PDA

View Full Version : my showreel (Matt Johnstone)

Matty2Phatty
12-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Hey, let me know your thoughts on this :D anything you can see that needs improvement?
I'm not sure how long the link will work for : http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/msgr/smellyback/.tmp/Showreel%2b-%2bMatt%2bJohnstone.mov?msFhCvBBd6wcfvXP

Thanks guys

Matty2Phatty
12-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Ok, got a different link now. This one is more permanant. It's a 5mb file. I'd appreciate comments and suggestions.
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce2/mattjohnstone/Showreel_-_Matt_Johnstone.mov

JeT
12-12-2004, 05:30 AM
hi Matty2Phatty, i think you have alot of weight issues with your bipedal characters, especially the explorer character at the start. nice intro and music but you could make this reel alot shorter and snappier. would have liked to have seen some more scenario based sequences, containing more action and animation.

Matty2Phatty
12-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks man, i don't get what you mean about the weight issues though? The explorer guy was actually originally a hand-drawn character of mine, he was always drawn with odd perspective. Like the unusually wide crotch, for example... that was how he was designed, which created a lot of problems for me, when trying to make him move in 3d... but yeah, if you could explain what you meant, i'll try to fix it...

As for being snappier, yeah i think you're probably right. Thanks heaps for that :D

It was 1 minute long.. how short do you think it could be?

JeT
12-12-2004, 03:15 PM
hi Matty2Phatty, i cant seem to access your link right now to take a second look, but from memory, he was quite able to lift one of his feet off the ground with no weight shift to the grounded foot - you need adjust the characters walk cycle to accomodate for his anatomical design.

I can't say how short your reel could be, just that alot of the sequences were quite boring for my tastes, especially rotating models in wireframe then flatshade then textured. these model demos are useful in a reel, but try not to let them drag on - if you release your reel as a quicktime movie (i suggest soreson 3 codec) then your potential employer will be able to pause and look at it frame by frame if he or she wants to. if they are not wanting that then they are quite boring to endure. some of the camera shots (in your military base? i dont remember) were also quite establishing but with no follow through with a narrative perspective.

hope this helps!

M.E.L.
12-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately it seems that the Yahoo link is down from overloading and Angelfire has removed the page due to offsite linking (violates rules, d'oh!). Maybe find someone with a host or a free uploading area (i know there used to be one for demo reels that EA would suggest for applicants but I can't remember the name!). I'd like to view the animation :)

Matty2Phatty
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
It's hurting my head trying to find free webspace... i give up for now. I'll just trust that i have an awesome showreel hehe. Nah, i would have appreciated some feedback, but too much effort. More important things to worry about just now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.