PDA

View Full Version : Which method is Best Rig/Animate?

tom.lowe
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
I have modelled my two main characters in polygons and then I switch into Subdiv to create a nice smoothed character. However I only modelled in Level 1 in Subdiv so the smoothed charcters could be acheived by smoothing the polygon model twice right?

Now as far as rigging and animating go which method is Best?

Should I keep my characters as Subdiv and rig and animate them as Ssubdiv?

OR

Should I convert them back into Polygons for rigging and animating them smooth them twice before rendering?

I'm scrathching my head with this one so any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

seven6ty
12-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Polys.

SubD's take forever to calculate once rigged.

john_homer
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I would just smooth it,
you can leave the smooth node there and just change the divisions to 0 when you want it fast for animation/rigging, and just crank it up for render.

.j

tom.lowe
12-13-2004, 09:06 PM
john_homer I would just smooth it,
you can leave the smooth node there and just change the divisions to 0 when you want it fast for animation/rigging, and just crank it up for render.

Thanks for the tip John, makes it really easy using the smooth node like that.

Also I'm fairly new to setting up characters so appologies if this is a daft question,

If I adjust the weight map of the polygon character in division 0 and then crank it up to division 2 would that have a negative effect on my weight maps and would I have to start again?

Thanks

john_homer
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
as long as the smooth node is applied "after" the skinCluster, maya will continue to evaluate them is that order.
so you can always just take the divisions back to 0, edit your weights, then turn it back up.

.j

tom.lowe
12-14-2004, 12:23 AM
john_homer

as long as the smooth node is applied "after" the skinCluster, maya will continue to evaluate them is that order. so you can always just take the divisions back to 0, edit your weights, then turn it back up.
So I should build the skeleton and smooth bind it to the polygon character. Then edit my weight maps and THEN finaly smooth the character.

Is that right?

Thanks for your help John

john_homer
12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
yes, but you can still go back after applying the smooth and edit the weights, just set the divisions to 0 before editing them.

its nice to be able to toggle the smooth node on and off as you edit the weights and see how it will look smoothed, as thats how it will render.

.j

tom.lowe
12-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your help John

Just one more question, does the size of the joints matter, because I have had to put the size of my joints down to 0.10 so that they fit inside my characters body.

john_homer
12-14-2004, 07:03 PM
joint size is just a display option. it make no difference.

EDIT: thats assuming you are talking about "display" -> "ik/fk joint size".
you should never actually scale joints.

.j

tom.lowe
12-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Yeah John I was refering to the display-->Joint Size.

At the default size the bones were totally spilling out of my model but when I turned the size down to around 0.05 they fitted inside and had plenty of space between them.

I just throught that because they were overlapping at size 0.50 then they could be problems later on, but you cleared that up.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.