PDA

View Full Version : Importing .obj file from xfrog (need help)

Felipe
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
The current project Im working on requires a little forrest. After searching here and XSIbase for the best approach to do this Ive decided to d/l free 30 day trial version of xfrog 3.5.

So far Ive got nothing but an headache.

When I export, even the models that come with xfrog (I reduced the number of polygons in xfrog to something like 30k faces before exporting) as a .obj file, it takes almost 5 minutes to even load into XSI and when it does, XSI slows down so much that is impossible to use it.

I realized that if you import groups as clusters. Ive got like 3000 clusters cause each leaf have their own cluster. Importing groups as objects have the same effect cause I have 3000 objects instead. I guess this is the reason of the slowness Ive got in XSI.

Importing as a 3ds was not an option. I dont know why, but Ive never got the whole model imported, only part of it, even without reaching de 64k polygon limit of the 3ds format.

If you use XSI and xfrog, please tell me how you import xfrog models...

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance.

Felipe

EdHarriss
12-10-2004, 02:32 PM
- Import the obj with 3,000 clusters.
- Delete them all at once using the delete command and wildcard (*)
- Freeze the model.

Felipe
12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks Ed...

One more question, if I do so, will it keep textures and UV mapping intact ? How could I get the textures from the trunk/branches and leaves in different materials ?

Thx :)

EdHarriss
12-11-2004, 01:37 PM
- I doubt that it will keep them intact.
- You'll probably have to retexture the tree.
- Maybe there is a way to optimize the clusters for the leaves?

Felipe
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Thx Ed,

I gave up on xfrog. I found some free tree models in 3d cafe and I will be using them instead.

MANorth
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Felipe:

Sorry I didn't get this to you before you gave up. I've had good success using the "import as object" option. If you choose to group the objects as a model on import it all comes in very nicely, with each X-Frog level as an object inside the model, and the UVs are all intact. You do have to reassign the texture manually and make sure that the texture projection is set to wrap, but otherwise it's not hard at all.

Michael

tejl
12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi
Could you tell me exactly which option to tag exporting/importing? There are two options in Xfrog: "Col" or "MTL". And the XSI options as well.
thanks

MANorth
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I always choose the mtl option inthe XFrog dialogue, but I don't think it makes any difference because XSI doesn't use the mtl file. On import in XSI you want to choose "Import as objects" and "Model as Parent" and be sure that "Import UV" is checked. I also check "Import material" but, as I said, I don't think it does anything. In any case, you end up with a model with the various XFrog parts as objects, each with their own texture projection. Reassign the texture in each case and you've got a working tree, or whatever.

preludian
12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I wish Greenworks would stop only focussing on Cinema and support other SW too, once I used XFrog quite a lot, but now I prefer Pawel O's. Treedesigner and Leaf-Designer, very good lowpoly trees built of quads and very inexpensive too. Weight map included. Of course in some cases XFRog would be cool, but without the hassel of converting the stuff. I'm still waiting for a LW and XSI Version. But it seems that they have no interest, Maxon must have made a good contract with them http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif.

yog
12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I prefer Pawel O's. Treedesigner and Leaf-Designer, very good lowpoly trees built of quads and very inexpensive too. Weight map included. .I agree with the usefulness of Tree Designer. Worth keeping hold of a copy of LW just for this plug-in :)

Felipe
12-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Any chance to get it ported to XSI ?

Felipe
12-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi
Could you tell me exactly which option to tag exporting/importing? There are two options in Xfrog: "Col" or "MTL". And the XSI options as well.
thanks
XSI manual states support to the MTL extension, but as MANorth said, its never get the materials imported, at least from xfrog, so it really doesnt matter.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.