PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds - Teaser Trailer

ChewyPixels
12-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Will be up Friday! Here's the announcement:

"Building on the intense level of interest and enthusiasm across the internet, Paramount Pictures will unveil the highly anticipated teaser trailer for Steven Spielberg's contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells' classic War of the Worlds exclusively on the web Friday morning, December 10, 2004.
The film opens across the globe on June 29, 2005.

To view the teaser trailer, visit the film's official site at http://www.WarOfTheWorlds.com (http://www.waroftheworlds.com/).

Next summer, the earth goes to war. From Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures comes the motion picture event of the year: Steven Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, starring international superstar Tom Cruise. A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells's groundbreaking science fiction classic, War of the Worlds is the ultimate sci-fi adventure thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it.

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures present an Amblin Entertainment/Cruise/Wagner Production of a Steven Spielberg Film, Tom Cruise stars in War of the Worlds. The film also stars Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin and Tim Robbins. Paula Wagner is the executive producer. The film is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Based on the novel by H.G. Wells, the screenplay is by David Koepp. War of the Worlds is directed by Steven Spielberg.

Visit the official site at http://www.WarOfTheWorlds.com (http://www.waroftheworlds.com/)"

KevinKraeer
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

DePingus
12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
You tease us! :rolleyes:

KevinKraeer
12-08-2004, 08:27 PM
You tease us! :rolleyes:
Heh, I know. I clicked all over the place but nothing happened except the registration thing.

EvilGnome
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Would have been nice to have set it in it's original late 19th early 20th century era. We've already had the modern/USA retelling in 'Independence Day'.... even down to the aliens being defeated by a "virus"!

The 'family perspective' might be nice except we've already seen that in 'Signs'.

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

ScribbleHEAD
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I just hope the ending is somewhat reminiscent of the novel's ending...

There's no doubt spielberg will do the original story justice though.

xs1
12-08-2004, 11:52 PM
sorry but i dont see any link to the teaser on the site...

???

malducin
12-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Keyword here is FRIDAY morning.

gmiller8
12-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Tom Cruise Steven Speilberg. There is no way this will be a bad movie, but then again "Eyes Wide Shut" was made by Stanly Cupric and Tom Cruise. We will just have to see how this one turns out.

Dr Dardis
12-09-2004, 12:48 AM
hmmm, don't know about that statement gmiller8.:rolleyes:

I don't know, I love the old Richard Burton reading, and the whole turn of the last century thing. The whole modern day, american family thing sounds... drab. And starring Tom "Warm as Ice" Cruise. I know that he's the producer, but still...

I figure if I feel dissapointed by the blurb alone, I am not getting my hopes up...

The Doc.

tazy7
12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
im so happy about a war of the worlds film im listening to the musical version atm :bounce:

somewhat related over here in the uk we have a 3d comic called striker that used to be in the sun newspaper thats now a weekly magazine. as a result of the film being made they have just secured the rights to produce a comic series next summer to coincide with the film. it would seem that war of the worlds is going to be pretty big and hopefully they do a good job of the book and not change to much. what will be intresting is whether the film is going to be in england like the book and music version and set in victorian england, i can honestly say i doubt that will be the case instead the film will be a typical hollywood hash up of a british book/theme.

any way bring on next year :thumbsup:

ScribbleHEAD
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
im so happy about a war of the worlds film im listening to the musical version atm :bounce:

somewhat related over here in the uk we have a 3d comic called striker that used to be in the sun newspaper thats now a weekly magazine. as a result of the film being made they have just secured the rights to produce a comic series next summer to coincide with the film. it would seem that war of the worlds is going to be pretty big and hopefully they do a good job of the book and not change to much. what will be intresting is whether the film is going to be in england like the book and music version and set in victorian england, i can honestly say i doubt that will be the case instead the film will be a typical hollywood hash up of a british book/theme.

any way bring on next year :thumbsup:
Hmm might aswell be blunt and tell ya the truth right here and now - so far the websites that deal with supplying the news about the movie is saying it won't take place in victorian england.

So far from looking at various pre-views of the movie and on-set pictures it'll take place in suburban america - present day....really i think the only things that the movie will have truely in common with the book, is the title.

tazy7
12-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Hmm might aswell be blunt and tell ya the truth right here and now - so far the websites that deal with supplying the news about the movie is saying it won't take place in victorian england.

