PDA

View Full Version : misss_physical question

valentine
12-12-2004, 04:38 PM
hi SIers,

today i accidently found some infos about the MIsss_physical subsurface scattering node... it is part of several sss-nodes released for maya mr 3.3 ! some guys wrote a spdl that enables you to use the misss_physical node in XSI - so i downloaded the shaderpack from the alias site, copied the subsurface.dll and misss_physical.spdl into the same directory as described in the installation manual and installed it using file->addon->spdl... xsi said, that the installation was succesful.

my problem is, that i dont know where i can acces the misss_physical node. i tried to load it via the rendertree but i wasnt able to find it ;(

any help would be really appreciated !

thx in advance
jannis

p.s. here are the links to the two files:

http://home.broadpark.no/~rslettli/mentalray.html (http://home.broadpark.no/%7Erslettli/mentalray.html) (SPDL from this page)
and
http://aliaswavefront.topdownloads.com/pub/bws/bws_79/gmk_maya6_sss_mi_plugin.zip

neutronic
12-12-2004, 05:30 PM
something wrong with you, xsi4.2 has already installed by default, if you own xsi you should know about this..................
also what about RTFM ??

/n

valentine
12-12-2004, 06:14 PM
something wrong with you, xsi4.2 has already installed by default, if you own xsi you should know about this..................
also what about RTFM ??

/n what now ?

if you have nothing else to do than annoy me with useless, snotty and offending posts, let alone ! to use your words: "what about STFU ??"

hobo
12-12-2004, 08:05 PM
you have to install it, do a search for misss. When you've installed it you should find the dspreset in your
user-xsi 4.2-data-dspresets-shaders-material file

valentine
12-12-2004, 09:42 PM
you have to install it, do a search for misss. When you've installed it you should find the dspreset in your
user-xsi 4.2-data-dspresets-shaders-material file
thank you justin - i found it :)

best regards
jannis

ThE_JacO
12-13-2004, 09:44 AM
valentine and neutronic, please both of you chill.

everybody gets a RTFM from time to time (although it's a bit rude to shell it out that way), but there's no need to reply with a STFU.

we really are exhausting the stock of F acronyms here, which never accounts as good for a forum :)

valentine
12-13-2004, 12:38 PM
valentine and neutronic, please both of you chill.

everybody gets a RTFM from time to time (although it's a bit rude to shell it out that way), but there's no need to reply with a STFU.

we really are exhausting the stock of F acronyms here, which never accounts as good for a forum :)
jaco, usually i would agree but neutroncis post was just a bit too much !
first of all he indicated that i do NOT own xsi in all probability... what cheek ! im still on 4.0 which doesnt have those nodes...
second thing was the absolutely inappropriate RTFM - the lack of those sss-nodes in 4.0 implicates another lack: the lack of mentioning it in the manual !
i did various searches on that - both using google and the forum search - so i dont have to stand for a stupid and inadequate RTFM !

my 2 cents
jannis

;)

dmonk
12-13-2004, 01:19 PM
I bought 4.0 and then upgraded to 4.2.

The manuals I got with 4.0 don't say anything about the preset, so neutronic's post was unnecessary.

Felipe
12-13-2004, 01:41 PM
for people that donīt know what RTFM means like me, search it in www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) and you will find the answer. :)

STFU was easy to deduce :)

Cheers

francescaluce
12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I bought 4.0 and then upgraded to 4.2.
The manuals I got with 4.0 don't say anything about the preset, so neutronic's post was unnecessary. you should look in the appropriate place... maybe the new features section ?? :)
I think also the rtfm was really appropriate and you have to stop to make silly questions and try to find out by yourself that easy answers... where do you think that the others got their things?? also by making a fast search here or at xsibase you'll got an already overloaded/redundant list of answers.

up the quality of this forum, guys.. it's the only one at cgtalk where there's not really a mood.. and ppz post really the first thing they have in mind.
read the ' Think before you post / do the right thing' and you'll see what I'm speaking about.

