PDA

View Full Version : I continue with problems ussing external modeling workflow

juanjgon
12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I ask about issues of manage materials before, but now I want to know your oppinion about what is the best way to manage materials when you are ussing other modeler software.

I have this workflow ... i am now in project modeling with MODO, then export object to XSI with .obj file. Imagine now i have all material, textures, texture projections and supports, etc. Now i want to make a big changes in original model ussing MODO again. The question: How can i copy all materials, textures and texture supports from old model to new one?

I cant find a easy solution to this simple problem .... http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/embarassed.gif

Best regards,
Juan J. Gonzalez

Nocturn
12-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Does MODO support fbx format? If it does use that to export and import into XSI.

juanjgon
12-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi Nocturn ...

Hi have no problems importing model in XSI ... obj format works fine, but how i can copy all materials from old model to new one? This is the question ... anyway i can export fbx files from Lightwave, but problem is equal ... i have no idea about how to transfer all shader / textures / texture supports to new model.

Thank you anyway ... :)

RuiFeliciano
12-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Let me know if you make any progress...I also use Modo for modeling some stuff but once the model gets to the texturing phase I'll never export it back to Modo but rather do any further modifications on XSI itself.

StephanD
12-10-2004, 02:26 PM
If I understand correctly,you just need to load the obj in Modo,make your changes and load it back in to the original Xsi scene.

The question: How can i copy all materials, textures and texture supports from old model to new one?

If you export to obj,the texture projection is preserved on the mesh so you just need to re-apply the material once back in xsi.

Export from Softimage and make the change you need to in Modo,

In the original Xsi scene,keep the older unmodified model

Then it's just a matter of using the 'Assign material' command with nothing selected,you will then have to pick the object to copy the mat from and then next pick the one you want to put it on.

That's what I understand

juanjgon
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes StephanD, this is the idea ... but imagine that this object have 30 materials, with a lot of texture projections, not only UV information ... work to copy all this information from old model to new one could be so long ... i think that XSI must have a option to copy all shaders/projections/supports from one object to other, a option to save all this information to create a library and a option to save a shader with all texture projections, so when you load this shader, texture position, size, etc could be the same .... i know you can do all this now, but it is a complex and long process.

wurp
12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
May I ask why you are using modo for modeling instead of xsi? In my experiece its always best to do everything in the same program if you can, otherwise, as you just experienced you will end up spending a lot of time transfering stuff between the applications.

juanjgon
12-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi wurp ... all my commercial work is architecture and technical visualization, and i love how fast i can model with modo and LW modeler for this kind of projects ... modeling polygonal objects in XSI, where i need a lot of interactivity, boolenas, and so, make me go more slow, so this is why i want to import models into XSI. The workflow of modo is a lot faster for me in techincal modeling than XSI ... in polygonal models ... curve, nurbs and subdivision is other story ...

JDex
12-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Well it seems to me that the problem is that there is 30 materials on the object... this leads me to believe that you are using clusters to assign direct materials, and here in lies the root of your problem. There are many reasons to avoid cluster materials, and one of them is material management... create clusters and instead of using them as material assignments, use them as UV assignments and build a single material that holds all of your individual materials... then your problem is solved. Plus, if you are using partitions/passes with overrides as you move on to rendering, you'll have complete control, as opposed to the aggravations associated to cluster materials, which cannot be overridden.

Ablefish
12-11-2004, 02:21 PM
This is a complete 'aside', because I agree with Jdex's suggestion of using seperate geometry over multiple clusters - but I did want to point out that as far as I can tell, cluster materials do obey partition overrides now.

Another bonus to having seperate geometry is that you'd have to import/export fewer objects, so you have fewer materials to worry about. If they're architectural or technical models I would guess breaking up the model wouldn't be a big deal. 1 uv set is very easy for xsi's materials to handle. When they can't find the defined projection, they're supposed to use the top one in the stack. I converted a lot of models to XSI that were textured in LW with one projection. This made it very easy - all the texture files were mapped using the same single projection.

I don't know which program you're defining your uvs in - if it's just XSI, then I don't think there's going to be an automatic fix if you're taking geometry and adjusting the point count in Modo. Like I mentioned on the base, if your projections are simple and the modifications limited - you can might get away with use the Connect to Support to recreate the same projection.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.