PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Bros. Level 1 (NES)

pureprplaya
12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey all, I did this on my spare time, only took me two or three hours total, to put together, i know it needs some work, a friend said I should fix the floor.

Things I know I should ad, clouds... enemies

Download the video here

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7djxy/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/movie_0004.avi

Please give suggestions and critiques... also any tips that may help

Thanksssssssssssss

nomadicrain
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
That is really cool man. Nice take on the NES Classic. Can't wait to see it with koopas and mario.

Suggestion:
There are a few places where there is a pit and a mountain and you can see that the mountain is floating in space. Maybe put a wall at the back of the pit so you can't see through. Just my 2 cents.

Can't wait to see the finished work.

pureprplaya
12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the inspiration... I get lazy with this stuff and often neglect projects midway through./.. like I said, I was working on a goomba last night, but it wasnt pretty

nomadicrain
12-10-2004, 09:23 PM
No prob man. Keep up the good work.

KevinKraeer
12-13-2004, 08:15 PM
This is neat. What are you planning to do with this?

It would be pretty dope to transition from 2d to 3d. I agree that it needs characters.

Are you using MAX or Maya or what? If you're using Maya, you can use trax editor to build 'clips' for mario: run, jump, die, etc. Then turn clips on and off while you translate him through the space.

I think you should stay with this, it's got potential.

pureprplaya
12-14-2004, 03:32 AM
Im sitting here stuck and dont know what else to do with this... as for yopur question im using max, my idea was to use an animated gif of the "old mario" and have the "old enemies" layed out as per the game... but i cant get gifs to animate in max :-(

psandenor
12-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Nice start on the project. The level works fine just as it is. But one thing that's looks misplaced is the lens flare from the sun.
I'm looking forward to se some character jumping around :)
Hope you find a way to solve your gif problem. I haven't anyone right now.

pureprplaya
12-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out how I could use the Gifs and after viewing the link you sent me (saw it this morning) im still stuck, I dont mind modeling these characters but rigging characters for animation is not my cup of tea...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...726#post1812726 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1812726#post1812726)

Im at work right now and I cant work on these projects from home.
If anyone wants a piece of the action in this animation let me know, im willing to work with you guys. and will give credit where credit is due

Im outta here

Richie

Alekto
12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
haha awsome.. waiting for the final

Pinet
12-17-2004, 08:18 AM
cant wait to see the minus world :P

Terkonn
12-20-2004, 05:11 AM
This is so cool! Reminds me of the good old days, I got a NES back in 1990 and I thought it was the best thing to ever come around.

Argodin
01-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd like to work with you on this.

ZeroDown
01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Ah, the good old days of the NES. ;)

I agree with the majority of the above that it looks neat and is a great idea, I have a few suggestions though:

The color and lighting doesn't really feel like the NES game. For instance the bricks on the NES are more brownish/orange.
The depth of the scene is probably a bit too much. I always thought Mario was walking on a bit more of a narrow ledge. Besides, who has even heard of a brick wall that wide? ;) I know you are trying to convey the 3D depth and feel, but a little bit more subtlety wouldn't hurt.
Also I agree with one of the posters above who suggested a wall in the pit-areas. (maybe some cool graffiti, like: "Wario was here"? ;))
Lose the lens flare, it has no use and it looks distracting.
These are, of course, suggestions. Overall I like the clip and I'm curious to see how this one evolves. Take care!

ZeroDown signing out...

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.