PDA

View Full Version : My 1-on-1 with ERIC GOLDBERG...

SamChen
12-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Y'all:

I recently had the pleasure and honor of sitting down with ERIC GOLDBERG, the master animator of the Genie in Aladdin, the director of Rhapsody in Blue and Carnival of the Animals in Fantasia2000, and most recently, the animation supervisor for Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Here's the link:http://www.animationtrip.com/news/features/ericgoldberg/

In short, he talks about his utmost hero Chuck Jones, his mentor Richard Williams, and his experiences w/ CG and traditional from Roger Rabbit 2 to resurrecting the beloved Looney Tunes characters.

I'll end this by saying that Eric was such a pleasure to interview. We all know that animators are basically kids at heart trapped in adult bodies... but Eric seems to epitomize this better than anyone. He's mischievous, curious, well-studied, and warm to a fault. Now I know where all of his characters get their energy and humanity.

Enjoy the read! :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
12-12-2004, 06:03 AM
you are a lucky man Sam.

PixarFanatic
12-12-2004, 06:55 AM
I had the honor of meeting Chuck Jones once at a gallery in Old Town Seattle not to many years before he passed away.

I showed him my art and I asked him how he delt with the entertainment industry being so tough and well... bloodsucking. How does one survive having your work taken for granted and churned out on a shoe-string budget under ridiculous deadlines..

He said this : "Well, the entertainment industry is 90% pain and 10% pleasure.... Just make sure that only the pleasure shows in your work and you'll make it!"

That idea has stuck with me till this day. I wish he was around and teaching all of us still, what an amazing one of a kind man.

Thanks Mr Jones, whereever you are, you said just what I needed to hear.

Now... onward and upward!

mmkelly011881
12-12-2004, 08:40 AM
woohah, great interview!!.. and i just finished watching all of the extras on the aladdin dvd (for the first time)... rented it, gotta go out and buy that one soon

Bentagon
12-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I read this interview yesterday, and it was great!
I'm jealous :p

- Bentagon

Ollarin
12-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Superb article! :D

Man, i wish i could have met him. :(

SamChen
12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
As you'll read in the interview, Eric talks about bringing Roger Rabbit into the 3D domain where the CG inbetweens have the "smear drawings" reminiscent of the WB cartoons. If you think about it, that's pretty insane to do in the CG realm. I wonder if we'll ever get to see these tests? Which leads me to only dream about when the Looney Tunes characters will eventually make the transition to CG... (not that they should).

Just thinking out loud.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.