PDA

View Full Version : my showreel

JeT
12-09-2004, 08:31 PM
hi guys and girls, if you have the patience and time (not many of us do) can you take a look at my showreel i have just finished putting together? it is in the gallery section of my unfinished website.

it is a 21.5 meg download - 2.5 minutes - quicktime

http://student.ci.qut.edu.au/~n4698312/web_folio/

my name is joe and im an animation student at qut university about to embark on 3rd year. previously at qantm institute and now working at qantm institute, this is my 3rd animating year. i can feel the glee.

thank you!

BadgerSundae
12-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Joe,

I just finished watching your animation reel and had a few comments. You have quite an array of unique character designs in your source material, although some are more compelling than others. The synchronization between the cinematography and the soundtrack worked well for the most part, as well. I liked the bug with glowing eyes and the silhouetted monster that captures him, and would have liked to see more of them.

There are a few sections of the reel that seem like they could be improved, however. The brown character running away from the light in the tunnel needs the most work, in my opinion. He doesn't appear to be in contact with the ground when he stands up or is running. Further, his run cycle looks like it's too slow for the speed of the camera move.

The more violent segments involving the flat-shaded characters work better in some places than others. At the beginning, some of the cuts and camera work make it difficult to tell what's going on. Shots later in the reel, like the one in which the vaguely human character has his arm pulled off, are better established. I feel like I have enough context to appreciate the action, there.

Hope some of this helps.

JeT
12-10-2004, 04:28 AM
thank you mturner1030,

"The brown character running away from the light in the tunnel needs the most work" - i cant really fix that (this is work from 2 years ago and im not sure where the files are!) so i might speed it up or something next time i get a chance

"At the beginning, some of the cuts and camera work make it difficult to tell what's going on." - ahh this is true; the flat shaded characters are from a 5 minute animation i did that went for far too long, i guess ive seen it too many times. i will try and establish whats going on a bit better for this early segment.

thank you very much for your comments they are much appreciated.

Matty2Phatty
12-12-2004, 06:51 AM
Some of the characters made me smile, i found them interesting :D I agree with the creature running down the tunnel, i noticed immediately that he was too slow for the speed of the scene. It is a shame that can't be fixed anymore, but i know what it's like to not know where the files are anymore.

I think as a whole the video went for too long, but each individual part was cut too quickly to get a feel for what it was.

The other thing too.. the movements seemed a little jerky in places, was this done on purpose? it gave it a very stop-motion type feel.

I think apart from that, i didn't mind it :D

Collember
12-13-2004, 12:42 PM
JeT: im from Brissy too, i knew a few friends that recently did a games or multimedia course at qantm, did u ever meet Matt Corrington, or Tomas Price? :D

nice work :)

JeT
12-14-2004, 05:18 AM
thanks Matty2Phatty,

"video went for too long, but each individual part was cut too quickly" - yeah, i suppose - I suppose also ive seen this stuff far too many times and am so used to it i can watch it easily - but the starting segment could use some better introduction

"the movements seemed a little jerky in places, was this done on purpose? it gave it a very stop-motion type feel" - well, im still growing as an animator, so some of the movements are quite sloppy. But so far I like them!

Hi Collember,

"JeT: im from Brissy too, i knew a few friends that recently did a games or multimedia course at qantm, did u ever meet Matt Corrington, or Tomas Price?" - yes, i did. hmm i know tom, but matt im having difficulty putting names to faces.. i think i know who you are talking about though - made some mech animation recently with rockets and explosions and stuff.

Thank you kindly for your feedback!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.