PDA

View Full Version : Female relaxing WIP,(nudity?)

jmBoekestein
12-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi there,

I 'm going to try and learn color painting!:bounce: I'll use painter for it. This one started as a very impulsive rough sketch done on the train to school(2h) and colored in school during class whenever the situation permitted. I want to focus on her and only hint at the background. Dunno how much time I'll have, so more as it progresses.

By the way, the background will be parts of a veranda/porch, further back vague hints of tree's and fields with nice soft toned clouds(If I can pull it off).

Hope you like it! Any tips on achieving the effect would be most welcome!:D

http://img110.exs.cx/img110/2838/lineartf10mk.th.jpg (http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=lineartf10mk.jpg) here's a SMALLER ONE http://img110.exs.cx/img110/4477/lineartf1small3wq.th.jpg (http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=lineartf1small3wq.jpg)

edit: go to last post(s) for latest version.

Nguyen
12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
it looks good, maybe bring the leg that has the foot cut off into compostion and play with perspective a bit. Make it more dynamic. But that's preference on your part. The outline looks already good. good luck painting!

jmBoekestein
12-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmm I never even noticed that,

thanks for the pointer. I think I'll try and take you up on both, Nguyen. Bringing her leg in would give her more stature too I think, along with more balanced contrast/energy. For now it's dinner and a movie though. Thanks again, I'll be posting.:D

Ilikesoup
12-11-2004, 05:07 PM
It's a good drawing so far, but the contour line along the side of her right breast looks odd. With the angle of her torso her breast would shift so I'd suggest drawing the line along the bottom. Right now, her breasts are in parentheses. :D

Nice picture, though. Did you use a reference? Was she on the train?

jmBoekestein
12-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Well Ilikesoup,

To be honest, I thought I'd get away with it. Without that line I'd be at a loss when starting the painting fase, that's when i'll put in the definitive shading. Well that's the official story, Truth is: It took me a gazillion tries to find the most attractive "config". And it's mine now, hahahaha! She has a big round chest now, I do mean the ribcage. That makes the breasts roll outward a bit, duh...
As for any reference, ziltsj. I did download reference jpg's of latina celebs for color reference later in the process. And the only one being "cute" in the train was a redhaired guy weirdly smiling at me and maintaining eye contact whenever he could. :eek: That's inverse psychs for ya!

Thanks for the crits, I'm thinking maybe I should try putting in wrinkles, that could clarify more I think.
See ya.

ajay1589
12-11-2004, 11:21 PM
i like it alot, except for the skirt in the middle...it really makes her look like shes about to get it on with someone(the way her legs r spread so wide and just a tiny skirt covering up the important bits)

also the nose seems a little small

jmBoekestein
12-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Back again!:bounce:

Thanks for the feedback guys/girls, I'm sure it helped me out. But check for yourself. I worked on the composition for a bit. Had a really bad time with her foot, but for now it'll have to do. As for background, it'll come along shortly. Doesn't look like a big change, but I also have no reference material, doh...Oh yeah, the nose was delibarate, took me a while too. Notice the weird linearlike bridge 'n stuff...no offense...:)

http://img87.exs.cx/img87/197/lineart2small4bw.th.jpg (http://img87.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img87&image=lineart2small4bw.jpg)

PS: I wasn't very sure of the subject Ajay1589, but you're probably right, I'll put a bottle of wine or som'in there. To sorta keep her busy with something else. Rest assured though, I wasn't trying to make a "sexist" pic, She sits like that because she's dauntless:wise:. But yeah, yeah, miss perfect hourglass and all. :D

ajay1589
12-12-2004, 12:49 AM
actually i think now that you can see the rest of her leg she looks a lot less "sexy"

maybe you could put a sleeping cat there....although u should be ready for the obvious comments ;)

PS: actually now that i think of it...if you would put a cat rubbing his chin on her knee or something...

jmBoekestein
12-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Dude, this is marvelous...

Ajay1589(change ur name for cryin' out loud, no offense but I'll start copy-pastin'), ur living proof of rules for composition. In this composition she is placed more towards the right. Her leg is forming a barrage toward the left...all on screen, bare with me a little:wise: .
The classical rule for "decoupage" or framing your scenes means left=evil/submissive/weak etc. and right side=good/dominant/strong/righteous etc.
Nothing changed about her bulk or energy, you can only see more now.
Gasp...:eek:...education isn't a fraud... Why didn't anybody tell me?!!