ciao
francesca

valentine
12-13-2004, 03:53 PM
you should look in the appropriate place... maybe the new features section ?? :)
I think also the rtfm was really appropriate and you have to stop to make silly questions and try to find out by yourself that easy answers... where do you think that the others got their things?? also by making a fast search here or at xsibase you'll got an already overloaded/redundant list of answers.

up the quality of this forum, guys.. it's the only one at cgtalk where there's not really a mood.. and ppz post really the first thing they have in mind.
read the ' Think before you post / do the right thing' and you'll see what I'm speaking about.

ciao
francesca sry francesca, but i have to partly disagree... as i mentioned above, i havent switched to 4.2, yet - so there isnt anything in my manual that describes any about sss ! i also mentioned, that i recently purchased xsi and switched from cinema 4d where almost everything is different compared to softimage.

my only question was, where i can find the shader after installation. i did a search through the whole installation directory but i wasnt able to find it because i didnt search in c:\users\name\Softimage\XSI_4.0_Foundation\... also i searched in this forum, xsibase and google (i do always before posting any questions because it usually saves lotta time and u dont have to wait for replies) without any usable results !

neutronics post was a bit too offending for my taste - thats why i reacted annoyingly !

read before you post ;) (no offense!)

regards
jannis

p.s. keep up the great shaderwork

Gene Williams
12-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Just a thought here...
This is a wonderful place where people can share their knowledge, whatever level that knowledge happens to be at, and help others along a sometimes not so readily visible
road. Really seems that the old adage that goes something like "the only stupid question
is one that goes unasked" might hold some weight here. Not such a bad thing to just
help another guy or gal out just for the heck of it, at least that is the way my not so
high brow parents taught me. Absolutely no offense intended to anyone I simply don't
get the gist of the thread. So keep asking those questions because we can all benefit
from them, even if they are in the manual.

Gene

MJV
12-13-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm right with you Valentine. I too searched here and at XSI base high and low for info about the different SSS shaders and read almost everything there was, and still I wasn't sure whether the new SSS was the same shader as MISSS Physical. Adding to my confusion is when I did find the new shader, it was called Skim Milk! I was curious when I saw your question what the more knowledgeable here might answer, and was surprised at Neutronic's inappropriate response. Doesn't seem to me that a new member with just twenty some posts and no history of helping others need be jumping to conclusions and needlessly admonishing others.

sry francesca, but i have to partly disagree... as i mentioned above, i havent switched to 4.2, yet - so there isnt anything in my manual that describes any about sss ! i also mentioned, that i recently purchased xsi and switched from cinema 4d where almost everything is different compared to softimage.

my only question was, where i can find the shader after installation. i did a search through the whole installation directory but i wasnt able to find it because i didnt search in c:\users\name\Softimage\XSI_4.0_Foundation\... also i searched in this forum, xsibase and google (i do always before posting any questions because it usually saves lotta time and u dont have to wait for replies) without any usable results !

neutronics post was a bit too offending for my taste - thats why i reacted annoyingly !

read before you post ;) (no offense!)

regards
jannis

p.s. keep up the great shaderwork

Ablefish
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
I agree that the rtfm seemed to come a bit out of left field, especially based on the way that valentine provided links in his initial post - he was trying to share with other people.

And the way that XSI deals with addons is not the most intuitive in the world - this is obvious considering this type of question is asked in EVERY thread that involves a new shader. I think if the Node menu in the rendertree included a 2 options on the bottom "Workgroup Shaders" and "User Shaders", which opened to the [workgroup]\Addons\Data\DSPresets\Shaders or [user]\Addons\Data\DSPresets\Shaders, a lot of people would find these shaders sooner.

And later finding out about the "More..." buttons taking them to the correct subfolder would be gravy.

ThE_JacO
12-13-2004, 10:43 PM
PLEASE PLEASE do not turn this thread into a bickering about who was right and who wasn't.
out of fairness, and being a 3rd party, I asked the first 2 parties to ignore a very trivial and meaningless dispute, so that the thread could continue being on topic and useful.

