PDA

View Full Version : mirror geometry in maya

tims3d
12-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi guys I just finished modeling a human figure and I used mirror geometry to create the other half of the figure, now everything seems to be working great but I'm just wondering if there is any easier way I can go in and check see if all the vertexes in the cetnter are merged rather than go in and check each vertex seperately?

any help would be greatly appreciated

pollywoggles
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Maybe when you select all the vertices that run down the mirroring axis (to make sure that they're all perfectly lined up down the axis), you can also check how many vertices are there (through the heads up display, poly count)-- and after the mirror you can select the vertices along the axis again and make sure the number is still the same.

tims3d
12-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Maybe when you select all the vertices that run down the mirroring axis (to make sure that they're all perfectly lined up down the axis), you can also check how many vertices are there (through the heads up display, poly count)-- and after the mirror you can select the vertices along the axis again and make sure the number is still the same.
Thanks a lot for the help. I guess you can do that, but say if you check the poly count and it is different then you still need to go in check each one and see if they are the merged ones or not :sad: is there any other ways to do this?

monsoon3d
12-10-2004, 07:35 PM
thatīs easy. use wireframeshade and take the merge edge tool. edges that arenīt attached (unmerged vertices) will be shown bold and you can fix it immediately.

-t-

tims3d
12-10-2004, 07:39 PM
thatīs easy. use wireframeshade and take the merge edge tool. edges that arenīt attached (unmerged vertices) will be shown bold and you can fix it immediately.

-t-
thanks for the reply, yeah I also tried that as well but sometimes it can get very frustrated
as if you wireframe is really complicated, but I guess I will just have to live with it.

Thanks for the help

lyndon
12-11-2004, 12:01 AM
From the front you could click-drag the middle row where the "seam" is and go:
Edit Polys>Merge Vertices.

Putting the merge distance really low like 0.0010 will make sure that the vertices only weld to the onces they are directly sitting on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.