So far from looking at various pre-views of the movie and on-set pictures it'll take place in suburban america - present day....really i think the only things that the movie will have truely in common with the book, is the title.it doesnt to suprise me that a: its present day and b: suburban america, my only question would be what was Mars Attacks for if not a war of the worlds present day suburban american and a small sense of humour version? i do feel that the reason why the book works so much is because of when it was set and the lack of peoples understanding (my god if you think about indepdance day is a near modern copy of war of the worlds, how did they finish the aliens in that film lets think ... a computer virus, in the words of Scotty Evil " RIP OFF!! "

now do i sound like a fan boy ???? anyway even if its no where close to the book ill watch it any way its done by Speilberg, he cant go to wrong .... HURRY UP TOMORROW :bounce:

mushroomgod
12-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Im not so worryed about it not being set in england, but more worred thats its being set in modern times....like the original film and the crap tv show.

that said, im a big fan of Spielberg...so lets hope its a good film and not a crappy patriotic pile of crap like ID4.

Morganism
12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I was really hoping it would be set in the '30s

tazy7
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
the book is set in victorian times after all HG Wells was born in the 19th century and about 20mins from where i live too, the radio broadcast was a rewritten version for the american market, making it take place in new jersey and in the 30s

FANBOY FANBOY LALALALA lol

CArnold03
12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Well, let's face facts, War of the Worlds is adapted to usually take place in the era that the audience is in. I mean, it's supposed to happen in the now, not later, or back then. That said, I think each rendition of the story has it's charm, except for the later episodes of tv series. When they brought in a second alien invasion and pretty much established that no one even remembered the first outside of the military and science community, you know that's gonna be a bad for business.

Anyway, let's just hope this one is decent and hits hard. Tom Cruise doesn't sign up to work on shit stories, so I'm expecting to be decently entertained.

StephanD
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Spielberg making Wells' War of the world,Screenplay David Koepp starring Tom Cruise?I doubt this movie will suck.

Als
12-09-2004, 05:19 PM
In order to have impact that this can happen today to US,
is were part of the strenght of the story is.
No meter how developed technology we have, there might be someone above, who can threaten US.
I hope that story is not about fear like in paranoid 50's style, and it want go to xenophobia,
or just horror of some martians invaders. I hope it's not gonna be anything like Indepen. Day, since that was horible, gung-ho movie, with message - let's build more nukes...
This is my main expectation from the movie. I hope it's gonna explore the stupidity of building more and more weapons, and show the horror of war and losing.
This should be about how important hope is.
I'm certain visually it will be a feast, as well as great action movie.

Al

EvilGnome
12-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Hope isn't lost for those of us who would prefer the original setting and story... frm Cinescape.com:

While much of the attention focused on a film adaptation of H.G. Wells' THE WAR OF THE WORLDS has been concentrated this week on the unveiling of the Paramount Pictures teaser trailer (slated for tomorrow), the indie film production company Pendragon Pictures has been working hard on their own version of the classic science fiction tale. Pendragon's movie, titled H.G. WELLS' THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, is set in the late 19th century as was Wells' novel, and this week the production is wrapping up its miniature photography. The attacks brought on by the Martian war machines are being created by a combination of both miniatures and computer graphics imagery (CGI).

"It's an exciting time," states director Timothy Hines about the milestone, "as we are bringing to life, one of the most fantasized about creations of Wells' imagination."

Pendragon states that the nine-foot tall Martian war machine miniatures were created by a team lead by miniature effects artist Michael Fransen. In the movie the fighting machines will appear as tentacled, ten-story high, three-legged walking machines that shoot poison gas and wield a heat-ray weapon, just as they are described in Wells' novel. On the opposing side of the war, the humans will be fighting back using period human artillery from that era. Sounds like a lopsided fight, but that's part of the fun of Wells' story.

Once the minature work is complete the production will move into editing, compositing and scoring of the film. Pendragon also informs us that their first theatrical trailer will be ready around the end of the month, meaning that there will be a double dose of WAR OF THE WORLDS to look forward to in December.

malducin
12-10-2004, 05:52 AM
Well not all hope is lost after all many classic stories have been reset to different times with varying degrees of success. One example that comes to mind is Shakespeare: Branagh's Hamlet, Richard III, 10 Things I Hate About You, Romeo + Juliet and even Forbidden Planet. Though I do admit part of the charm is the setting of the novel. But if they keep the core and essence of the novel, it'll be more than enough.

worker_bee
12-10-2004, 07:11 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

EpShot
12-10-2004, 07:27 AM
Sweet!

