PDA

View Full Version : Help with this simple model

TheMagician
12-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Please give me some advice how to model this piece.

http://www.stefan.lohner-net.de/Max-Stuff/bruecke01.bmp

I am a beginner and there is one problem I have with this model:

- I started by drawing a spline for the outline ... and extruded it.

- Now I want to make the "imprint" in the stone (marked with the red X in the picture)

Can you give me any advice on how to do that? ( I am sure there must be a way around using boolean operations)

Thank you very much in advance,

Stefan

Fudge
12-13-2004, 04:16 PM
you could use bump mapping

TheMagician
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comment Fudge, but I don't want to solve the problem by mapping but by modelling.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough in my first post. I want to "extrude" the inner part of the model inwards ... but I don't know how to get the shape of the outline of this inner part .... duh ... I really have a hard time explaining this :)

Well, maybe the question is too trivial for this forum ... however, I am looking forward for your comments and ideas.

Stefan

Lord_Venthor
12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
maybe the "split-polygon-tool" will help in this case. after you've drawn the inner part you can extrude that face.
hope this works

Vertizor
12-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Boolean subtract.

BlackL1ghtn1ng
12-14-2004, 08:41 PM
If you are using Max, in the Compound Objects rollout is an object called Shapemerge. It will put the shape directly onto the object so you can extrude it.

TheMagician
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Aaah, thanks BlackL1ghtn1ng !! I forgot to mention that I am using Max. Shapemerge sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

I will try it tonight and post my results tomorrow!

Thanks everybody.

***UPDATE***

Here it is: a small test done yesterday :-)

http://stefan.lohner-net.de/max-stuff/bruecke02.jpg

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.