PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Texturing Competition.

dark_lotus
08-31-2002, 03:48 AM
NewTek, The Creators of LightWave 3D, is proud to announce The LightWave 3D Texture Challenge.

As many of you are aware of the power of LightWave's built in texturing abilities, we want to put your skills to the test. Using the Model provided below, use LightWave's Texturing features to fully texture the model without using image maps, and without altering the polygon count.

Submit an image and the source file to the contest forum and our panel of judges will decide who has the best texturing skills. The judges will use several standard lighting and render option setups, to determine the winner. One person will walk away the winner and the top three files will be made public so that the entire LightWave community can learn from their skills. The clock is ticking....So grab the file and start putting your creative talents to work.

May the best Texture Artist win!

http://www.lightwave3d.com/contests/sept-02/

proton
08-31-2002, 04:54 AM
this is going to be a great contest...find out more here:

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/30122.html?1030764987

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 05:19 AM
I'm really anxious to see what artists do with the tools native to LightWave.

This should be a great month!

~~Deuce

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 12:00 PM
I have some questions

You say only the standard features of LW can be used and you give four examples. Are those the only fours features that can be used or are those simply examples

Can you list all the default procedural maps as I have some tat are third party and I do not recall which ones are simply default

I hope you dont supply a object seperated lwo because I have already spent an hour seperating everything and I am not close to done

Will a scene be provided because if not I can stop now ... you know me and scenes

proton
08-31-2002, 03:11 PM
A new object will not be supplied.....have a look in the manual for defualt procedurals...and the scene will be supplied next week but this is all about the surface settings....nothing more nothing less...

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 03:14 PM
Bear in mind that you will be submitting ONLY the object. So anything that cannot be saved with the object can't be used.

Things such as displacement textures comes to mind.

~~Deuce

Kaiser_Sose
08-31-2002, 03:18 PM
You say only the standard features of LW can be used and you give four examples. Are those the only fours features that can be used or are those simply examples

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 03:21 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples -- use any texturing, surfacing tools NATIVE in LightWave that can be saved to the object.

Do you have a specific question about a given tool?

~~Deuce

proton
08-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Kaiser...those are just 4 examples...use what ever you like...but as Deuce says...you will be sending just the model...nothing else...So when they load the object in ....it has to be native to LW....if it starts looking for any extra file or plugin.....they will move on to the next entry...

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 04:21 PM
and you will be put in the "Hall of S H A M E"

hehehhee

~~Deuce

UnrealSnowman
08-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by proton
you will be sending just the model...

I guess this exclude the use of 'modeled' (model something and use the render as a map) texturemaps, right?

DigitalDeuce
08-31-2002, 04:26 PM
I guess this exclude the use of 'modeled' (model something and use the render as a map) texturemaps, right?

Correct --

As stated: You will be sending the model only. Nothing else. If it references anything else, texture maps, objects, nulls, etc. it will be passed on.

And you cannot change the polycount of the object either. It should be as downloaded, model wise.

~~Deuce

proton
08-31-2002, 11:12 PM
some interesting discussions about the contest here:

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/30122.html?1030831933

Kaiser_Sose
09-01-2002, 02:29 AM
I really have not done anything in layout before, ya, I know you can surface it in modeler but you have to render it in phases to see what it looks like

That siad, I am not familiar with all that ' saves with an object '

Shaders are welcome ...

This is more of a technichal quetion ... is there any place I can read [ besides the manual ] that goes into detail what does plaicing a ' T ' in the Color, Luminosty, Diffuse, Reflection ... you get the point produce differently

Meaning when would one want to put turbulance procedural in the diffuse as opposed to color channel

proton
09-01-2002, 04:24 AM
Kaiser-

You should track down Leigh's texturing tutorial that she has on her sight and she posted on these forums.....it will answer many if not all of your questions.....

DigitalDeuce
09-01-2002, 04:34 AM
Kaiser -

Definately look up surfacing and such here, as well as the other haunts for tutorials --

Flay and the NewTek site come to mind immediatly.

The main point is, dive in and have fun and learn!! Remember this too -- the winner's object will be available after the contest to learn from !!!

proton
09-01-2002, 04:39 AM
I tracked it down for you...prepare for some cool texturing knowledge from the master of textures:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/tutorials.htm

proton
09-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Deuce is right...well sorta.....

