PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP x64 Release Candidate 1 is out and runs great!

dotTom
12-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Just dual booted my dual-proc 3.6GHz Nocona with Windows XP x64 Release Candidate 1 (build 3790). Install was real smooth and once I got to the desktop Device Manager had installed everything except my Audigy II (come on Creative - get those drivers out). Never mind, the on board audio installed. More importantly, it had correctly detected and installed my ATI X800 XT. Groovy.

If you're interested pop along to http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com, register and download.

All I need now is for Alias to release a 64 bit build of Maya...

Fahad
12-09-2004, 09:50 AM
ok i've been led to this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

then, when i click on Get the Download (http://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp64/handoff.asp?id=dl) it just loads a blank page.

:shrug:

medusaman
12-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I have just ordered parts to build a new PC using AMD 64 CPU so was wondering which version of windows to install.

Are you saying that Maya does not run under Windows 64? If so what else is compatible?

Do i go with XP pro or dual boot like you?

Fahad
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
never mind, i think it's working now ... lets see

MukMan
12-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Will it recognize my sata hdd like it's supposed to?

and install next to my suse linux without trouble?

I tried the win64 beta before, and it didn't think I had a hard drive in my computer, and then when I put in an older ide hdd, it had some critical failure after formatting the drive.

dotTom
12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
I have just ordered parts to build a new PC using AMD 64 CPU so was wondering which version of windows to install.

Are you saying that Maya does not run under Windows 64? If so what else is compatible?

Do i go with XP pro or dual boot like you?
I can't comment if todays 32 bit Win32 build of Maya runs OK under WOW64 since my copy of Maya Complete uses a hardware key rather than the MAC address and at this point there are no 64 bit HASP drivers for said key.

I could try installing Maya Learning Edition tonight if you're interested.

The cool thing is that unlike WOW64 on IA64 (Itanium) machines, WOW64 on x64 hardware (AMD64 and Intel EM64T) gives you full hardware excelleration for Direct X 7, 8 and 9. I'm not sure if the same is true for OpenGL. Does anyone know if OpenGL is hardware excellerated under WOW64/x64?

dotTom
12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Will it recognize my sata hdd like it's supposed to?

and install next to my suse linux without trouble?

I tried the win64 beta before, and it didn't think I had a hard drive in my computer, and then when I put in an older ide hdd, it had some critical failure after formatting the drive.
OK so this is just one persons experience. With past betas of Windows x64 I've had to install extra SATA drivers during the blue screen portion of the install. To be fair I was using prototype Nocona boxes from Intel, with a DELL Precision 470 it just works.

Fahad
12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
ok, i've downloaded the ISO and burned it on a CD.

I restarted the PC and booted from the CD ... then it said something along these lines:

"... needs a 64-bit processor ... please use a 32-bit operating system ... "

I've got a Pentium 4 3.6 Prescott, which is EM64T, meaning that it supposedly supports windows x64 according to thier site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support

perhaps something in the bios needs to be altered?

dotTom
12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
perhaps something in the bios needs to be altered?
Assuming you've actually checked the revision number for your P4 against Intel's web site then yes, I'd say the BIOS needs flashing.

leas5040
12-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Any glaring errors so far besides driver support? Any speedup or slowdown in widely used programs?

dotTom
12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Any glaring errors so far besides driver support? Any speedup or slowdown in widely used programs?So far, no, its a shed load faster than the betas - but then you'd expect that. A lot of OEMs are still sitting on their drivers until the thing is released. Overall it goes like a thunderbolt on my workstation. It's boring in exactly the right way, i.e. it's XP but it's 64 bit and it just works.

One thing worth remember is that although it's "Windows XP x64 Service Pack 1" this is *not* the same as Service Pack 1 for 32 bit XP. XP x64 SP 1 includes things like the security center. Also, significant, is that the XP x64 code line is actually built on the Windows Server 2003 code line. '2003 is a lot cleaner, robust and secure than the old 32 bit XP code line. As an end user you shouldn't care about this - but it's an interesting engineering factoid for those who like to know their OSs.

leas5040
12-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Good. It seems that they have greatly improved over the betas. Hopefully I can get the full version through the ACM when it comes out. I was really interested and impressed by what I heard of WOW64, glad to see that everything is running smoothly.

jcbray
12-11-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm running the latest Beta aswell - but I'm not that impressed... I ran a couple tests -

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34237

My posts are under the user "colin lynch" anyways, in testing both the game, and a video render, I saw beter performance under Xp pro (32 bit). However, brash, the other person who tested the gae, saw the 64-bit as being better off.

Could someone see my first post, and see if there is anything wrong with my set up??

OH! and I'm sure I've seen before, an option to change the amount of time to choose an OS at bootup, but now I can't find the darned place - anyone know where i can change this? or did i just imagine this?

funbags
12-11-2004, 04:35 AM
I think I will wait for the following reasons:

I've never been to comfertable with beta software.

I'm paranoid of massive hardware failure (Oh yes, its happened. :(!!!$URIWOEFUJDS Die western digital. Your hard drive took about key models with it when it died.)

Apparently, it isn't recognizing the audigy 2's, and I have one.

Although I'm running a 64 3800, I shall still wait for a better version

Hazdaz
12-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Seems to me like there is some promising developments with this new 64-bit version of Windows. I mean not so much for me, since I am running dual XEONs, but none the less, still good news. If I was in the market for a new PC, I would definitly be picking an Athlon 64 versus anything that Intel has our right now.

Can't wait for the file release of Win64 to see what it can really do.

dotTom
12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm running the latest Beta aswell - but I'm not that impressed... I ran a couple tests -

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34237

My posts are under the user "colin lynch" anyways, in testing both the game, and a video render, I saw beter performance under Xp pro (32 bit). However, brash, the other person who tested the gae, saw the 64-bit as being better off.

Could someone see my first post, and see if there is anything wrong with my set up??

OH! and I'm sure I've seen before, an option to change the amount of time to choose an OS at bootup, but now I can't find the darned place - anyone know where i can change this? or did i just imagine this?
This is not the beta, this is the first Release Candidate.

jcbray
12-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Eh, it's just another name for an incomplete version of the software

dotTom
12-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Eh, it's just another name for an incomplete version of the software
Actually there is a massive difference. Trust me on this. I've been installing every build I can get my hands on (like a lot of folks here I guess, I'm on the Microsoft TAP program for this). The driver database in RC1 is considerably better than the last beta - and proper drivers do a lot for stability as I'm sure you'll know. Also, being RCx, it's feature complete, unlike the betas.

Look I know it's not gone gold, I know what "RC" means (it means don't put it on your production box), but as someone who's using this stuff in-anger on a daily basis with >4GB of RAM I can tell you that RC1 probably is worth your time if you have a spare AMD64 or EM64T box around the place. It's a bloody good build.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.