I hadn't realized it would be set in modern times.
Finaly, a good alien invasion movie(all others i would only place in the 'amusing' catagory)

mmkelly011881
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Nice Font

as for the rest of the trailer... i dunno.. i like the beginning

perhaps they could have started the people coming outside their homes a little more personally... say, for example somebody is going upstairs to bed and their house shakes a bit or their lights flicker and THEN they notice what is going on outside.

im a little skeptical about the fact that they are definitely using their name power to excite ppl about the movie

also ppl staring up at the sky seemed a little "bluescreenish" with the lighting... it felt very much like i was "on set"

worker_bee
12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Nice Font

also ppl staring up at the sky seemed a little "bluescreenish" with the lighting... it felt very much like i was "on set"

Well just keep in mind in trailers like this coming out this early most of the fx shots are just temps. Remember how bad the Hulk trailer looked then the movie came out.... :wip:
ok so thats a bad example, but you get the point. :thumbsup:

brisck1
12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
I dont like the way they changed the text from the introduction. In my opinion the original was much more menacing, but then again this movie is so loosly based on the original novel that it doesnt really matter anymore

Fred Heys
12-10-2004, 10:05 AM
oh, this has the potential of being awful........cruise, give me a break, why does spielberg choose to work with this guy? lets just remind the public that the world is involved in this bad-boy by showing a bunch of amazing landmarks....then of course all the action will be in the classic hicksville, i hope they dont destroy a classic.........didnt we just have ID4, WOW on speed...and will smith!

tragic i say

Smeggy
12-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I have to admit to being very worried that Staven Spielberg will turn this into something too sappy for words. I know America likes happy endings and syrupy storylines but this is not what War of the Worlds is about. Ton Cruise.. eeh, not too horrendous, but I doubt Spielberg will be able to contain himself. He has proven almost completely incapable of making films without resorting to schlock and sap.. two ingredients that would positively ruin this film for me.

Dark, forboding and miserable is what this film needs. Oh, and a good dose of deep despair and hopelessness. I feel the ending should reflect relief and a lifted weight, not hope and the "human spirit"

Blech!

Anything else would be counter to the book.

percydaman
12-10-2004, 01:28 PM
while I didn't care for the trailer much, Ill pretty much give the benefit of the doubt to speilberg and cruise. We'll just have to see.

Als
12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
I agree that there have to be dose of hopelessness and despair, but why do you think there is the character of artillery man? He still dreams of humanity comeback... He still hopes.
Even if he is crazy or not, there is still some feeling of hope.

danniesanchez
12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
i kept waiting to see the spaceship come through the clouds. What a TEASE.

SheepFactory
12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
i cant wait to see this movie.

jake_$teed
12-10-2004, 05:55 PM
The book being my favorite ever, they get huge points for opening with Wells' own words from the prologue of the book. And the final scene rings very true to the book (despite era), with the martians assembling thier war machines just over the hiils of town.

That said, it did exactly what a good teaser should do. Even I kept going "come on, show a walker, come on....d'oh", and I'm glad they didn't. Just goes to show what a bunch of 2nd Unit Photography and some temp F/X can do.

Can't wait. Though seeing Dakota Fanning with such a high billing makes me hope Speilberg dosen't reuse his Jurrasic Park trick of putting kids in jeopardy to raise tension, when anybody who's ever seen a movie knows they won't even get a scratch. (though that family in the trailer did get obliterated nicely)

slaughters
12-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Strange, I remember the book ending on an uplifting note.

I can see why it was updated for present times though. After all, Wells wrote it for *his* present time. The idea is to engross the audience in the concept that this could happen at anytime - to them!

But, if they had placed it in the Victorian era they could have had so much fun with the special FX, especially if it was some slightly distorted, alternative history version of the Victorian era.

DAZZAN
12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Can anyone tell whats wrong with this trailer......its a big gapeing hole that should have made it so cool........

No........

Well (s) ...heee...heee...ok,watch the trailer again and listen very carefully to the words,the just as he says "draw their plans against us"......

Cue up the music of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.....

The tingles should start to climb from the bottom to the top of your spines.

They missed a great selling point that even Mr J Williams will have trouble beating that stunner of an intro........

If you dont know what im talking about......your missing out

harlan_hill
12-10-2004, 08:15 PM
This looks F'in Fantastic!!

