PDA

View Full Version : Facial Rig Technique Tut

rcronin
12-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey all,
I stumbled upon a cool basic technique while rigging my new character. Fast and easy way to either animate
like you would in 2d or claymation or just add another layer of control on top of your blend shapes.
If you are looking to loosen up your character's face or get away from linear blend shapes, try
out some Soft Modidfication.
check out
http://www.cronimation.com/SoftFace.html
Cheers!
Ryan
p.s. If you don't understand a step, drop me a line.

coop
12-15-2004, 06:39 PM
I was messing around with over the weekend - it's a ton of fun and really fast to set up.

the only thing i didn't like was not being able to have handles on the face I was animating, so I did some quick low tech hacks and came up with this. Forgive me if this is obvious, and feel free to kick in some more clever problem solving.

say you have a softmod you want control of named "S1"
make a control curve, say named F1
group it to itself. name it F1GRP

move F1GRP to where you want it. Parent or parent constrain it to the head.
use the connection editor to connect F1 to S1. for some reason constraints and other such trickery cause it to double deform. This doesn't factor in scale either, but hey, it's a quick low tech way of keeping control of your softmods, which is nice if you're layering it onto a face controlled with bones, blendshapes, lattices, clusters or all of the above, since it was too abstract for me to work on a head off to the side.

thanks again Ryan-

Coop

rcronin
12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
I completely agree with that fix. It's a simple solution, but the whole rig is based on simplicity. I was trying to dream up some sort of GUI window where the SM selection could be controlled by a 2d drawing but that's complicating things if you want to add or subtract an SM on the fly. For sure, it's better to have your controls on the rig itself.
Going with your idea, how about a MEL that creates the F1 node for you when you create an SM, then prompts you with a button to connect it's translations to the SM after you have positioned it correctly on the rig? ooooo, nasty MEL. As well, how about an attribute on the F1 that controls falloff so that you don't have to fish for the blend shape?
Thanks for the solution Coop!
R.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.