PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and Chocolate Factory trailer

worker_bee
12-10-2004, 12:12 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/charlieandthechocolatefactory.html

Per-Anders
12-10-2004, 12:29 AM
ok... from being really excited about this movie, i think this has just completely turned me off the whole thing :(

Pete2003
12-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Woah.

That was the strangest thing I've seen in a long while. It kind of reminded me of Clockwork Orange in a weird way.

Intriguing...

Pete.

KolbyJukes
12-10-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't know how I feel after seeing that....

-K.

Larry_g1s
12-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Why? :shrug:
It doesn't seem to add anything. Same movie, different actors.

agreenster
12-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Yeah....same movie, different actors. I expected more from Tim Burton...

(still withholding judgement though because it WAS just a trailer)

Unled
12-10-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm feeling about the same way. It looks like exactly the same movie. It even had the 60's flavor.
I love Johnny Depp, but I'm not sure if he looks like a good Wonka or not. Perhaps Gene Wilder was TOO good.

JoeBananas
12-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Hmmm, not sure about that... and whats with that theme tune?

digitalshaman
12-10-2004, 12:51 AM
it's a bloody teaser trailer, give burton some credit!

BeckyWC
12-10-2004, 12:52 AM
When I heard that Johnny Depp was going to play Willy Wonka, I was excited. But after seeing this clip, I don't think I will be seeing the movie. I thought with a fresh approach they could really do something different with the movie and that is what I expected. I was really let down, unfortunately I believe a whole lot more will be after seeing that.

Seven
12-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Personally I thought that was great. Im going to be singing that song for weeks now :) Mr Depp just had a look in his eye and a grin on his face that just screams twisted. I loved the design and look of the trailer, just what CatCF should be like imo.

It has the same structure as the original CatCF of course, I wouldnt expect anything less.

Totally odd and freaky but totally great at the same time.

Cant wait to see more.

Sevv

BlueMouse
12-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure exactly what to make of this trailer.

I'm not entirely turned off by it but I found the music somewhat difficult to stomach. Perhaps it won't stand out as being so annoying within the context of the rest of the movie. I really enjoyed the trailer from a purely visual standpoint. I'm gonna wait and see what develops before I make any judgements.

mummey
12-10-2004, 01:41 AM
it's a bloody teaser trailer, give burton some credit!
Here! Here! :thumbsup:

DevilHacker
12-10-2004, 01:51 AM
It almost seems (IMO) that they are trying to hard to be funny... Maybe its just the music...
:shrug:

monkeysweat
12-10-2004, 03:44 AM
that was soo ridiculous that I somehow feel an undercurrent of malice and evil....

heavyness
12-10-2004, 04:00 AM
i'm thinking they are showing the funny, happy, bubbly parts of the movie. i'm sure there is a dark undertone in there.

not what i was picturing, and it was disturbing to a point [in a good way]

SGT.Squeaks
12-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Awesome, I think it's going to be great.

It's like a frenzy of insanity.

crazy3dman
12-10-2004, 04:59 AM
OK, it's only a trailer I know. But there was a lot in there that looked like the original movie. I've been hoping that it would be more of a new take on the book as opposed to a remake of the movie. Still hoping.

harlan_hill
12-10-2004, 05:11 AM
WoooooHoooo That looks FANTASTIC!!

KingMob
12-10-2004, 05:11 AM
i think it looks great... but I can see thsi as being one of those movies that will be divided by love and hate.

peanuckle
12-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Even if it is the same movie I will still love it! I think it will have a lot of different parts. There will be no way in hell I will be able to drag my lady into this movie. She hates Oompa Loompas they give her nightmares.

Tanner

harlan_hill
12-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Ya know, it's funny, as people seem to think it looks a lot like the original, but I couldn't stand the original. In fact, I found it to be so unpleasant that I've never watched it from start to finish, but the new Burtonized one looks great to me.

opus13
12-10-2004, 07:06 AM
gut reaction: peewee's playhouse and a dirty hypodermic needle.

monsterboy
12-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Burton could have injected some of his genuine dark imagination into this instead of revisiting the kitsch setting of the original, even Varuca Salt looked the same.Opting for a near identical remake just reiterates how imaginative the original was.

I fear for Burton it'll be another Mars Attacks, not another Big Fish.

s_ridenour
12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Burton could have injected some of his genuine dark imagination into this instead of revisiting the kitsch setting of the original, even Varuca Salt looked the same.Opting for a near identical remake just reiterates how imaginative the original was.