Weeeeee... I can't wait

unclebob
12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
GAWD I really dislike tom cruise but I guess I'll suffer his pathetic acting to see this... it looks cool.

neomato
12-11-2004, 01:21 AM
My god that's unispired... they could have done so much more with the whole art direction, give it some personality. It's full of stereotyped images and sounds. Spielberg's lost it in my opinion a long time ago, his JP days are long gone. Let's hope the movie will be nothing like the teaser.

Tetra84
12-11-2004, 03:00 AM
I think this movie will be awsome, then we have Indy 4 next :)

tjabba
12-11-2004, 04:02 AM
I mean, it's supposed to happen in the now, not later, or back then.
Nah, this is like changing the time period of 'Titanic' to 2005. Blech.

dazzan: Yeah, they should have used Jeff Wayne's music, or at least part of it, and let John Williams re-arrange and fill in the blanks. Big missed opportunity. The period and the music, two mistakes that will help secure this movie's place in the Mediocrity Hall of Fame.

malducin
12-11-2004, 04:35 AM
My god that's unispired... they could have done so much more with the whole art direction, give it some personality. It's full of stereotyped images and sounds. ... Let's hope the movie will be nothing like the teaser.
Considering most of what was shown in the trailer is not in the film I don't think anyone can draw extensive conclusions about it. It's just to "tease".

Spielberg's lost it in my opinion a long time ago, his JP days are long gone.
Depends what you mean and considering some of the films he has done since JP, it hasn't been bad.

Nah, this is like changing the time period of 'Titanic' to 2005. Blech.
Not at all since the Titanic is an historical event, hence the need to make any depiction into that period. On the other hand The War of the Worlds is a piece of fiction, and is quite common to adapt and alter those set to other "times", like the Shakespeare adaptations I mentioned. I fail to see how that and not using a little piece of music qualifies as mediocrity.

im a little skeptical about the fact that they are definitely using their name power to excite ppl about the movie
ahem, a lot (maybe most) Hollywood movies are promoted that way, nothing strange there.

Remember how bad the Hulk trailer looked then the movie came out.... ok so thats a bad example, but you get the point.
Actually that's a great example. Remeber the first Hulk teaser with the eye, and the side of the house breaking off? Done specifically for the trailer and not part of the movie. And of course then we had Universal butcher the Superbowl trailer, speeding up shots and using shots not even half done, some which were pretty much redone for the film. Trailers are never a way to judge the final quality of a film. (we could probably all think about good movies with terrible trailers just as well as bad films that had excellent trailers).

tjabba
12-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Not at all since the Titanic is an historical event,Well then let me use a different example. Imagine the first or third Indiana Jones movies remade set in 2005, just so it can feel more 'immediate' and 'now'. Some things work better in certain timeperiods, and WOW is one of those things, imo.
It's been already been modernized many times. Orson Wells brought it into the 30's. Hollywood brought it into the 50's, more than once I think, not to mention ID4 and Mars Attacks. But I've only seen 1 remake placing it in its proper period, a tv-series on english tv long time ago. And now this independent production that was mentioned. (Wouldn't it be ironic if that one turned out better than Spielbergs.)

Take the Thunderchild sequence for instance, setting it today they can't use it, nothing even remotely like it. This is one of the most memorable scenes from the book, would make for interesting, unique visuals... it's also important to the plot - mankinds last hope, personified in a single beautiful ship of war in a suicide attack, heat-ray melting it red-hot, going down in flames and steam...
also the hero's girlfriend making it out of there just in the nick of time, because of this valiant sacrifice. How they're going to re-write that? F16's attacking the invaders with missiles?
If you're going to remake a classic, the least you can do is try to respect the original writing a little.

malducin
12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Some things work better in certain timeperiods, and WOW is one of those things, imo.
I actually would agree with you, that in most cases keeping the setting is what makes many stories work. But I don't accept the hard line that it should never be done. It depends on the adaptation, the director, if it keeps the core of the story. If this was being directed by Paul WS Anderson or McG I would definately be worried.

Do you think Kurosawa's Ran is bad just because of the fact it takes place in feudal Japan instead of England? Going the opposiye way, is The Magnificent Seven crap because it's not set in feudal Japan with Samurai? Is the second version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers bad because it doesn't deal much with the "Red menace"? What about John Carpenter's The Thing, or The Fly with Jeff Goldblum?

Spielberg is a good stroyteller and I think he will convey what the movie was about, even if the setting is different.