Good tip for spicing it up. I'm afraid of trying to mimic the fur on a cat though, maybe I'll simply move her back to the left, hahah...
Back to the kitchen!!!
c ya!:buttrock:

jmBoekestein
12-12-2004, 01:37 PM
And I even did move her to the left!

Could somebody please tell me if it works for the better or for the worse?
I'm trying to figure out the final composition. Thanks guys/gals.

http://img119.exs.cx/img119/7527/lineart2be4dy.th.jpg (http://img119.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img119&image=lineart2be4dy.jpg)

Feel free to comment on anything else too.
edit: The empty space in the right I'll preserve for background work. Cam. angle being slightly rotated to the right leaving a perspective towards the horizon on the very distant left. To be posted soon I hope, gotta get back to school tomorrow:banghead: ... So it might take a while.

Amida
12-12-2004, 05:51 PM
The classical rule for "decoupage" or framing your scenes means left=evil/submissive/weak etc. and right side=good/dominant/strong/righteous etc.

Also notice that the latin word for left is sinister, in our age this means, dark/evil. It's really weird if u look at it that way... How the hell did all those things become the way they are right know.. In the book "The Da Vinci Code"the Church is blamed for this. Because they wanted to ban Pagan culture. Interesting stuff i might say..:)
Good luck on the picture btw, i also think that a cat might be a bit too much of trouble for starters.

ajay1589
12-12-2004, 05:59 PM
i say finish the painting and then add a cat later (it will be a very nice touch)

Sunbane
12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
The classical rule for "decoupage" or framing your scenes means left=evil/submissive/weak etc. and right side=good/dominant/strong/righteous etc. I think I read someplace that this only is valid in western cultures, and that it's the opposite in other places. It may have to do with the way we read, but I'm not entirely sure right now though. But it is essentially correct, that we tend to think of right as "home" and left as "the unknown". ..."The bad guy always comes in from the left"...

For a motif such as this, I would personally prefer to see the girl to the right in the composition. Why? Because otherwise she'll be facing "out of" the picture, instead of into it. This would imply that we're not seeing the whole scene, and that the really interesting stuff is going on somewhere off screen to the left - or that the real focus of the piece is something going on in the background to the right.

jmBoekestein
12-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi again!

Interesting facts indeed, I cant be sure of what I'm saying is right. Although there is the fact that the human body in its experience is not symmetrical. Most of all the brain I think. Maybe such factors actually influence the way we perceive reality. I know I used to have nightmares about being chased by a giant, bomf bomf, it was my heart. But I didn't know and got scared, soow, the giant sped up.:surprised He was reading my mind, Noohohooo.
I really don't know for sure. But it could be universal.
Here's another interesting fact though. The golden cut, 1:0.618 I believe translates to 1.618 in the maths. This number is referred to as phi I think. It is also a proportion that creatures(on our planet?) enjoy as beautiful. Perfectly round equation. A bit like with that bible code, math as a perfect language. Someone even built a base model that was attractive to anybody(subdivided I hope, doh)Argh...to many...thoughts...in...brain...must...:argh:...post...progress.

Here are the latest updates, I worked on details. Anckle, arms, shirt and some cleaning up and what not.
http://img129.exs.cx/img129/8093/lineart2c9px.th.jpg (http://img129.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img129&image=lineart2c9px.jpg)

Sunbane, you're right. My intention was to make her seem as if the interesting thing was partly in the background: an very nice day for her. This is the foreground element, I'm looking for a good composition but that's as far as I got.:banghead:
I could always copy/paste the work so far. Now that I think of it, it might also be too much to try and make a perfectly beautiful background. But what the hey, nobody's paying me anyway.:scream: And I do have eight cats :D
PS:Hope this downloads okť, it's a bit bigger. Sorry.

jmBoekestein
12-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Here they are, the two I think should work. It's easier to see this way.
http://img57.exs.cx/img57/8938/lineart2csmall2cw.th.jpg (http://img57.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img57&image=lineart2csmall2cw.jpg) and http://img87.exs.cx/img87/197/lineart2small4bw.th.jpg (http://img87.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img87&image=lineart2small4bw.jpg)

If you have any comments please let me know, it's well appreciated.

c ya.

tinitus
12-13-2004, 03:40 PM
good start keep it on!

looks a bit like atuis image
http://a.tuis.free.fr/images_color/Sur_la_mousse.jpg

jmBoekestein
12-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Sahweeet...