I fear for Burton it'll be another Mars Attacks, not another Big Fish.
It isn't a remake of the "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" movie.

It's another adaptation of the book, hence it using the book's title (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

slaughters
12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Yay !! The Oompa-loompa's are still orange !!

I'm glad they decided to stay away from the books description of them as being small black people whom Charlie mistakes as being made of chocolate.

Not everthing has to be bitter, dark and full of angst to be considered "good". This is not "Willy Wonka, Avenger of Evil", it's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

P.S. Loved the music in the trailer. Very Zany.

SneakyBiscuit
12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Its the MUSIC! Thats whats so damn horrible! It makes me want to punch my monitor.
And I agree with above, Gene Wilder was a kickass wonka, although he IS the only wonka
I've ever seen.

playmesumch00ns
12-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Yay !! The Oompa-loompa's are still orange !!
I'm glad they decided to stay away from the books description of them as being small black people whom Charlie mistakes as being made of chocolate.

No, they're being pretty true to the book. Don't know if they'll keep the line about smuggling them back in crates and half of them dying during the trip tho...

This film is going to be very cool. Looks totally different from the first version (well, about as different as you can get while still being true to the book), and I think they've got Roald Dahl's humour bang on.

Let's just pray they don't do anything like that bloody "pure imagination" song Gene Wilder sang in the first one.

paulrus
12-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Anyone else catch "Wonka" written in katakana in there?

I'm sure Burton will do an excellent job - it'll be something my kids can watch, but with another layer of humor that the adults will appreciate.

Paul

monsterboy
12-10-2004, 01:43 PM
It isn't a remake of the "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" movie.

It's another adaptation of the book, hence it using the book's title (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Yeah I know, but it seems to me that Burton instead of opting to tackle the new 'adaptation' from the source he's taken the movie as a base and started from there. As a result it looks like the first movie, with only minor aesthetic changes.

Velk
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has said anything about the tension in that trailer. The happy happy music and the slightly twisted/menecing looks on Wonka's face were quite a disturbing (and facinating) combination. I'm really looking forward to this and I expect that the trailer look a lot like the original movie to draw in people who wanted a remake to take their kids to. I'm guessing that the rest of the film will be a lot more like the book and less like the movie.

Pete2003
12-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Okay, I dont think Ive watched the trailer for any other film recently as many times as this one, so that can only be a good sign, or maybe I just can't get enough of that damn music
:)

And its true, some of Wonkas expressions are slightly chilling, especially frame by frame (shudder).

It was also quite funny seeing Depp do a classic Edward Scissorhands pose about 3/4 of the way through the trailer -Wonkas even holding a pair of scissors! :)

Pete.

slaughters
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
No, they're being pretty true to the book....I suggest you re-read the book: http://www.roalddahlfans.com/books/charoompa.php

Of course, it may depend on which version you originally read :)

danniesanchez
12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I agree Gene Wilder may have been Too good. i was too distracted by depps too perfect teeth. confusing, but i'll watch it anyway. The one thing striking is that everything looks too small. the enviroments. In the original, there was alot of open areas, real not special effects.

I'm looking forward to the movie

playmesumch00ns
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I think we're talking at cross-purposes. What I was saying is I think that in the film the oompas are dark-skinned pygmies. If you look at the other shots that show deep roy (the oompa), you can see the orange colour to his skin when he's playing the keyboard is just down to the lighting. Doesn't look like he's weraing any makeup.

Boxsmiley
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
What would be a total shock was if the Willy Wonka part was for only the first 30 min of the movie, to explain the beginnings, and then the rest of the movie is about Charlie and the Choclate factory, and his crazy adventures. Now that would be insane! :eek:

NSXbomb
12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
This is a new beast that will be nothing like the orginal movie. I'm sure you'll see common themes but Burton is going his own way and plaing the character od Wonka in a darker light.

The music has lots of tension, and yes I watched the trailer many times and even frame by framed it. Why? because there was a lot of interesting things to see.