Smeggy
12-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Spielberg is a good stroyteller and I think he will convey what the movie was about, even if the setting is different.
He may be a good storyteller if you like overt sentimental drivel. WOW deserves better. Tom Cruise lacks the gravitas necessary to pull off any kind of leading role in such a story unless he plays the nutty Artilleryman (though even Brad Pitt could do that much better) and, like others, I suspect he'll pull off another idiotic JP children thing. Feelgood factor, tear jerking and all the other SS trademarks will be in full force and although It will make shedloads of cash I doubt it'll ever be a classic worthy of the title.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm sure I'll still watch it whatever.

Just my humble :p opinion.

Coolrider64n
12-11-2004, 06:13 PM
wow. This movie seems really nice. Its a must see.

DAZZAN
12-11-2004, 07:56 PM
This is Mr Spielbergs WOtW Team
Janusz Kaminski, production designer Rick Carter, editor Michael Kahn and ILM's visual effects supervisor Dennis Muren.

Mr Spielberg should at least command some respect from some members of the cg talkers,out of any director past and present he has notched up more diversity in making popular films makeing profit....the bottom line in any studio!....also when it comes to cg.......oh forget it, if you are going to call the guy a bad filmmaker ..and say in my humble opinion i think the guy stinks..but i i hope im proved wrong....!

Jesus....at 23 the guy made Jaws.......and please state what you guys have done please!

Smeggy
12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
He's not a bad filmmaker, he's had some stunning achievements over the years and I do respect his achievments greatly, I simply don't like his sentimentalist way of making certain films. I own Jaws, all 3 JP's Close encounters, raiders 1,2&3, Private Ryan, 1941 and others. I didn't say he's crap I said he makes a lot of sentimental drivel, which some see as heartwarming and uplifting.. I said I suspect he will introduce a lot of those elements and that's where I hope I'm wrong.

It's all subjective, hence *MY OPINION*. You disagree, that's your opinion.

DAZZAN
12-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Hmmmmnn...not a bad filmmaker...oky dokey,and you got ermmm a lot of his films...
Just my thoughts...opinions .....whatever..!

WillRyan
12-11-2004, 09:08 PM
I agree with you on some points, Smeggy. I think after the one-two punch of Schindler's List and the first Jurassic Park, Spielberg has been extremely hit and miss. I'd probably rate Catch Me If You Can as his only recent film on par with his earlier classics like Indy, E.T., the Color Purple, and Close Encounters. That's not to say his other movies were turkeys: I certainly enjoyed A.I. and the Lost World, and I was as moved as anyone by the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. I'd love to see him challenge himself and work outside of the safety net of his well-established style.

I used to get so excited whenever a new Spielberg movie was announced, but now I have a moment of hesitation. And I get what you're saying about the sappiness, and the overused trick of putting kids in harrowing situations for cheap tension. That gymnastics scene in Lost World completely killed the movie for all of my friends. I always lose the argument on how good LW is 'cos of that one scene. I hated that kid with a Jar-Jar like Vengeance for a long time!

Smeggy
12-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Exactely, he makes a perfectely good film and throws some cheap shot in there and *poof* the suspence is lost. Private Ryan was great... right up to the point where we cut to the visit to the cemetary, I nearly barfed.

DAZZAN
12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
You nearly barfed ? You mean while the veteran next to me in the cinema started to weep......i guess sentmentality means many things.......you barf....he cries!

Yeah...yeah.....in your humble opinion....

Smeggy
12-11-2004, 09:33 PM
You're so full of it. It was a clumsy heavy handed way of doing it.

DAZZAN
12-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Im not gonna waste my 50th post on this waste of Spa......AWWWWWWWWWWWWW...AAAAAAAAAAA
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaWWWWWW.....SHHHi....

DirtySkillet
12-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Cruise and Speilberg together made Minority Report such an awsome movie. Lets see if its cool again.

The trailers was a little wierd, not what I was expecting. I was thinking it was gonna be really cool and twisted, but I guess not.

slaughters
12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
You're so full of it. It was a clumsy heavy handed way of doing it.I just guesss you are just someone who dislikes strong displays of emotions other than fear/rage/humor. At least you are upfront about what you dislike in a movie.

specialbrew
12-12-2004, 03:34 PM
One thing I don't quite understand is the audacious suggestion that John Williams should somehow pay homage to Jeff Wayne - let's be clear now, the musical version of WOTW was pretty grim stuff and only really memorable for the interior art. Perhaps everyone should remind themselves that Mr. Williams was the man responsible for CE3K, Raiders, Empire etc. and really doesn't need to crib from a bit of cringeworthy 70s concept-album slush.

