PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Adobe Illustrator forum

JTD
12-11-2004, 10:58 PM
I'd like to know whether or not you'd like a forum for Illustrator (completely separate from the Photoshop forum). I know I could use the help. And anytime this community sees a good example of vecter art they are instantly suspicious. Illustrator is not a monster, it's just misunderstood.

Ithilien
12-12-2004, 03:09 AM
My 2 cents, and please don't take any offense to this ok? Just stating what I think, and you're welcome to disagree.

After some thought, I actually ended up voting no - for the reason that I don't think it fits in with what CGTalk is about. CGTalk used to have a Flash forum and that didn't work out because it was far too 'off topic' to what CGTalk really is - which is about high-end CG graphics for entertainment (film, games). People ended up posting "Hey check out my new Flash intro or Flash menu for my website", and that didn't really fit into what CGTalk is about.

As great as Illustrator is, it is used more for other types of graphics that really doesn't fit in with the whole CGTalk theme. Products in similar vein are Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand, Adobe InDesign - somehow they don't really "fit" in CGTalk....

Again, just my 2 cents.

JTD
12-12-2004, 03:48 AM
No offense taken Ithilien. In fact, that is a very good summary for the reason it probably doesn't exist in the first place. Photoshop is necessary for composting but Illustrator probably isn't a necessity for CG unless one could make a case for using it to clean up blueprints. But I see your point. Thanks for your reply.

gnz
12-14-2004, 08:08 PM
I would be more in favor of a '2D Vector Illustration' forum which could include all Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand and Flash.

CG in CGTalk, stands for Creative/Computer Graphics, and vector graphics while not the most trendy or flashy, is a really big part of it (if not the biggest). Just consider that most of the graphic design made for print publishing and advertising is done with vector graphics.

If we had such a forum I could be a contributor as I have plenty of experience in the field, particularily with the Corel Draw app.

Leonard
12-15-2004, 04:00 AM
I would be more in favor of a '2D Vector Illustration' forum which could include all Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Macromedia Freehand and Flash.

CG in CGTalk, stands for Creative/Computer Graphics, and vector graphics while not the most trendy or flashy, is a really big part of it (if not the biggest). Just consider that most of the graphic design made for print publishing and advertising is done with vector graphics.

If we had such a forum I could be a contributor as I have plenty of experience in the field, particularily with the Corel Draw app.
Sorry to have to disagree, but we've tried having a Flash forum before because many professional 2D animators are using it for television cartoon productions. But you know what happened? 99% of the posts in the Flash forum became "Please check out my new Flash navbar on my website!!" It was simply too far 'off-topic' from what CGTalk is really about.

Even though we use the by-line "Creative Computer Graphics" (for legacy reasons) - this slogan is innaccurate. Currently CGTalk does not cater for the whole computer graphics realm which would include print publishing, digital photography and even DVD authoring and web site design. CGTalk's legacy is in 3D computer graphics, post-production and visual effects. Only in the last 18 months has it expanded into 2D digital paintings. Our legacy target audience are people working in film, television and game development industries covering visual effects, post production and animation - not print publishing, web animation, etc.

Adding an Illustrator forum attracts too much that is outside of our core target audience's interests which would dilute the content/discussions on CGTalk. If we add an Illustrator forum, we'd have to add a Macromedia Freehand forum as well as a CorelDraw forum. Having a generic 'vector art' forum is also not the answer, because it simply does not fit in with our core target audience's interests - very specifically: post production, animation, visual effects.

Having said that, I have to interject and say that an Adobe Illustrator application specific forum truly does not belong on CGTalk and we have no plans to include this forum.

Best,

Leonard

JTD
12-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Thanks, Leonard. You could probably close this thread. I appreciate the explaination which shows that Ithilien was right on.

gnz
12-15-2004, 04:18 AM
Having said that, I have to interject and say that an Adobe Illustrator application specific forum truly does not belong on CGTalk and we have no plans to include this forum. That's fair enough.
thanks

GOTgraphic
12-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Interesting. So is there a 2D, vector illustration bulletin board out there (besides all the flash sites)? I'm interested in participating in such a BB (and understand CGtalk's reasoning for not going that route).

I've seen a couple of vector BBs that were Chinese (could have been Japanese or some other), but I couldn't figure them out obviously.

gnz
12-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Interesting. So is there a 2D, vector illustration bulletin board out there (besides all the flash sites)?
Well, the only I frequent is the Corel Draw support newsgroup (news://cnews.corel.com/corel.CorelDRAW12). As its name suggest it is mainly tech support oriented but every now and then there are some interesting threads. Being text based makes it not as exciting as cgTalk though :shrug:

Zack
12-18-2004, 11:04 PM
There are places where it's probably appropriate to post threads about these types of things as long as it is on topic.

If you have questions about Illustrator, I'm sure the people in the photoshop forum would love to help, and if you're using it for concepts and such you can post in the WIP area. It's not that these things aren't allowed on CGTalk, it's just that there's no forum for them as they are used for the wrong applications of the programs.

scottsch
12-20-2004, 01:30 AM
The best place for Illustrator discussion is the Adobe online forum, which is actually Usenet (adobe.illustrator.windows). It's a professional forum and real names are required if you access the forum through www.adobe.com. A lot of questions get asked and answered. Adobe monitors the forum and they may reply to some of the messages, especially when new versions get released and bugs start showing up.

mark444
03-05-2005, 10:17 AM
why cant i vote? :sad:
i hav sum Adobe Illustrator work that i wanna share, but i dont no where i can post.

JDex
03-05-2005, 11:05 PM
why cant i vote? :sad:
i hav sum Adobe Illustrator work that i wanna share, but i dont no where i can post.

You could certainly post it in the 2d WIP forum.

mark444
03-08-2005, 07:00 AM
You could certainly post it in the 2d WIP forum.
Thanx
lets see if u can find ma work there^^

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.