PDA

View Full Version : MAKING OF 'RED MOON' - Svetlin Velinov

LisaT
12-09-2004, 11:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_12/svetlin_redmoon/redmoon_title.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2640)

It was one of the last days of the passing autumn. The early dawn brought the night and along with it came the moon, colored crimson red like a warm, beating heart a heart which soon would cease to beat. It was time to kill...

Fresh to CGNetworks, with its gritty and splashed textues reminiscent of a blood-spattered surface, Svetlin Velinov describes his approach to his aquarelle-style paintings in an article about 'Red Moon', his vibrant vision of a wanton murderess.

>>Read the article (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2640)<<

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_12/svetlin_redmoon/detail2.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2640)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2004_12/svetlin_redmoon/detail1.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2640)

ZMC
12-10-2004, 12:10 AM
Out standing Buddy
Texture :buttrock:

ryusen
12-10-2004, 12:30 AM
lisa, i love all your "The Making of.." articles.. really inspiring.. put some more.. :)

BlueD
12-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Sorry folks.. the artwork is great, but the "making of" is totally useless... what am I supposed to learn from this two pages?

If you feel that a making of can contribute to the community, then make it properly, show some more "intermediate" steps and go a little deeper in the process.

Don't take offence, it a constructive critique.

LisaT
12-10-2004, 03:06 AM
I agree with you BlueD, that the article is short. If I feel there is more to be written I always request the artist to write more. But in this case (and perhaps I'm wrong) it seemed complete though short.

Making-ofs aren't just there for you to learn step-by-step instructions to paint, but to share the artist's thinking process and show off the work in progress. Not every article will be useful for everyone... Just as not every post or plug applies to all members of the community... Regardless, some percentage of CGTalk readers will appreciate it and that's why we publish it.

Thanks for your feedback :)

haslingerDesign
12-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Sorry folks.. the artwork is great, but the "making of" is totally useless... what am I supposed to learn from this two pages?

If you feel that a making of can contribute to the community, then make it properly, show some more "intermediate" steps and go a little deeper in the process.

Don't take offence, it a constructive critique.

I feelt the same way. I think there could have been much more to post in this article, like for instance, all the scribbles leading to the final scetch. Nicolas Sparth Bouvier for example has postet some very useful pages showing his painting process.

But never the less, nice piece of work

Greets&Regards

]gRe[

BlueD
12-10-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't think that a complete step by step would be necessary, but a clear explanation of one of the many techniques the artist used in the painting would do.

How the artist achieved the "gold" effect of the robe?

Don't misunderstand me... It's great to share the "artistic" vision of an artist, but all the people that reads cgtalks are here to learn and to broaden his "toolkit" to express his or her feelings more effectively.

I REALLY appreciate your work, but I think that sometimes less is more. Less making of articles if necessary, but of better quality and size.

Robato
12-10-2004, 01:47 PM
How the artist achieved the "gold" effect of the robe?

Don't misunderstand me... It's great to share the "artistic" vision of an artist, but all the people that reads cgtalks are here to learn and to broaden his "toolkit" to express his or her feelings more effectively.
Its a drawing not 3d. There are no push this button, add this shader to get a "gold" effect. If you want to know how to draw the gold, you look at it, use your artistic eye and color a gradient of orange to yellow. Besides if he told you exactly which color he used (which by the way you could get by opening his file in photoshop and using the color picker eye drop tool) it wouldnt work well with another image that doesnt have a red background and red clothing.

I understand what you mean about wanting to know more....but when it comes to drawing, there are no magic buttons to change shaders, add caustics, reflections, or explosions.

His article told exactly how he works.....all you have to do is read the text under the bold words that say Sketches, Blocking, Main Painting & Details...

The only question that doesnt seem so obvious to me is how he did the splatter paint texture.....did he do it on paper, scan it and do a layer color overlay effect or did he use some brush in photoshop or painter? (which by the way isnt rocket science cause the splatter effect could be done by either way) Other than that, just look at the image and try to recreate it if you want to figure out how to make shadows or a "gold effect" cause what he did isnt going to work in every situation like a gold shader in max or maya.