I'll definitely take that as a compliment.:D

Goliath
12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
i think it is nicely done, i think tho that the forehead is a little off,. it is as if the hair goes thru the line that defines the skull on her left.. somehow it looks as if the head has an edge instead of being round'ish.. maybe it'll disapear when colored i dunno :)

jmBoekestein
12-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey goliath,

Sharp eye there. It started out as a neat touch. But as I progressed I think I forgot about it. But I really had to look hard to figure it out though,:) thanks. I'm thinking that I'm going to carefully check it, because her hair has a dynamic link with her left shoulder, it could be that is why I missed it, motion perpendicular to the camera angle. If it really doesn't work I'll change it, but I find it beautiful. I did clean it up a bit, and chose the final composition. Thanks Sunbane for your intelligent comments, I went for the quicker and more readable solution, then I'll get some other stuff done too.

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/8914/lineart2small8ui.th.jpg (http://img19.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img19&image=lineart2small8ui.jpg)

Good news! No school! I really should get organised, but then again, that would leave out the nice surprises too:arteest:. Anyway, I'll be posting.
PS: and from now on I'll post only more significant changes cause I feel really stupid now.

Garma
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
- very good line quality.
- I like her head a lot
- her chest should be a little wider, looks too small compared to her hips
- her armpit needs some definition.
- there 's a crease from her right back to her arm. that shouldn't be there, it should go straight behind her arm.
- her right back (her ass) is floating. bring it down.

are you gonna color it?

jmBoekestein
12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks Garma,

I'm using Painter IX's variable size pencil brush at a size of about 4 pixels, the canvas is huge at about 2950 x 3600 pixels. If it turns out well I might try and sell it as a poster, hence the size. Oh yeah I use an A4 oversize Intuos2, it's my best buddy.
I'm really glad you like her head, I tried my best in giving her "character" and appeal. And no I'm not gonna make any chest jokes, you can't make me!
Kiddin', :wise:I was thinking that if I bring her right buttock down, her hips would appear less big at the same time. Having solved that I would regret taking her out of this pose, 'cause she looks relaxed-like in this way, sorta loose. So to the chest it is, I think I'll bring more mass into that region from behind her armpit, fixing that at the same time, hopefully. That leaves me with the fact that I haven't settled for a background/setting, so the floatiness is a minor problem I think.
I don't know which crease you mean, even though there are very few of them. If you could elaborate a bit more maybe I'd understand.
And yes!!!:D She'll be in color, the whole plan was to teach myself how to color/paint in color. It's going to be an interesting WIP for that matter, since I suck at coloring. And I mean, this is gonna be take 3 ever at coloring.:surprised Man...am I stupid or what...the whole friggin planet's watching...:argh:

Isurus
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
in the pictures i saw it looks like her nose is flat/parellel to her face instead pointed outwards at the tip

other than that you got it imo.

jmBoekestein
12-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks Isurus,

I intended the nose to be flat(tish), I thought it would be a nice touch, a bit eccentric. But it should point outwards a bit more, except I don't really like big noses. I'll experiment with it.:D

Here's an update. Took some pointers, the ones I understood that is. I think I'll leave her as is for now, unless something really bad comes to my attention. But I'm happy so far. I hope the pillow doesn't look to contrived, why would it be on an table unless she took it with her? I'll have to figure that one out.:arteest:

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/3981/lineart2bfsmall1my.th.jpg (http://img158.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img158&image=lineart2bfsmall1my.jpg)

I'm thinking mediterranean setting, nice sunny day at 38 degrees. Everybody's havin'a siŽsta and she's quietely enjoying her new home, which has a very nice big garden with big walls around it. Portugees sunsets, and beautiful shades of blue. hmm, why does winter exist anyway?:love:

jmBoekestein
12-17-2004, 02:11 PM
[scream like a girl] iiiiiiihhh!!!

did ya see... I got a 10 on my image! :scream: Thanks for the support people! I really enjoyed this.
Now for the hard part of coloring!

:Ah gees...What happened to my ten? I hate this:cry: .

ajay1589
12-28-2004, 08:17 PM
i think the correction on the nose is a great improvement
now i think you should put a mediterranean cat in there(rubbing his chin on her leg of course)

:thumbsup:

supremo
12-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Quick suggestion for you. I don't know about others, but I'm finding as I mess around with digital coloring more that it helps to have more detail in the sketch to find areas of value when you color it. A plain contour drawing like yours is more difficult for me to color. Results vary I'm sure.