I'm aware that things can be confusing, which is why in no way I supported that RTFM, but the reaction is way out of proportions.

as francesca pointed out this is NOT a heavily moderated forum, and it's so because the userbase insofar, even after the recent huge swelling, has been incredibly mature. vets have been very understanding toward newbies and newbies have been very unassuming toward the SW and its vets.

let's keep it this way or I'll close the thread and discuss with the threadstarter if he wants to open a new one with only the useful bits and none of the fuss.

thanks in advance, it's a fantastic and clean place where respect never went amiss, lets keep it this way :)

valentine
12-13-2004, 11:27 PM
PLEASE PLEASE do not turn this thread into a bickering about who was right and who wasn't.
out of fairness, and being a 3rd party, I asked the first 2 parties to ignore a very trivial and meaningless dispute, so that the thread could continue being on topic and useful.

I'm aware that things can be confusing, which is why in no way I supported that RTFM, but the reaction is way out of proportions.

as francesca pointed out this is NOT a heavily moderated forum, and it's so because the userbase insofar, even after the recent huge swelling, has been incredibly mature. vets have been very understanding toward newbies and newbies have been very unassuming toward the SW and its vets.

let's keep it this way or I'll close the thread and discuss with the threadstarter if he wants to open a new one with only the useful bits and none of the fuss.

thanks in advance, it's a fantastic and clean place where respect never went amiss, lets keep it this way :) yes, agreed. as u said - the forum has been incredibly mature, and thats why i was really upset when i read the first reply !

i tried to word my question as articulative and as helpful to others as possible ! if nothing else, because i couldnt find anything in this forum regarding misss_physical...

i got the answer that i aimed for from justin and i didnt want this thread to become a debate on principles... the reason why i needed to justify myself during the last posts is simply because i dont want to be known as the "newbie-valentine-that-always-asks-silly-questions-before-reading-the-f******-manual-or-doing-a-search" because thats really not what i am...

i think all of u "oldskool"-xsi-users should keep in mind what gene williams said (at least sometimes). especially this one: "[...]Really seems that the old adage that goes something like "the only stupid question is one that goes unasked" might hold some weight here[...]

so my bottomline is:
this forum is really enjoyable and xsi is a great software which is hard to get used to, especially when coming from another package like cinema4d...
every question that is asked and answered here may help other newcomers as well as the old stagers !

best regards
jannis

p.s. thx for your opinions @ ablefish, mjv and gene ;)

dmonk
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
valentine:

When you do upgrade, if you upgrade, the new shader is in

dspresets>shaders>materials>subsurface

If I'm wrong I'll edit when I get home to check that path.

MJV
12-13-2004, 11:59 PM
The correct path is: Softimage\XSI_4.2_Foundation\Data\DSPresets\Shaders\Material\Subsurface

Within the subsurface folder are two shaders, one called Jade.Preset, and the other called Skim_mild.Preset. You won't find any shader called MiSSS Physical.

The shader works using photons and requires that you have a photon emitting light, and also have caustics or GI activated, or both. The documentation is pretty scant and it doesn't clarify what is caustics related and what is GI related. In any case, as you've already heard, it doesn't work with Final Gathering, you have to have a photon emitting light.

There are also some real annoyances with setting up the shader in that the minute something isn't connected properly, it turns off the other properties you need to make it work.
valentine:

When you do upgrade, if you upgrade, the new shader is in

dspresets>shaders>materials>subsurface

If I'm wrong I'll edit when I get home to check that path.

markdc
12-14-2004, 02:13 AM
The correct path is: Softimage\XSI_4.2_Foundation\Data\DSPresets\Shaders\Material\Subsurface

Within the subsurface folder are two shaders, one called Jade.Preset, and the other called Skim_mild.Preset. You won't find any shader called MiSSS Physical.

The shader works using photons and requires that you have a photon emitting light, and also have caustics or GI activated, or both. The documentation is pretty scant and it doesn't clarify what is caustics related and what is GI related. In any case, as you've already heard, it doesn't work with Final Gathering, you have to have a photon emitting light.

There are also some real annoyances with setting up the shader in that the minute something isn't connected properly, it turns off the other properties you need to make it work.

I couldn't find any documentation at all for it. Is it in the user manual? Any tuts out there for using it?

MJV
12-14-2004, 02:34 AM
The only documentation I found was in the features.pdf that is on SI's site.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.