PDA

View Full Version : Downloading scene files etc

Shaun_michael
12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi,

Newbie here. As such, I am afflicted with that not-so-rare disease ask a stupid questionitis. Its painful but I'm led to believe it's relatively short-lived.

My stupid question is:-

I am very keen to do as many tutorials as I can while I wait for my training DVDs to arrive etc, and many offer scene files to download. Once downloaded, where should I put them? Is it a case of just dragging them into a viewport or something from a browser, and they will be popped into the User folder etc, or is there something more to it.

The same question applies to shaders etc.

Hopefully someone can help.

Many thanks,

Shaun

Shaun_michael
12-12-2004, 07:59 PM
... I dont suppose anyone has an answer do they? I just dont fancy either putting stuff in the wrong place or having it scattered all over the place later on.

Come on...

... pllleeeeeease?

S.

StefanA
12-12-2004, 08:15 PM
With XSI you use databases (this is a must). So start with making a new database

"File -> New Project"

Name the database a fancy name. Depending on what kind of file you have downloaded you should drop them in their respective folders.

*.scn goes into the "Scenes" folder. This is the actual scene file, to open it you do "File - Open" (as with all programs :) ).

*.emdl is a model file, so this one goes into the "Model" folder. You open this file by either drag n drop it into the scene. Or "File - Import - Model".

I hope this helps a bit.

regards
stefan andersson

JDex
12-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Scene Files:

Open the Project Manager and create a new project called Tutorial Scenes. This will give you the opportunity to put the root folder where ever you want... choose a place in your system that makes sence for you.

Scene files that are downloaded, should be put in the auto_generated "Scenes" folder that XSI creates in the "Tutorial Scenes" root.

Sometimes downloaded scenes include a whole project directory... when they do, you can either use the Project Manager to Add Project and point to your newly downloaded project root, or you can manually merge the contents of the downloaded project with your "Tutorial Scenes" project.

As for shaders, this is a bit more complex... if they are .xsiaddon files... install them with the addon manager... if they are spdl files... install them with the SPDL Manager... if they are DSpresets... load them from an appropriate PPG.

Shaun_michael
12-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys I really appreciate your help. I know it was a very basic question, and I did "RTFM", but put in layman's terms its much easier to understand.

Many thanks,

Shaun

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.