real or digital? If he's digital, I'm suitably impressed.

NanoGator
01-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Err.. wait.. I'm confused. Are these blue screen shots or CG Digital Doubles?

I think I made a bad assumption based on the first image.

Boone
01-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Re: Baby.

That Banana could ****ing ave'ya! You wouldn't stand a ****ing chance, mate! :wise:

I suppose it won't be long before a mod looks at our comments and thinks "WTF!?!" :eek:

TX-Snakebyte
01-08-2005, 08:31 PM
I found another site with all the images (and many more)

Check them out (if you missed them):

http://www.aptirrelevance.com/sw-archive/searchresults.php?browse=rots

Ezekiel19
01-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Those pics and more are cool.

-Keith

Joe_H
01-09-2005, 09:02 AM

Who cares! They're nothing more than promotional poses! And for what it's worth, that is not Hayden Christensen in the Vader suit in those pics, according to Helman on the official site. Hayden looks bigger in the suit. He wears platform boots in the film and a padded suit to make him look more imposing, just as Bob Anderson did in ESB and ROTJ. He was only 6' 1" and weight 50+ pounds less than Prowse. Yet nobody even knew Prowse wasn't in the suit for the lightsaber fights in ESB and ROTJ. And no, those Vader shots are of a real person in the costume.

[quote]Unfortunately, it's not all that clear to me that the birth of Darth Vader is going to be all that exciting.

Based on what I know, which is a lot, that is going to be one of the best moments in the film. Besides, the strong rumor is Tom Stoppard did a once over on the screenplay, according to Carl Cunningham who spent 2 weeks in Australia on set. He even read quite a bit of the script.

Then again, I've always held the opinion that if you hated the first two, you shouldn't even bother going to this one.

New Insider pics!

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6219/anakin4uf5fb.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=anakin4uf5fb.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/2279/anakinvsdooku5ap3hn.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=anakinvsdooku5ap3hn.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/3065/bailorgana8yb1ej.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=bailorgana8yb1ej.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/9177/generalgrievous7to0vt.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=generalgrievous7to0vt.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6650/jedifightersattack7dm0wu.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=jedifightersattack7dm0wu.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/9990/mustafar1mg5jn.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=mustafar1mg5jn.jpg)

Joe_H
01-09-2005, 09:05 AM
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/7154/obiwananakinhangar8mh6fo.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=obiwananakinhangar8mh6fo.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/6807/obiwanfightssbds9xm2wp.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=obiwanfightssbds9xm2wp.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/9625/palpatine2hi4pt.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=palpatine2hi4pt.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/4469/tfshipcrashes0wa9xv.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=tfshipcrashes0wa9xv.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/2578/tionmedon2ub5qs.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=tionmedon2ub5qs.jpg)
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/8586/yodaredguards4sj0rq.th.jpg (http://img92.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img92&image=yodaredguards4sj0rq.jpg)

Obviously, someone scanned these from a magazine, so the quality of the pics is not that good.

NanoGator
01-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but being in the industry, I gotta do my homework. This includes seeing Episode III. I'm just glad this is the last one.

NanoGator
01-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Heh. That crash image looks cool.

Joe_H
01-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, I'll be there with bells and whistles on. I think TPM was a decent film with some glaring flaws as well as some stunning moments. AOTC was a good film, with only a weak love story holding it down. I think ROTS is easily going to be the best of the three, but that still won't satisfy those who hated the first two. To each his own.

I'm also glad it's the last one, but not for the same reason you're glad. I'm glad because there don't need to be anymore films. The story ends with ROTJ, and the last thing I want to see is Star Wars Episode 9 struggling to break 200 million dollars. Look at what they've done to Star Trek. They pimped it to hell and back, now you couldn't pay anyone to go see them. I never was big on Star Trek to begin with. Then again, there won't be anymore because Lucas stated he's ready to move on and leave it behind. He said he has no more story to tell.

Boone
01-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I didn't know it had Bruce Spence playing in it! :bounce:

Ezekiel19
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Awesome

^5

Yoda vs Imperial Guards(Sith lords in Training Cool)

Daniel-B
01-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I think it's time for an update.

http://img187.exs.cx/img187/3420/mastersidious0av.jpg

Boone
01-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Re: PixelMagic.

I can only see the third pic( Obi-wan looking at Sidious & Anakin on the Hologram )... :shrug:

Gentle Fury
01-30-2005, 04:12 AM
anyone else thinkin Deep Space Nine??