The contour itself is good. I think the midriff is the most realistic now, even with just a few lines it looks pretty robust. The face maybe looks a little flat to me right now but I'm sure you'll fix that as you color.

Have you started coloring yet?

~H

jmBoekestein
12-31-2004, 04:32 AM
I know what you mean supremo,

I think it's a good idea. I saw some really cool comic art, and it reminded me of work by The Butcher. He also draws in alot of contrasting areas with lines in varying thickness. I'll do it on a separate layer so I can leave it out later for the painterly feel.

Yipes...I got all this free time and all I do is watch movies fiddle around. As of now I'm back on track. I've also have a 3d WIP I'm very eager to finish so I'll have to switch now and again. I'll be posting soon though. Off to bed now for me...just me and my cats...

I think I'll put the cat in only if I think my skills are up to the task Ajay1589, I've never done color before. It's quite a loomer.

niva
12-31-2004, 07:26 AM
Great job of getting a 3d look with simple lines and no shading, I'm impressed. Your post warned about nudity but there isn't any that I can see other then the suggestive pose. I want to see some color on this now, keep it up!

Ettubrute
12-31-2004, 10:09 AM
love the sketch, can't wait to see the coloring job. (i need to learn to color myself). keep it up =D

jmBoekestein
01-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys,

I put the warning in because people from all over the planet can wander in. I might offend somebody, you never know. Coloring is coming up this week!

Swoop
01-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Great work there.. is it from reference photo or imagination ?
Anyways i wanted to say she doesnt seem to be relaxed, being in an upright position on a bed.. relaxing would be more obvious if she was leaning against something i think :D

Anyways it looks pretty awsome i think, and im anxious to see the end result :D

jmBoekestein
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Good point!

I hope the lighting will show that she's having a quiet siesta or similar. But you guys seem to like it so I'm happy anyway. Thanks for the support guys. I didn't do any coloring sadly:sad: , because my 3d stuff really got on top of me! It's getting really difficult. And now I have to study for School tests.
:love: But studying about film and similars will probably get me all romantic again, maybe I'll paint to relax myself and get my mind of early 20th century film. That way she's still a relaxing female!

alastairwinter
01-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey Jm,

Quick C&C is that the lines look nice, clean and yet curved (I always liked doing just lines for images), but as for the composition/background etc, I'd say maybe instead of a table you could have her sitting on a ledge? Like a balcony with a pillar on her back. It didn't really catch till someone else brought it up that it's a little 'unrelaxed' looking in the terms of her body pose, but when you do look at it I think her leaning on something (which could easily be a mediterranean pillar or column - greekisch if you wanted like those flat ones you see in the Bourne Identity). That way if her back is leaning on something you don't even need the pillow but you could still have it because people do like sitting on those while on a cool ledge thing. Her legs would still work in that pose as well...

As for the background, a nighttime event would probably be cool, but it'd be cool if you did both (just change lighting) since it's an experiment in digital painting.

In any case man, good luck. It'll be sweet and I'll check back some other time to see if you started. Oh, and about shading/tones and all that, you can also just 'paint' in blocks of shades and values on a seperate layer and go from there.

Peace and good fun!:D

jmBoekestein
01-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks Alastairwinter,

Sounds like a good idea:thumbsup: , I'm also thinking a stone window frame, like the ones you see around walkways. White plaster with neat texture on it. Sounds like a good idea to do several lighting approaches. I think I'll try that.

I will have to take my time though, I'm currently quite preoccupied. But I'll start asap. Thanks for posting. I had the idea that this was silently sneaking into the background and I'd get away with not doing any work on it, alas. hahaha.:scream:

jmBoekestein
03-11-2005, 12:59 PM
OK, it's been a while... I have some time again, but ran into the problem that there's a lot more to colouring than I thought there would be. I need to get to grips with it a little bit more so I'm going to start a thread in which I'll be dabbling and doodling with colours. If I can get more to grips with then I'll finish her up.

Thanks for the support, not that I'm abandoning this one but I need more practice. If I don't finish this one properly and just F it up I'll be letting myself down.

digiscape
03-11-2005, 01:45 PM
i have loved your stuff since joining cg boards, used to just look at the 3D stuff but i can see your good 2d artist too :) love the way you help others on the forum too GJ jmB :)

you have a web site? if not u should :)

jmBoekestein
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks Digiscape,

that means a lot to me. And I am working on a website actually but it's not finished, won't be for a while I think. But I'll put up something temporary soon.

Thank you.:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.