PDA

View Full Version : IMAX-Fueled 'Polar Express' Chugs Past $100M

worker_bee
12-13-2004, 04:29 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1603&p=.htm

quote:

"The Polar Express may have been a lump of coal out of the gate, but the Christmas season, word-of-mouth and IMAX have provided the fuel for it to become the big engine that could."

...the computer-animated wonder became an underdog after its disappointing $23.3 million opening weekend...But it has seen minimal drop-offs since, buoyed in part by its run in IMAX 3D."

worker_bee
12-13-2004, 04:35 AM
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

quote:

"Warner Bros. saw more good news in fourth place as its animated fantasy The Polar Express kept chugging away taking in an estimated $9.8M in its fifth weekend for a slender decline of only 9%. After a mild launch, the studio had high hopes that the Tom Hanks film would play through Thanksgiving and then hold onto its momentum leading up to Christmas. Those hopes are now working their holiday magic as Polar has pushed its total up to a cool $110M becoming the 19th title of 2004 to join the century club and the 15th career blockbuster for Hanks. With strong mid-week sales and kids leaving school soon for their winter breaks, the $170M Robert Zemeckis-directed hit looks to surge past the $150M domestic gross mark and could climb much higher. Overseas, Express boosted its cume this weekend to $47.1M from 45 countries."

Goon
12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
So basically its near the point where it will begin turning a profit. [Edit:] Oh, I forgot, the $170 million should cover the production costs. They still have to come up with another $100 million or so to cover the advertising.

I guess we shouldn't pray for this movie to fail too much, cause then the press would start lamenting the end of times for all cg films, but it would be nice if this "revolutionary" way of animating isn't a brilliant success.

Dragon
12-13-2004, 03:56 PM
I read in an earlier article that it needs to hit $500 mil to break even. Sounds high, i know, but don't forget, the studio doesn't see all of the ticket sale profits.

My Fault
12-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Wow, your obsession with this film is starting to get scary. Is your last name Zemeckis or Van Allsburg?

Of course I should talk, I am obsessed with all your crazy obsessed posts. I better go schedule me some time with my shrink :)

And BTW, I'm just giving you crap Worker. I think it's great that someone who is a fan of the film is so behind it. :thumbsup:

coboman
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
My guess is that this movie is going to become the most profitable, most watched IMAX movie ever. I watched it on IMAX 3D, and I loved it. The story is lame and boring, some of the kids are creepy, but the 3D is awesome.

I have recommended it to everyone I know, and the IMAX theater here in Mexico has sold out every screening.

I truly believe that this movie is going to stay at that IMAX theater for at least a year.

worker_bee
12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I read in an earlier article that it needs to hit $500 mil to break even..
$500 million, you sure your not talking about Dinosaur. From whats online the total cost including marketing is $225. That 500 is more then double! Polar has already taken in $135 million in box office alone.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=polarexpress.htm

Production Budget: $165 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $60 million

SheepFactory
12-13-2004, 09:42 PM
$500 million, you sure your not talking about Dinosaur. From whats online the total cost including marketing is $225. That 500 is more then double! Polar has already taken in $135 million in box office alone.

If incredibles did the same you would be talking about what a great failure it was and how it bombed!

you are hilarious worker bee and way too obvious.

All the more power to polar though , we dont need any bombs.

Also regarding the Imax , I think its the future of 3d movies , It brings so much to the movie. I cant wait to see robots in imax next year.

Dragon
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
wow.... I guess that makes me really stupid or something, huh worker_bee? I used to be able to tell the difference between a dinosaur and a train.... but now I find myself not being able to do that so well?????
Please let me clarify this for you....
http://in.news.yahoo.com/041116/137/2hw3e.html

"ndustry experts have said it needs to earn in excess of $500 million from all revenue sources -- theaters, videos, DVDs, television, etc. -- to turn a profit. Wall Street figured it might still profit in the long run if it can transcend bad press and mixed reviews to become a holiday classic."

And also you should try a little harder not to be so defensive and childish, especially when you're not even being attacked. I was simply stating something I read (I thought those were some pretty impressive numbers). Do you have stock in this movie or something?

dstripinis
12-13-2004, 10:51 PM
From what I read, Robots is being done with the "blowup" process ( I forget the real name ), not in real 3D like Polar was. Shame, it looked really freakin cool.

worker_bee
12-13-2004, 11:59 PM
If incredibles did the same you would be talking about what a great failure it was and how it bombed!

you are hilarious worker bee and way too obvious.

All the more power to polar though , we dont need any bombs.

Also regarding the Imax , I think its the future of 3d movies , It brings so much to the movie. I cant wait to see robots in imax next year.

I just love all the fanboys who make predictions with there heart instead of there head. Like how Incredibles would make the most money ever or the Polar would flop. Neither happened. Polar is on its way to making a profit. I see nothing wrong with liking Polar express or being obvious that its being successful. Sorry Im not a memeber of the Pixar Borg like most people on this site who bash anything that isnt Pixar.

agreenster
12-14-2004, 12:37 AM
I just love all the fanboys who make predictions with there heart instead of there head.
their heart instead of their head

Gawd that is annoying

Dennik
12-14-2004, 05:01 AM
I just love all the fanboys who make predictions with there heart instead of there head. Like how Incredibles would make the most money ever or the Polar would flop. Neither happened. Polar is on its way to making a profit. I see nothing wrong with liking Polar express or being obvious that its being successful. Sorry Im not a memeber of the Pixar Borg like most people on this site who bash anything that isnt Pixar.
Worker Bee, do you own any Sony Imageworks stocks or something???
People love Pixar because it makes good movies, with good stories, and alive and memorable hand animated characters. They don't share drugs in their movies or anything similar that would create hordes of blind followers.

You want to know why I havent gone to see the Polar express yet?
1) Because i didn't like the animation on ALL their trailers,
2) Because the story is boring, basically about believing in Santa, (Find me one Christmas movie that IS NOT ABOUT BELIEVING IN SANTA :rolleyes: )
3) Because the story and all i've seen on the trailers is one huge joyride with kids screaming and having their eyes wide open.
4) Because mr Zemeckis himself has said some very insulting words about animation, which i find ridiculous and a reason enough of not giving $7.25 to see his perfect performance captured (TM) corny Christmas movie.
5) Because i'm a great fan of Tom Hanks and i would rather remember him through his voice inside Woody in Toy Story, rather than some digital zombie in Polar Expressionless.

And i love Borgs, but i haven't joined them yet, i guess i'm too stupid to be assimilated. :D

Laa-Yosh
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM

Read it again... Studios don't get all the box office income, as that has to cover the costs of the movie theaters, the production and distribution of the reels, and so on.
With a highly overrated 50% margin, it has to make 225 * 2 = 450 million dollars to break even based on your own values.

BillB
12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, let's see - Incredibles has taken well over twice as much, and cost half as much - guess some here have different definitions of successful :)

For me, maybe scraping past break even a year later is hardly "success"

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.