PDA

View Full Version : SSS skin

MJV
12-12-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm trying to get a realistic skin with subsurface scattering and this is my result thus far using the new SSS shader in 4.2. Comments and critisms welcomed. I'd also like to hear any suggestions about achieving this effect with other shaders. I tried using the Diffusion shader but didn't have much luck achieving the kind of falloff that I wanted. Even with this shader I find that falloff is difficult to manage. Below is a shot of the shader tree if anyone is interested. I could post the shader without the texture if anyone would like to have a look, but I'm not sure how to do it.

http://www.mvpny.com/SkimMilkMV9Candyman10.jpg

http://www.mvpny.com/SkimMilkMV9Candyman10Tree.jpg

Just_David
12-12-2004, 02:10 PM
whats that skim milk node? ** EDIT **. oh it must be the new SSS in 4.2?

francescaluce
12-12-2004, 02:16 PM
why not post it in the mentalray shader discussion thread ??
it is sticky for this, isn't it ??

ciao
francesca

MJV
12-12-2004, 06:16 PM
whats that skim milk node? ** EDIT **. oh it must be the new SSS in 4.2?
Yes. This confused me too. There is a shader called Skim Milk, and another called Jade, but they're both the same shader with different settings. I thought maybe there should be something more generically called SSS. :shrug:

valentine
12-12-2004, 06:19 PM
i havent installed 4.2, yet... is skim milk and skim jade the same as misss_physical ?

thx
jannis

MJV
12-12-2004, 06:24 PM
i havent installed 4.2, yet... is skim milk and skim jade the same as misss_physical ?

thx
jannis
That's my understanding, yes, but I'm not 100% sure of it.

valentine
12-12-2004, 06:33 PM
That's my understanding, yes, but I'm not 100% sure of it.
would be nice to get a definite answer on this, because i really would like to use sss in conjunction with hdri without using (visible) lights. before i purchased FND i used cinema4d - unfortunately the c4d renderer didnt support sss in conjunction with gi due to the lack of "volumetracing"...

regards
jannis

Lymmen
12-12-2004, 08:09 PM
would be nice to get a definite answer on this, because i really would like to use sss in conjunction with hdri without using (visible) lights. before i purchased FND i used cinema4d - unfortunately the c4d renderer didnt support sss in conjunction with gi due to the lack of "volumetracing"...

regards
jannis
Yes, the skim_milk and jade are both misss_physical.

Cheers

MJV
12-13-2004, 04:35 AM
Slight update with better shadows.

http://www.mvpny.com/SkimMilkMV9Candyman11B.jpg

Finkster
12-13-2004, 05:04 AM

regards
jannis
The Diffusion SSS shader certainly supports lighting from HDRI environments.

ThE_JacO
12-13-2004, 09:52 AM
volume based scatterers (and any non photon based SSS shaders) DO need a normal light to scatter, it's their nature, and altho I don't use diffusion (we have our own in-house shader) I assume that Daniel wrote it that way, simply because there aren't many alternatives.

HDRI environments work based on FG illumination, and that simply cannot be easily scattered, and if you did it (by analyzing the environment and creating a rig of vectors to define the scattering) the results would be horrible, or impossible to tweak, and incredibly slow.

moreso physical based SSS shaders work with photons, and an HDRI illumination produces none, only lights can.

the fact that the shading will still be affected by FG and/or GI is simply a normal shading process, but it doesn't contribute the least to SSS.

JDex
12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
The model, shader and texture is looking real good there MJV... keep exploring.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.