PDA

View Full Version : IK spline - HELP

manwithagun
12-09-2004, 08:26 AM
hey everyone, heres my problem.

when i lay down an IK spline onto a joint chain the spline will cause the joints chain to straighten a little resulting in loss of bind pose and moving the connecting rig.

The only way it will add the IK spline without causeing problems is if the auto simplify curve is off - but that causes there to be to many CV's for practical animating.

I have tried all options in the menu, restoring default and re-installing maya, and it still causes problems.

Any thoughts on the issue would be a big help.

jab
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
unfortunately there is not a way around this as when maya simplifies a curve to have less cvs, part of the curve shape will always be changed. I tend to make a duplicate chain in the original position and put it on a template layer, then I add the spline to the original chain and manipulate the cvs until I get as close as possible to the original.

hope this helps

seven6ty
12-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah, or just use the one with auto simplify off, and then create a few clusters of various CV's, and then parent those to a locator or control curve.

tfall
12-14-2004, 10:24 PM
There are three ways to fix this.

1. If you want to use auto-simplify, then increase the number of spans till there are enough cv's to accurately follow the curves of the joints.

2. Create your own curve that follows the joints, then turn off create curve.

3. Straighten the joints a little for the binding, then animate into the desired position.

- Terry

anthonymcgrath
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
bear in mind even if you draw your own curve to input into your splineIK your still gonna get a shift - make sure the curve you draw is LINEAR and use snap to point to put a curve point on each joint. When you create the splineIK you should get no shift :D

I'm still not sure whether or not I like the splineIK - just cant seem to get a good hip setup with it!

seven6ty
12-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Why would you ever want to use a spline IK setup on your hip???

anthonymcgrath
12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
any other suggestions from using the splineIK? I generally find it pretty good but a good tutorial to useful spine setup that allows me to shift the hip seperately would be cool

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.