PDA

View Full Version : nvidia or ati for xsi 4

bale
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
hello,
I have a radeon 9700 pro and all the drivers i try to intstall won't work with it...anyways i was thinking about getting another graphics card for xsi 4. I have problems selecting faces(polygons) it doesn't select it or select ones i don't want. I was thinking about buying an nvidia 6800 gt. I've read on this forum and xsibase with all the ati cards problems does nvidia have these problems too? any help would be appreciated. thanks

R10k
12-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Have you considered purchasing a certified 3D card for XSI?

I run an FX5600, and have the odd quirk here and there, but otherwise everything runs pretty much as it should.

Rabid pitbull
12-09-2004, 03:59 AM
I have always had good luck with nvidia cards, used only two with xsi though. Both the fx5900xt and 6800 worked fine in xsi 4 foundation. Never had any redraw or clipping problems at all.

RuiFeliciano
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm using an old Radeon 9500 pro without any problems...the gotcha is in the drivers. I had to install the SoftFireGL drivers, look them up on Google.

pierre
12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
om my box i'm running XSI 4 with an old geforce 4 4400 ...with out any problem... i got good performace.... on my box the last nvdia driver 6693 work better that old 40.72 (with mod softquadro) ....

cya! Pierre

StefanA
12-09-2004, 11:00 AM
some people manage to run ATI cards with XSI, though they are very few... So far I've had no problems at all with nVidia cards, but all ATI cards I've tested have been crap (with xsi that is).

regards
stefan andersson

Don Pedro
12-09-2004, 01:38 PM
hmm...

Don't seem to be one right answer.

No problems with my ATI 9800 pro (my desktop) or 9600 pro (test laptop)... and I'm using "default" drivers.

3dtutorial
12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, you should stick to using graphics cards and drivers that have been CERTIFIED by Softimage only -- otherwise you risk problems.

That said, I've been runing XSI on non-certified nvidia cards for ages without any problems.

However...IMHO I would AVOID ATI cards at all possible costs (unless it is an ATI card/Driver that has been certified). I have had nothing but problems with XSI and ATI cards and if you search this forum and others you will soon see that this is also the case with many other people too.

So, use ATI at your own risk....

Cheers,

Joe

MR BINK
12-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I have a ati 9800 pro at work and my XSI 4 crashes a couple of times a day.......

I'm sure ati's are great for playing games 3d on the other hand.....................

MJV
12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm using a FireGL3100. XSI crashes sometimes, but whose to say it has anything to do with the video card?

XSI Certified graphics cards (http://www.softimage.com/partners/xsi/Hardware_Partners/Hardware_Cert/windows_xp_v3.htm)

Look how old most of the cards on that list are. Doesn't seem like they keep it very updated.

ntmonkey
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
ACtually, there is a right answer. Get the ones that SI recommends. If you're doing modeling and animation, not much real-time shading, then most anything will suffice if you can fudge it for stability. If you're planning to do serious 3D, invest in a good pro card like nVidia's Quadro family. 3D applications will always develop with these guys in mind so you can bet that your card will be compatible throughout the development cycle and the updates. Nothing stinks more than having some cool shader that won't display on your computer. In the long run, you'll be better off.

peace,

Lu

SovereignKnight
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Nothing at all wrong with ATI. Running XSI 4 on an ATI 9600XT and never had even the smallest problem.

Oh by the way, ran both Doom 3 and HL2 with all the bells and whistles and no problems there either. ATI is absolutely fine for anything.

bale
12-09-2004, 09:26 PM
I've been doing some research and it seems like the ati radeon 9700 pro has the most troubles with xsi and even maya. I've changed drivers and pretty much did everything except mod it.
Since I'm on a budget and after buying foundation I can only afford game cards. Softimage tech service even helped me and told me i'd be better off with the nvidia card. I like my ati card but i want to put a demo out with xsi so i guess i'll go plunk some money down for a geforce 6800 gt

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.