PDA

View Full Version : How to render HDRI?

Nixgehtmehr
12-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Hello,

I'm playing with the foundation demo version and I tried to render with HDRI - but without success.

According to the XSI HDRI tutorial I tried this way:

I make a sphere and assign a constant material to it. Then I connect an image node (with HDRI files in .hdr format and spherical mapping) with the radiance slot of the constant material. Then I flip the polygons of the sphere. (I can see my HDRI texture into the editor, when I switch to textured view.)

Now I put my my model and camera into this sphere, switch on Final Gathering an render it.

But I don't get the HDRI lightning!
My scene is on iluminated by the color of the constant material. The HDRI in the radiance slot doesn't have any effect at all.

What is wrong?

EdHarriss
12-11-2004, 01:36 PM
- Try creating an Image Based Lighting pass instead. That might work for you.

gnz
12-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Ive been able to light my scene with hdri by assigning an environment shader to the default pass. I made my hdri in tiff and converted it to the .map format using the provided tool. You will still need a photon emitting light in the scene (it can be 0 intensity though)

Finkster
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
No need to plug the hdr image into incandescence slot, I think that you should be plugging it into colour instead. You may also find that it would be easier to use an environment shader within the pass settings. It will give much the same result, without having to mess with spheres or render trees.

Changeling
12-13-2004, 02:55 AM
as usual there are many ways to skin a cat... (sorry cats).

it depends whether you want to light a whole scene or just a single material... and even then there are many ways. XSIbase has a thread on just this topic (can't remember the exact thread, but search in HDRI should get you there).

If lighting the whole scene the simplest way (i think) is as follows:

selection>passes>default (double click)

add environment popup dialog and then assign to it an HDRI image.

make sure your scene light is set to almost 0. (there must be a light in the scene, but it doesn't matter where)

in render [region] option you can then turn on FG which I find gives very nice results... (you will then have to tweak your materials to make sure all looks ballanced).

good luck.

Atyss
12-15-2004, 04:19 AM
No need to plug the hdr image into incandescence slot, I think that you should be plugging it into colour instead.
You can skip the constant shader altogether. Plug the Image node directly into the Surface input.

Cheers
Bernard

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.