More seriously, I'll be interested what the art department do with the Martian war machines, bearing in mind that Kevin O'Neill achieved near perfection for the second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic book series...

Pete2003
12-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I think Spielberg is quite 'hit-and-miss' when it comes to sentimentality. The obvious example is the closing scenes of AI, with the mother-son reunion thing. I'm a fan of darker endings in movies (dont ask me why, maybe because there are so few of them), and thought AI could have ended with the boy looking at the 'Blue Fairy' in the water, or at least just after the 'higher beings' find him.

Even Minority Report ended with that 'nice' scene of them in that little cute cottage on the hill which seemed a tad twee. Don't get me wrong I thought both of these movies were great, I thought (unlike some people) that AI was a fitting tribute to Kubrick, especially in the symmetrical framing of those dining table shots.

On the other hand, when Spielberg gets the sentimentality right, he can really inject that 'movie magic'. Examples are ET (many scenes in the hospital, the end sequence etc), Jaws (remember the part where the boy copies his dads movements at the dinner table) and more recently Catch Me If You Can which I really havent seen enough but there was the whole desperation of Di Caprios character wanting to make his dad proud of him.

...And I can understand both sides of the argument regarding Saving Private Ryan, but Im gonna sit on the fence on that one :)

Pete.

WillRyan
12-12-2004, 05:08 PM
I was ruined on Saving Private Ryan because I waited to see it until after I saw The Thin Red Line, which I thought had a much more thought-provoking angle on WW2. In retrospect, I probably haven't given Spielberg's movie enough credit, but I've always felt like it turned into a John Wayne movie after the first 20 minutes were over. A staggeringly, amazingly shot and edited adventure movie set during WW2. I'm all for celebrating our soldiers heroism, but Terrence Malick's film questioned why they had to be put in that situation in the first place. I guess it's really apples and oranges.

I think with time, Spielberg's technical filmmaking skills have sharpened, while has wittiness, sarcasm, and edge have been dulled a bit. At least he's out there making films tho, unlike most of his contemporaries. I always wonder what film would be like if Coppola and Lucas would have maintained the pace Spielberg has set for himself.

malducin
12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Personally I like Saving Private Ryan, including the bookends which frames the story to our times. Especially since the "sentimentalism" shown has also been shown in real doumentaries and interviews with veterans at the cemetary, Pearl Harbor and other places. I agree the comparisson betwen it and Thin Red Line (which are like) is a bit disparate. Kinda comparing The Godfather with Goodfellas.

Though I think some of the films are taken too superficially. As far as Minority Report I think it's brilliant because it's even more subtle on the ambiguity of what really happened (similar to Total Recall). Some people think it's just a happy ending but the key is when Cruise's character is put in the containment hall, the keeper (Tim Blake Nelson) mentions that while no one knows what happens the prisoners probably dream that their lives turn all right. Which is what actually happens so in the end after the cabin shot it could be Cruise is still in prison dreaming.

AI is even more interesting. For one thing that whole ending was conceived by Kubrick, so charges of being tacked on by Spielberg are totally unfounded. Second it's very sad and depresing which is fitting. Humanity and life on the planet is wiped out. Does the kid robot grow beyond his programming? Now, he gets his satisfaction for just one more day before shutting down, he is totally blindsided and doesn't really grow. All for naught.

Pyke
12-12-2004, 07:15 PM
I loved the teaser. I did everything a teaser should do. Infact, if this were a trailer, and we didnt see any more till the final movie, I would be more than happy. I hate it when trailers feel the need too tell the entire story.

As for Spielburg, he is an exceptional director, and no matter what some people say, he WILL go down in history as on of the best-if not the best-film director of all time.

As for AI's ending-I think alot of people miss the point that the beings at the end of the movie arent aliens...they are what the robots evolved into...

Viridian
12-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I have been a fan of H. G. Wells since I first read The War of the Worlds (at age 8). Since then I've read 4 copies of the book to pieces. I've very nearly memorized most major chapters.

Since 1991, as CG came into it's own, I have feverently wished for a WotW movie. The technology was finally there... it could be done properly. But I find I dread this version greatly. Oh, I'll go see it. But I really get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear of the changes being made.

I realize some changes have to be made. A movie is, after all, not a book (especially a book written in the 1890's). I understood and (after a time) embraced the changes made by Jeff Wayne for his musical version (like the Journalist's wife being present upon the steamer instead of his brother).

