PDA

View Full Version : Training DVDs worth it?

randyrives
12-13-2004, 03:29 PM
I am looking at Foundation version of XSI, and downloaded the demo this past weekend. I noticed that the training DVDs will only be included if purchased by the 14th. Are the DVD's good? If they are I would go ahead and purchase, and if I don't like XSI just sell it. If the DVDs are just So So, I would continue using the Demo and make my decision after it expires.

Just_David
12-13-2004, 03:36 PM
I am looking at Foundation version of XSI, and downloaded the demo this past weekend. I noticed that the training DVDs will only be included if purchased by the 14th. Are the DVD's good? If they are I would go ahead and purchase, and if I don't like XSI just sell it. If the DVDs are just So So, I would continue using the Demo and make my decision after it expires.
IMO theyre worth it. You`ll learn plenty. I think any XSI training material is good as there is a shortage compared to 3ds or maya.

Buy and be happy!http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

jorust
12-13-2004, 03:52 PM
You can NOT deside to not buy XSI... ;)

Eraq
12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
They are great in my opinion. They cover the thing you need to get started with XSI.
Theres also lots of really col stuff if you allready know XSI.

Erik

mg3d
12-13-2004, 04:41 PM
and if I don't like XSI just sell it If I'm not mistaken, XSI:FND license is untransferrable. You won't be able to sell it. Also the DVD's are FLASH, not DVD video. So you won't be able to view them on a standard home theatre dvd player.

Just a heads up before you make a purchase with that in mind.

-mG

Felipe
12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
IMHO, they totally worth it. They have in depth coverage of some aspects of XSI that is not easy to learn whether reading the manual or trying to figure out yourself. However, in some areas as texturing for instance, they arenīt as easy to follow as the modeling part. I felt lost sometimes cause they donīt cover some basic stuff, so I had to give a good look in the help files as well.

The lack of continuity between different modules also bother me sometimes, but you will have A LOT OF INFORMATION from them. I havenīt seen all DVDs yet, but from what Iīve seen so far, I have reduced learning curve considerably.

hobo
12-13-2004, 05:33 PM
yes they're worth it. The pdfs that come with 'em are well worth a peruse :)

paulrus
12-13-2004, 05:46 PM
For free their worth it.

For $200 I'd probably not be totally happy with them.

They're good, but not well put together. They don't seem to have actually been planned out. There more like a bunch of tutorials done by various people at various times for various reasons all put together on a DVD. Since they're Flash based, you can't fast forward or rewind the videos - nor can you play them on a standard DVD player.

I'd recommend getting Abelfish's introduction to XSI video over on 3Dtutorial.com as a supplement to the DVDs that come with Foundation. It's excellent.

HTH

Paul

randyrives
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I did not know that Foundation's license could not be transferred. I will have to think on this some more.

mg3d
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Since they're Flash based, you can't fast forward or rewind the videos
actually you can, there's a little submenu in the slider that lets you scrub the currently playing file. Took me a while, but i did find it.

-mG

loopdreamz
12-13-2004, 06:14 PM
For free their worth it.

I'd recommend getting Abelfish's introduction to XSI video over on 3Dtutorial.com as a supplement to the DVDs that come with Foundation. It's excellent.

Another vote for 3D Tutorial. Just bought it myself and it's fantastic, pretty comprehensive and well paced. Top notch stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.