"One person will walk away the winner and the top three files will be made public so that the entire LightWave community can learn from their skills. "

so even better....you can learn from multiple files....this should be a great resource for the LW community! I'm very excited :bounce:

DigitalDeuce
09-01-2002, 04:43 AM
AHHHH !!

Way cool !!

top 3!!

Ok -- and Kaiser -- I want to see an entry from YOU

Like Nike says --

Just do it.

Kaiser_Sose
09-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by proton
I tracked it down for you...prepare for some cool texturing knowledge from the master of textures:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/tutorials.htm

I am reading it ... she talks extensively about maps but we can not use them

Shaders are welcome and so are object displacement

Also, what about installed reflectionmaps, for example, the gold preset calls a tga that installs with LW ... is this type of maps ok

proton
09-01-2002, 05:32 PM
nope.....no image maps are welcome....sorry! I'm glad I called this Texture Challenge :)

AAbel
09-01-2002, 06:14 PM
You still have expressions though.

DigitalDeuce
09-01-2002, 06:19 PM
Bear in mind, it's a still that we're going to be judging, not an animation --

Right William?

proton
09-01-2002, 06:21 PM
correct...the judges will load the object into there prelit scene and base thewinner off renders from that scene....they will also look closely at the setting sto make sure that the user followed the rules....

AAbel
09-01-2002, 06:36 PM
I'm not an LW user, so I don't know if LW allows this, but in my experience expressions aren't just for controlling things like translation and rotation over time, but more generally controlling one value over the change of another. Like for instance changing the turbulence of a fractal over U and V directions, or changing alpha blending based on surface tangency. What I am getting at is by using expressions with procedural textures you can write shaders, like in PRman and Mental Ray.

proton
09-01-2002, 09:33 PM
love the new avatar Deuce...it's cousin it....LOL!

DigitalDeuce
09-01-2002, 09:35 PM
It's more who I am.

:airguitar :buttrock:

PNelson
09-02-2002, 01:26 AM
It's cousin Deuce.. ;->

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

proton
09-02-2002, 02:51 AM
Wow....we have Philip Nelson on the forums tonight....very cool!

leigh
09-02-2002, 08:45 AM
Hey people :D
Yeah, although my tutorials are mostly focused on painting texture maps - the same theory applies!
Although I do still maintain that it's a lot more difficult to learn texturing theory through the exclusive use of procedurals, I'm sure that once you read through some articles and such, and understand what the different channels in the surface editor do, and what their relationships with each other are, then you should have no problems ;)

Good luck to everyone on the challenge - this is going to be great!

proton
09-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Eki has donated the PlugPak to all the Judges and to the 3 runner ups for the contest...Everybody should give a Big Thanks!

THANK YOU, EKI :)

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/

PNelson
09-03-2002, 01:08 AM
Eki's plugin pack is very cool.. If you haven't check it out.. Do so now!! ;>

Thanks for the support of the contest!

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

webfox
09-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Also, what about installed reflectionmaps, for example, the gold preset calls a tga that installs with LW ... is this type of maps ok

It says right on the link:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/contests/sept-02/

Procedural Textures, Vertex Color Maps, Gradients, and Weight Maps...

So, no. No texture maps that require an external file would be allowed - according to the posted rules of the site.

No IFFs, scans, or buts.

It's such a straightforward contest. Seems to be a LOT of posts... Oh wait... Cousin Deuce is a large portion of it. ;)

DigitalDeuce
09-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Cousin Deuce -- I like it.

:beer: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

proton
09-03-2002, 03:13 AM
yeah I thought it was straight forward as well...but u never know till you get it going....

proton
09-03-2002, 03:20 AM
some very cool wips for the contest.....

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/30122.html?1031013220

Kaiser_Sose
09-03-2002, 04:46 AM
Webfox, thanks for pointing out to me what WIlliam has allready

I did a gradient and used Incidence Angle. The eyes follow the camera.

This is ok for your personal renders but wont matter for the final contest because all entries will be judged from the same supplied scene

webfox
09-03-2002, 06:03 AM
Hey, no problem.

Kaiser_Sose
09-03-2002, 06:21 AM
Dood, if you got a problem with me, than take it up ... dont be frightened off :applause:

webfox
09-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Doody, no problem here. Relax.