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/2578/tionmedon2ub5qs.jpg

LOL!

NanoGator
01-30-2005, 04:31 AM
Ugh. Those fighters look like unholy kitbashes. Argh.

Ya know, the X-Wing was cool, but I don't know what to think of the... uh.. Beetle wings there.

NanoGator
01-30-2005, 06:09 AM
http://sequential.outpostcomputers.com/SWE3_large.mov <-- bwaahahaha!

kmest
01-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Ya know, the X-Wing was cool, but I don't know what to think of the... uh.. Beetle wings there.

u mean multi pack wings?

OMG.the pics are so GREAT i cant wait for the movie :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
the effects are more than PERFECT and grievous is as cool as always....

and BABY,your war of BANANA has even reached the shores of STARWARS,let me see,where was is began?andress challenge?but be carefull,he is not an APE,he's a DARK LORD and can do teribbe things to u,and remember,he can read minds,and maybe he will notice you've bought those FLAGS,great dammage will be caused :D

kmest
01-30-2005, 08:32 AM
http://sequential.outpostcomputers.com/SWE3_large.mov <-- bwaahahaha!

it doesnt work for me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Solothores
02-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, seems this thread needs desperatly a revive, picture galore - click at own risk!

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/3602/ep3ia86311r0vl.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/4688/ep3ia86407r5zb.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/7396/ep3ia87862r1el.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/8749/ep3ia88038r3rg.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/6048/ep3ia88454r4oc.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/2338/ep3ia88527r5hc.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/7346/ep3ia88529r8sc.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/201/ep3ia88533r4zg.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/135/ep3ia88538r7wr.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/5940/ep3ia88783r3je.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/5919/ep3ia88788r2ip.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/6590/ep3ia88804r2bk.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/4931/ep3ia89523r5xm.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/554/ep3ia90612r0fj.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/1233/ep3ia90627r5gb.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/4366/ep3ia90631r8tx.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/617/ep3ia90960r8ws.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/2630/ep3ia91259r4uq.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/6649/ep3ia91341r5gu.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/4904/ep3ia91921r7bv.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/7884/ep3ia91923r7pe.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/8968/ep3ia91928r3wo.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/3909/ep3ia92517r3qw.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/5082/ep3ia92534r3zj.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/9174/ep3ia92540r6xy.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/38/ep3ia92541r8qh.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/5193/ep3ia92651r6ny.jpg

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/20/ep3ia92663r8mr.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/9974/ep3ia92696r5mv.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/9996/ep3ia92755r2pd.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/1923/ep3art5196ue.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/2492/ep3art11906om.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/6771/ep3ia37847r5kd.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/848/ep3ia37856r5xy.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/3089/ep3ia38126r9qw.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/1554/ep3ia46891r0tg.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/598/ep3ia48768r1ad.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/8083/ep3ia48854r0me.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/1502/ep3ia51643r3wg.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/3060/ep3ia51701r6ny.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/8274/ep3ia54158r9ka.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/1311/ep3ia58595r4ny.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/2771/ep3ia59149r9jh.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/2150/ep3ia65389l6rv.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/7137/ep3ia65879r4tx.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/363/ep3ia69666l6na.jpg

http://img210.exs.cx/img210/9253/ep3ia69688l4kr.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/6541/ep3ia69829l4xe.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/2829/ep3ia71577r7vp.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/1575/ep3ia72022l5gy.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/8676/ep3ia76127r4ob.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/2814/ep3ia77340r2az.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/1162/ep3ia77360r6pl.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/6660/ep3ia85681r3ew.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/7696/ep3ia89807r2nm.jpg

http://img223.exs.cx/img223/6494/ep3ia90316r2xl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/1sdzbm

Another site featuring some not listed here:
http://www.cinemaemcena.com.br/multi_fotos_filme.asp?cod=1803

Some Gif. which shows a snippet of a kick ass fight ;)

http://img220.exs.cx/img220/5458/dookuduelsmall1qm8uf8mv.gif

baby
02-21-2005, 11:30 AM
really kewl thxxxxxxx

kmest
02-21-2005, 11:03 PM
wowwwww thanks....

and check this out http://www.movieweb.com/movies/galleries.php?film=7&id=2064 toothis site always change and uploads

kmest
02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
oops,double post

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.