I'll give it a chance but IMHO, the first one was beyond perfect, you just can't compare anything to it. So ... I won't

Per-Anders
12-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I rewatched the trailer, I watched it without sound (and that did make a huge improvement), and I even framed by framed it, but still I'm left with only the feeling of this is going to be another "The Cat in the Hat", so sorry no "underlying feeling of tension" there. Perhaps it's just a really really bad teaser trailer, a conglomorate of several ideas (that are fairly easy to understand if you pull it apart) that somehow got lost in the mix.

Stuff like this really makes me wonder what Americans actually think of Roald Dahl... perhaps it's a Brit thing only, maybe it's interpreted as and has to be "kooky" or "zany" for Americans (which would be just plain wrong) :/ or perhaps they can't take his deeply politically incorrect view of the universe and what children are capable of understanding and dealing with (and his particular take on the childs eye view of the world).

I've got deep misgivings about this one based on the teaser, but perhaps that will dispell with a decent trailer, so I'll wait till them before passing any further judgement.

slaughters
12-10-2004, 07:51 PM
...Stuff like this really makes me wonder what Americans actually think of Roald Dahl...Strange that you would think that Americans see Dahl as any different than anyone else. Burton is known for Weird and Zany, so I bet there will be an interesting combination of both in the movie.

playmesumch00ns - I did not notice if it (the oompa) was orange from the lighting or from make-up. I guess we might have to wait for some production stills, or for a different teaser to be sure.

Natethor
12-10-2004, 08:35 PM
I think a whole lot of Wilder,But Depp will be great as always.I will not count this out.But still hoped for a better trailer.Still i think it will be a very good movie when it is here.:thumbsup:

Capel
12-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah I know, but it seems to me that Burton instead of opting to tackle the new 'adaptation' from the source he's taken the movie as a base and started from there. As a result it looks like the first movie, with only minor aesthetic changes.
HOLY SH*T, DUDE! It's a freakin' TEASER... we don't know ANYTHING about the film yet, other than costume and set design. seriously, at least wait until the official trailer before you start making uneducated assumptions...

Virum
12-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Anybody else think Depp looked a bit like the queen...I mean King, of Pop? -_-

As a big fan of J. Depp and Burton, I was looking forward to this....

gmask
12-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll see this movie but this trailer only reminds me of how great the original was.. otherwise based on this trailer it's nothing ground breaking from an otherwise groundbreaking director such as Tim Burton.

Velk
12-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Anybody else think Depp looked a bit like the queen...I mean King, of Pop? -_- Absolutely! Especially with those big goggle things on, and the pursed lips.

monsterboy
12-11-2004, 12:47 AM
HOLY SH*T, DUDE! It's a freakin' TEASER... we don't know ANYTHING about the film yet, other than costume and set design. seriously, at least wait until the official trailer before you start making uneducated assumptions...
Well, there are many films where the teaser trailer can be misleading. I don't think this is one of them. The teaser establishes many crucial aspects of the whole film - Wonka's appearance and personality, the interior of the chocolate factory, the home life of Charlie, the various kids who find the Golden Tickets. So far there's nothing to convince me that Burton has taken a bold step in re-interpreting Dahls original novel. Instead from the teaser I think he's taken the safe route to ensure that he doesn't make the mistakes he made with POTA. At the end of the day, if this sucks and blows, at least he'll earn enough $$ to make another Big Fish in a couple of years time...

LaVolpe
12-11-2004, 01:08 AM
very interesting...

does anyone else think that Wilder's Wonka seems far more creepy and menacing precisely because he initially looks harmless? Only later do you realize he's rather batty, as opposed to Johnny's take, which is a more obvious way to go?

just a thought...

/waiting for next trailer...

RentaLLMay
12-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Anybody else think Depp looked a bit like the queen...I mean King, of Pop? -_-
hehe,
i thought he kinda looked more like the gay grandfather of Christopher Walken alias Max Zorin (who looked quite gay already) in "A View to a Kill"

;-)

Reepoman
12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I think Tim Burton would be chuffed if he read this forum, some people hate it some love it and the rest are WTF!!

The first time I watched it I thought it was crap. Then... the catchy theme tune started playing over and over in my head and I felt compelled to watch it over and over and now...I think it's going to be excellent!!

That's TIM BURTON for yah :)

Redz
12-12-2004, 06:40 PM
It reminds me of those stupid old navy commercials. I'll give it a chance, being that it is only a trailer, but it almost seems too zany for my tastes. We'll see when it comes out I guess.

Ryan-B
12-12-2004, 07:29 PM
The trailer looks like a Marilyn Manson or a Beck video. Kind of a boring choice for style.

