PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with XSI (3d tutorial)

loopdreamz
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey folks.

I'm thinking of buying some of 3D Tutorial's videos and was just wondering if the new 'Getting started with XSI' would be ideal for me. I'm probably between beginner to intermedite in XSI, and the video sounds really good. Thing is, it mentions that it's ideal for the Maya use making the transition to XSI, I'm not really a Maya user, so do you think it will appeal to people who have come from different backgrounds?

Cheeers.

paulrus
12-09-2004, 05:42 PM
I just started watching this series this morning.

I'm a LW user so I was also a bit nervous that it would be too Maya-XSI specific. IT'S NOT.
He will mention things like the render tree is like hypershade in Maya, but it's really not too distracting from what you're learning.

I watched about 45 minutes this morning and I have to say it is absolutely fantastic. The tutorials are broken up in to small 6-10 minute segments, so you can jump around if you already know something.

A couple people had complained about the licensing of it, but it's really not a big deal. You email support your hardware ID and they email you back a key. With the amount of piracy on the net I can't blame them for wanting to protect their assets.

I was pretty disappointed with the DVDs that came with Foundation. They felt like someone had just recorded SIGGRAPH demos and threw them together without much of a plan. This tutorial is VERY well thought out, organized and easy to follow.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!

Paul

loopdreamz
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help, paulrus, just what I wanted to hear. I watched the tryout up on their site and the maya specifics did seem to be a fair balancem which is fine by me. I can understand their problems withg piracy too, so that'll be cool.

Well, it looks like I'll have many hours of studying once I buy this, can't wait.

Cheers.

Rabid pitbull
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I am also a lw user, and can say that this tutorial set is excellent for anyone wanting to get a handle on xsi quickly. These lessons are very well developed and provide great tips to understand how xsi works. I have not gotten through them all but so far they go at a good pace with lots of detail. Ablefish is the author of these lessons and he is a frequent visitor to these forums daily I suspect. Definitly get these lessons.

Ablefish
12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Just a word of explanation about the heavy Maya flavor of it, guys. Over a year ago, when Joe first approached me, many of the new XSI users were established Maya users (myself included). Since that time XSI has matured and soft has introduced a lot of very accessible options (Foundation, HL2 EXP, Student version) which has broadened the base. These days on CGTalk for example, it seems like most of the new users have LW or Max backgrounds for whatever reason.

Anyways, over the course of creating the lessons it became obvious that while I was making references to Maya features in most lessons, the lessons were still just about teaching XSI's way of doing thing- Something that any user new to the software could take advantage of. So when it came time to market the product, we changed the name to simply "Getting Started In XSI", because Hey, that's what it was all about.

Paulrus, Rabid Pitbull: I'm glad that you've enjoyed them despite the Maya references. Hope they took a big chunk out of the learning curve.

And Paulrus, I'm not sure if you're referring to the Princples of XSI dvd, or the Production DVDs that came with Foundation... I think the Princples of XSI dvd is primarily what you said - a collection of feature demos - but the Production DVDs have a LOT of great information. I'll admit they might be a little heavy when you're first starting, but they're great for people trying to master the areas that they do cover. I've learned a lot from them myself.

loopdreamz
12-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies. XSI has been pretty logical for me so far, and works the way my brain does, but I can always do with reading, watching how others more experienced in it can impart info.
Me personally, I come from a Soft 3D/Max/LW background, but XSI is such a huge leap forwards that I'm just gonna grab as much training material as possible.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.