But I fear that, in this drastic temporal change to present day suberbia, Mr. Spielberg missed the moral of the WotW. The theme of the story is the arrogance of Man, and his complete hopelessness in the face of a vastly superior enemy. Save for the very last chapter, it was a story of the end of mankind. Even the last chapter held a warning that human beings might have won only a temporary reprieve from their fate.

I fail to see how this can be done as well when set in modern times. If the Martians must have such an overwhelming advantage while humanity is at present-day technology levels, surely the Martians would become almost god-like? With the technology to erradicate humans without risking a single fighting machine?

Don't get me wrong; I think Spielberg is a masterful director. I think Cruise is an excellent actor. But these changes they have made cause me to wonder if they missed the point (or actually read the book). So far the project smacks of a remake of the 60's movie version. (Oh the pain...)

Ah well, I guess we'll see. I'm very glad others have taken on the challenge of creating the story in its unaltered form. It is an incredible tale and deserves to be introduced to a wider audience.

Just my two cents...

Dr Dardis
12-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Can anyone tell whats wrong with this trailer......its a big gapeing hole that should have made it so cool........

No........

Well (s) ...heee...heee...ok,watch the trailer again and listen very carefully to the words,the just as he says "draw their plans against us"......

They missed a great selling point that even Mr J Williams will have trouble beating that stunner of an intro........

10 points my man!! I agree totally!

Divideby0
12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
But I fear that, in this drastic temporal change to present day suberbia, Mr. Spielberg missed the moral of the WotW. The theme of the story is the arrogance of Man, and his complete hopelessness in the face of a vastly superior enemy. Save for the very last chapter, it was a story of the end of mankind. Even the last chapter held a warning that human beings might have won only a temporary reprieve from their fate.

The VO from the trailer was putting man in a position to fall from. I think Spielberg will follow true to that theme in the book.

I wonder...Will the martians use airships like the first movie, or will Spielberg use the tripods from the book? If you think about existing warfare, air-superiority works at first, but you can't really conquor unless you use land forces. I hope he uses the tripods.

Karlstok
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Just love that teaser,it did it's job.Im a great fan of the original,and i totally look forward to this.On top of that Spielberg has always been one of my favorites in basically anything he touches,this to me is a cant miss,at least a real fun and interesting time will be had if nothing else.Really cant wait for it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Viridian
12-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Divideby0
I wonder...Will the martians use airships like the first movie, or will Spielberg use the tripods from the book? If you think about existing warfare, air-superiority works at first, but you can't really conquor unless you use land forces. I hope he uses the tripods. Exactly my point. With the current compliment of high-tech fighters and tanks (not to mention the nuclear stockpile), would tripod fighting machines not be easily vanquished? Even supposing they utilized shielding technology (oh lord, say it isn't so...), you could always vaporise the very ground they walk upon.

Given the implied technological edge, why would the Martians even resort to fighting machines? Or even ariel combat?

If their technology is superior to our present day level, certainly they could gas the planet with the Black Dust via interplanetary missile. We approach that level of destruction ourselves. Even simpler to bombard most of civilization from orbit (but not all; the martians require some stock for their new food source).

As I said; I don't see how Mr. Spielberg's approach will function (let alone actually work out better than the unaltered book version). It seems to me the only method in which this would work is to simply make the Martians quite stupid (i.e., Independence Day).

It's all so problematic. These changes, which seem quite simple on the surface, cause great alterations to the fabric of the story. For example; the nature of the clash between the Thunder Child and the Fighting Machines would (if common sense is brought into play) be vastly different in this new setting. These days we fire ICBM's from great distances...

The original scene no longer works at all... on any level.

So, one of the most memorable scenes... one which shows humanity at its greatest will most likely be left out.

I really hope I'm proved completely wrong when I sit in that theater seat... but, to my eyes, it's looking grim.

Vazza
12-13-2004, 11:29 PM

No........