Key points to drawing are using your eye. Its a real artists medium. There are no parlor tricks. You either can draw or you cant and you get the skill from practice and observation, not reading a step by step on how someone does a specific thing in a speciic drawing.

This boards 2d community is getting better, but it still amazes me that people could complain about an interview and ask for specific technique that is pretty much useless in any other drawing.
(this is not a flame, no question is stupid...however I feel there are plenty of point and click tutorials on this board and on the net and its nice to read the "artistic vision" as you put it. Granted its not the best interview on the board, its not crap either)

BlueD
12-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Its a drawing not 3d. There are no push this button, add this shader to get a "gold" effect. If you want to know how to draw the gold, you look at it, use your artistic eye and color a gradient of orange to yellow. Besides if he told you exactly which color he used (which by the way you could get by opening his file in photoshop and using the color picker eye drop tool) it wouldnt work well with another image that doesnt have a red background and red clothing.
I completely disagree with your point. It takes you 5 minutes watching a Ryan Church video to understand that THERE IS a technique to do shiny objects that is a lot different to the painting of matte objects.

Drawing and painting IS about technique like every other form of art, and a good master can tell you how to achieve a certain effect, based on hours of trials and errors. A master is this, at the en of a day, someone that has struggled hard to achieve something and full of desire to share with others his craft. I'm italian, the cultural history of my country is full of good examples: look at Cimabue and Giotto. They share a lot of common techniques, but Giotto built over the craft of his master to do something better. Why shouldn't I do the same?

Jameslsy
12-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Wicked stuff.. I love your work!

Thorlyn
12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
I was a bit dissapointed as well. I understand that you cant give a step by step, but at least a couple more pages would have been better. So he painted the background first to set the mood for the coloring of the character, Thats interesting, so was the signature thing. But those are only things that I got out of the aricle. Good stuff, just need more.

Spectacular work BTW.

Robato
12-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I completely disagree with your point. It takes you 5 minutes watching a Ryan Church video to understand that THERE IS a technique to do shiny objects that is a lot different to the painting of matte objects.

Drawing and painting IS about technique like every other form of art, and a good master can tell you how to achieve a certain effect, based on hours of trials and errors. A master is this, at the en of a day, someone that has struggled hard to achieve something and full of desire to share with others his craft. I'm italian, the cultural history of my country is full of good examples: look at Cimabue and Giotto. They share a lot of common techniques, but Giotto built over the craft of his master to do something better. Why shouldn't I do the same? I dont know how many masters you have listened to, but they will all say practice and observation is the key, not a specific technique or rule to paint a metalic object. They will all tell you what I did, there is no magic button, magic rule or magic filter to create a great painting. If you dont want to work on your observation instead of trying to learn a monkey see monkey do parlor trick, you are never going to be great at painting or drawing.

Even Ryan Church would say that metalic objects get their color from their surroundings because metal in essance gets its color from reflections. So the gold in this image gets its look from the red background and red clothing...so it works. Learning what he did for this specific drawing would get you no where unless you are planing on making your drawing a similar drawing with a red background with a character with red clothing.

If the guy who painted this told you exactly what he did to get his gold it wouldnt work for a blue background scene. So disagree, but if you stick with my advice and learn from observation instead of trying to learn a "neato" photoshop trick and you will become a better artist for it.

XYZRGB
12-10-2004, 11:43 PM
What a fantastic piece. :thumbsup:

Jordano
12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Nothing to add to Robert's comment! I am a professional artist and I teach people how to draw sometimes. What you guys ask is... to have a knowledge about painting and a specific technique which can not be described in a few pages article. Not to mention that some information for some artists can be a trade mark in their work. As I am not very happy to explain every detail of my work. Maybe, you should contact the artist and ask for some additional information. But I have to agree with Robert that most of the lessons in the art business are based on learning without asking questions.

Regards

J

yolk
12-11-2004, 04:20 AM
I like ,,, this is kind of I like !

Diode2
12-11-2004, 03:07 PM
so cool!~~~~~

Demalii
12-12-2004, 06:02 AM
that's hot!

whabababa
12-12-2004, 11:32 AM
shit.. this is really something outstanding.. really cool :D... love itt

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.