PDA

View Full Version : instancing syflex cloths with particles ?

seb4d
12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi !

Here is my problem. I animated a flying ribbon with syflex (I'm using XSI 4.0.) using a wind force and a pin constraint on several points to animate the translation of the ribbon. The ribbon is animated like an eel.
Now I am happy with the animation/simulation, I need to multiply the ribbon to get hundreds of it, of course each ribbon should have a different animation... and I'm stuck here.

How would you do that ? I thought about particles instancing but I don't think it is possible.
Any help or hint would be much appreciated !
Thanks in advance.:)

madDave
12-11-2004, 03:54 PM
You might want to post in the syflex forum also, there some to be a number fo great minds there.

suntemple
12-12-2004, 03:43 AM
One option could be to render out several versions of the ribbon being animated differnently (saved to file format that has alpha info) then generate paticles and use those animated sequences as sprites in your particle simulation. You can emit several different clouds from one particle emiter. The sprites could even have shadows if needed.

Would be interested in hearing how you finally solve this hitch.
JAS.

Ablefish
12-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Here's one idea off the top of my head...

Create a long simulation, much longer than you'll need.

Make your ribbon
Plot the Shape (Animation->Tools->Plot->Shape)
This will give you a shape clip.
Duplicate the clip in the mixer. Reverse the clip.
Blend one into the other to create a loopable clip.
Freeze this out to a new clip.

Now export your model with this animation as a model.
In a new scene, import your model as a reference model however many times.
Then somehow stagger the looped clip for each reference model so they're not all going at the same pattern.

I haven't tried this, so I might be talking out of my ass, but maybe it'll lead to some workflow you can use. Good luck.

seb4d
12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
It seems like a good solution Ablefish !
Very interesting method for making loopable animation, I've never thought about that ! :thumbsup:

I'll give it a try, thank you very much !

suntemple : I thought about that too, but the result was not convincing, looked to much 2D... thanks

seb4d
12-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Ablefish I've done what you advised me and it works very well, exactly what I needed and easy to set up !

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Ablefish
12-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Heh cool... wasn't sure it would work. Cheers! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.