I totally agree. That music would have really pumped up the sense of drama, had they been able (or wanted) to use it. I do suspect that Jeff Wayne wouldn't have allowed them to use his music anyway because he's most likely going to use it for his own animated version that's due for release in 2007:
http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/

I must admit though, I'm really excited about all three current productions and it'll be interesting to see how they all compare with each other :)

Joe_H
12-14-2004, 03:53 AM
GAWD I really dislike tom cruise but I guess I'll suffer his pathetic acting to see thisPlease! Tom Cruise is a very good actor, especially in an age where people praise crap actors like Orlando Bloom, who is without a doubt the worst performer ever to set foot in a film. Every time he takes a paycheck, he's stealing money. Cruise gave very good to great performances in Minority Report, Last Samurai, and Collateral. So you're going to have an impossible time convincing any reasonable person that Tom Cruise is a bad actor. In fact, that notion is a bunch of BS! You would have an even tougher time trying to convince anyone Spielberg's latest work is subpar, because it most assuredly is not.

I know, people like take a dump on whatever is popular or big at the time, especially on the internet. That's why some people feel the need to give Cruise and Spielberg a bunch of crap, not because they aren't good at what they do, but because they're extremely popular and successful in their field.

tjabba
12-14-2004, 04:46 PM
let's be clear now, the musical version of WOTW was pretty grim stuff and only really memorable for the interior art. Perhaps everyone should remind themselves that Mr. Williams was the man responsible for CE3K, Raiders, Empire etc. and really doesn't need to crib from a bit of cringeworthy 70s concept-album slush.
Can't remember a lot of music from any of those except the opening credits music from Star Wars and Darth Vader's theme - yet I'm a big fan of all those movies. For instance, I always get the corny fanfare theme from Superman and the end bit of the Indy theme mixed up. Most of his other work is even less memorable, lately becoming more and more bland.
On the other hand, I can sing 5 or 6 of the musical ideas from Jeff Wayne's album right now, as I sit here. The music is more memorable, more experimental, and much more varied than John's. It may be dated now but that's no indication of it's quality.
John can't lay claim to more credibility just because he uses symphony orchestras.

specialbrew
12-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Hmmm... I think you really need to sit down and watch these movies again to genuinely understand how much Williams contributes to their overall success. Both Jaws and ET - the latter I don't even particularly like much - would be virtually unwatchable without the underscoring that he provides. You might describe the Raider's theme as 'cheesy' (it's actually far from), but I suspect your reaction may be through familiarity and the fact that it has been endlessly parodied since.

Also, Williams is capable of fantastic range as a writer, right from the vaguely Mancini/big band sound he had in the sixties (think Lost In Space), though extremely uncompromising and minimally orchestrated pieces of the mid-Seventies (think Missouri Breaks), to the kind of lush orchestral work he does now. Nor has Williams been afraid of electronics - even the Cantina Band music was augmented by Moog synths.

When I think of the Wayne's War of the Worlds, I can only remember David Essex doing that perculiar 'hooooooooo-laaaaaaaaaaa!!' thing and Justin Hayward sitting on a log or something... :rolleyes:

tjabba
12-15-2004, 07:34 AM
I think you really need to sit down and watch these movies again to genuinely understand how much Williams contributes to their overall success. Both Jaws and ET
Forgot about Jaws, that's obviously pretty much the best example of a theme in movie history. Basically only 2 notes, how simple can you get, yet it says so much...

But as for ET, I don't know. To me it's just an unusually well-made example of the modern tendency to put a wash of clicheed (usually symphonic) music behind EVERY single scene in a movie. They're kissing - strings. They're going to war - snaredrums. They're lonely - slow piano. Evil is coming - male choir (period or fantasy) or heavy metal (teen movie). etc etc It was ok 20 years ago, it's spiralled out of control since then.

It would have been so refreshing with some good tunes in there as well for a change. Why do I doubt that John would provide this? Just judging from his work. He's done a handful really great ones in his lifetime, maybe he'd come up with another great one for this movie, but why not also be using the old album as a source for additional ideas or whatever, since it's there already. Bah. I just loved most of that music, so did my kids when I played it for them recently. I guess there's no discussing taste.

Viridian
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Jeff Wayne's version is a little dated... but it would be difficult to find any concept album 25 years old which doesn't sound a little old-school. Music form changes rapidly.

I still believe it's an incredibly sucessful project. And I still listen to it at least every couple of months.

But, for those who played the (admittedly buggy) WotW PC game; Did you hear the new remixed, updated versions of the music? They were fantastic. So much scope (and gloom) was added.

Wayne's WotW music updates well. I imagine his animated movie will have an incredible soundtrack.

specialbrew
12-16-2004, 06:11 PM
No, you're right: taste is a tricky thing, and pointless debating. I suppose the devil in me wouldn't mind a bit of the old Hoooo-laaaaaa!!! thing snuck into Johnny T's score, just for the post-modern hell of it....

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.