Maybe it will contrast with Charlie's life before he tours the factory?

tevih
12-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Its the MUSIC! Thats whats so damn horrible! It makes me want to punch my monitor.
And I agree with above, Gene Wilder was a kickass wonka, although he IS the only wonka
I've ever seen.
My thoughts exactly! The music almost had me vomitting all over my desk! And Depp as a quirky crossdresser doesnt feel like Wonka to me... I love Burton, but..........

stunner
12-13-2004, 11:02 AM
ah it's remember the time when i was young ....(ok i'm not old yet i'm just 19)

Well i read this book when i was young, and i just love it. Tim burton and Johnny depp are genious so i'm very enthusiastic.

dotTom
12-13-2004, 11:37 AM
My thoughts exactly! The music almost had me vomitting all over my desk! And Depp as a quirky crossdresser doesnt feel like Wonka to me... I love Burton, but..........
Well some might say Depp has been cross dressing in a lot of Burton movies for years. I really like the tone of it.

oatz
12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
The striking thing to me was Wilder was aged--not old--but getting on in years and so the reason that he would want to pass it on was there. Depp as this younger Wonka looks like he's in his prime so the motivation to pass on the Factory is lost to me.

Edit -- Sorry, Wilder looked aged.

opus13
12-13-2004, 03:10 PM
gene wilder was 38 when he played willy wonka, and johnny depp is 41.

Hettinger
12-13-2004, 03:44 PM
I think it's a refeshing departure from the typical Burton flick, but I also hope that music isn't a part of it. Elfman! What have you done!

Hettinger
12-13-2004, 03:52 PM
...it also reminds me of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure a bit...

Crook
12-13-2004, 06:16 PM
I think the music is like drowning in chocolate. It's so happy and zingy that you just can't stand to listen to it for long. And depp looks like he's got a screw loose. I think I might enjoy this film, but I really hope Burton puts more menace and malice in it than I can stand. Dahl always went too far for adults where the kids thought it was great fun.

FlyByNight
12-14-2004, 02:19 AM
very interesting...

does anyone else think that Wilder's Wonka seems far more creepy and menacing precisely because he initially looks harmless? Only later do you realize he's rather batty, as opposed to Johnny's take, which is a more obvious way to go?

just a thought...

/waiting for next trailer...
YES. very mush so. initially in the movie, wilder seemed completely normal/sane, wateva u wana call it. And then he starts going crazy on the boat ride. woa. that WAS crazy. so u didnt no what to think!

The way that depp is just weird from the start ir very boring. iv alredy accpeted it NOW, without even seeing the movie.

Good point there sir...

playmesumch00ns
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but you haven't seen the movie have you? How can you make judgements on how Depp plays the characters over the course of the film having only seen a few seconds of his performance?

DarkTure
12-15-2004, 08:58 AM
I think it looks good, Depp seemed very scarey

stunner
12-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Damn ! i can't stop to watch the trailer, i just love it! Depp is the best...
And music, argh so , it's so funny ...

I can't wait july 2005... :bounce:

dfacto
12-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Gene Wilder was perfect. He was eccentric weird.

Depp looks creepy weird.

Aside from that I was never too hot on the book or the original movie, so I'm rather apathetic.

They better keep the Oompa Loompa song though. That was great.

assafk
12-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Personally, I think this movie just cant be bad. Its Burton + Depp! How could it be bad?!

Maybe the trailer is just misleading...?

I think that the horrible music makes kind of weird creepy feeling (in a weird creepy sort of way.)

Anyway, you just cant judge a movie by 0ne trailer...

SUB7NYC
12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Wasn't ruining planet of the Apes enough for Tim?

spudk
12-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Burton is overrated.

Depp is good but he looks almost monkey-like in the trailer, maybe to much bo-tox?

I think it is going to be bad, I'll catch it on video if I see it at all.

BoydLake
12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
I can't decide if that was really Johny Depp or Hillary Swank disguised as Johny Depp. Gave me the heebeejeebees. And that music SUCKED!

siouxfire
12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Wow. That looks great. I agree it's going to be a love it or hate it, but Burton did a good job with Roald Dahl's work in James & The Giant Peach. The screenwriter also did pretty well with "Big Fish" and "Go"... though he also did "Charlies Angels"... Still, can't wait to see it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.