PDA

View Full Version : Spline Based IK?

jjburton
08-31-2002, 01:42 PM
Is spline based Ik possible in Lightwave? I'm working on ideas for rigging a character and have been looking at the book Digital Character Animation 2 and it recommended spline based IK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 01:53 PM
I have that book -- and would ask "where would you use Spline Based IK? " That is typically like for a tail, or a ponytail, or even like octopus arms.

You can rig a character in LightWave with IK -- no problem.

I'm just wondering why you have set on "SplineIK" -- if you could reference me to the page in the book -- I'll have a looksee.

~~Deuce

Eugeny
08-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Damn i need this function!
I saw this in Max 5 - it's so great and easy!
Unfortunately LW DON'T have Spline IK...

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 02:49 PM
You familiar with Messiah?

I believe that it has SplineIK, if I'm understanding the term.

~~Deuce
(I just animate and model, I don't care what it's called :) )

jjburton
08-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Deuce- It's on pages 160 and 183- one dealing with snake motion and the latter with a vacuum hose motion. Yeah, I know I can do it with simple FK or regular IK, but my results haven't been so good. It was the first I'd heard of Spline IK and it sounded like a great feature.

Messiah is a little out of my price range:)

Eugeny- Yeah, I saw that Max has it but the place I saw it it looked like a simple script that someone had wrote for it, maybe that's what was implemented in Max 5. Do any of you know if any other software packages support it (XSI or Maya). My school has them all so might as well use them if I can.

Thanks.

AAbel
08-31-2002, 06:26 PM
Maya has spline IK, Xsi might too not sure, though I couldn't imagine it wouldn't have it. Another cool thing about spline IK is you can apply soft body dynamics to the control curve, neat stuff.

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 06:26 PM
yeah -- ok.

uhhh -- patience grasshopper -- patience.

You know that development is ongoing with LightWave.

~~Deuce

CIM
08-31-2002, 06:33 PM
You can setup tails, spines, etc. with simple expressions in LW. It's not the same as Spline IK, though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.