:p

freemind77
09-03-2002, 02:02 PM
:thumbsup: I wish i could take place , but i couldn't because i am using maya ...shrug btw this is my 3 yrs old (procedural only) pic i did just for fun from procedural texturing and lil excercise too...just for remind all no GI times :)

proton
09-03-2002, 02:06 PM
you should get a copy of the LightWave Discovery Edition and give the contest a try

policarpo
09-03-2002, 05:46 PM
there's already some nice work being posted up at the newtek site. i think this is going to be a great thing.

:)

-policarpo

proton
09-04-2002, 04:29 AM
and it keeps getting better....can't wait to see what happens over the next few weeks...

leigh
09-04-2002, 08:41 AM
Wow, yeah the stuff being posted on the Lightwave site is awesome so far :D
I'd better get started soon too :surprised

proton
09-05-2002, 05:21 AM
yeah...you need to get on it....there is still enuff time for you to work on one...but there is never enuff tweaking time :)

proton
09-06-2002, 03:27 AM
We keep getting cool entries...but there is still time left for everyone to enter.....

Kaiser_Sose
09-06-2002, 07:04 AM
If I remember correctly you said that you were going to release the scene it was going to be judged in, has this been done

proton
09-06-2002, 03:58 PM
I'm waiting for the judges to send me the scene.....Go bug Kurt, Policarpo, and Deuce....:D

Kaiser_Sose
09-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Sorry to bug you

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 04:11 PM
bug bug bug

:wavey:

policarpo
09-06-2002, 04:18 PM
About that light setup.

After some thought and much debate, we've decided not to release a Light Setup for you to use, because we started to realize that your Light Setup was going to have a lot to do with your textures.

So...what you'll need to do, is just insure that your model looks good under most lighting situations.

So what does that mean?

Well, it means, focus on creating your textures so that the scene looks good in Default Lighting or GI.

If it turns out that there is a huge demand for the setup, we'll discuss it again...but for the time being...keep up the great work everyone.

-policarpo

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it might hinder some creativity -- just go with what you have. Seriously, it all is looking good.

proton
09-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Wow ...the judges are watching ur back.....very cool!

Kaiser_Sose
09-06-2002, 04:27 PM
The people posting WIPs obviously know how to setup a random scene to show off their textures ... what about those newer to layout that have not mastered this yet

If thats the case I will just use the three light setup file tutorial from earlier in the week

I have never used GI before so I can not set that up aswell

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Use anything that you want. Load in a scene that comes with LightWave, delete all objects, leaving the lights, and use that.

There are a few places to find scenes, like the one you mentioned, to get some light setups.

You'll do fine Kaiser_Sose.
I'm rooting for ya!

policarpo
09-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Cool.

That Light Setup Tutorial i wrote is a good place to really start pushing yourself to learn lighting.

If you have any questions about lighting and setup, don't hesitate to ask me. That's what I'm here for...to teach and also to learn.

:)

email me with your questions.

visual.design@policarpo.org

:D

MagnusL3D
09-07-2002, 06:41 PM
I'd just like to argue the point that not having a light scene could very well cripple the creativity since some effects do need extreme values which might not work with certain light types, a simple thing as if the light is a spot light or a area light could throw off all your difuse settings making a surface become alot brighter than expected and loosing much detail thats been put into the surface.

Just my 2 cents, whatever is decided will be the goal we work to anyhow :)

proton
09-07-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm sure the judges will make sure to tweak the scene to make your object look as good as possible....Kurt, Deuce, and Policarpo are all really great LW artists....Everyone's entry will be treated fairly....Have fun with it and let's see some WIPs. :bounce:

MagnusL3D
09-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Im not thinking they (the judges) will treat anyones entry bad either, just shared my opinion that diffrent lightning can result in very diffrent results, specially if its spot or area light :)

And I know they are very competent people, Deuce I know a bit over the net and hes a lightwave guru to say the least, always having a answer for your questions he should get paid for just beeing who he his

:thumbsup:

Anyhow I just love this competition :)

I'll post a WiP somewhere somehow soon, perhaps here?

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
:blush:

Oh heck Magnus.

:blush:

Post that sucker !!!
:buttrock: :buttrock:

MagnusL3D
09-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Deuce, I didnt know flamethrowing men from texas blushed ..hehe..

And heres the post then... (jpg compression to 3 for file size restrictions, aouch)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.